GLQRA, Crystall Falls MI, 9-23-06

peterock

#1 Post by peterock »

I'm actually surprissed Roger hasn't posted anything yet. The turnout was kind of low but it was the last race of the season. I think all the old guys decided to come out or something. We had 9 entries in the +25 class (of course Roger wussed out this time and didn't enter). If I can remember the year correctly, this was the first place this year that had the cement starting pad. All year I have been screwing up my starts. Well not today..........and it made the entire year worth it. Gate drops and it feels like I'm instantly out front. Hit the first corner and I don't remember cutting anyone of or anything. I held the lead for about half the lap and then gave it up to Rob Stier. Which surprised me. I invited Rob to come out of retirement and try out an ATK and look at racing it next year. The guy hasn't raced MX in 4-5 years, but he was right behind me in front of Berger and the rest of the guys. I believe Rob ended up getting 2nd that race. So I pull up to Rob's truck to let him jump on my ATK. He didn't realize the +35 class was coming up that quick. Rob ended up pulling the Holeshot on my quad just as well. He was running 1st most of the race then gave it up to Selle because his pit crew signaled the wrong information. Most of the 2nd motos were cancelled due to a down poor. We managed to get off the 2nd moto for +25. The start was a mess this time. I came out of it in 3rd. I didn't see everything that happened but I know they ended up taking one quad off in the front end loader.

I'm sure Roger will jump on here eventually with more and better details.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool!I talked to Berger he was very suprised at your holeshot.Had to rub it in to him since he just got his motor ported and new bigbore piston in his YFZ!

peterock

#3 Post by peterock »

LOL, Yeah Berger walked up to me and asked who was on my quad for the Vet race.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

He thought his YFZ was fastest it ever has been.He redid it after I spanked him doing rollon drags on blacktop.Will let you know what outcome is next time I run him since he redid it.I like making those YFZ guys spend $!Lets see he now has tried Athena,CP,JE,GYTR and 3 Wiseco pistons,stockbore,big bore,Athena cylinders,Vortex and some other ignition,2 diff HotCam sets,Webcams,WR and stock crank,Multiple pipes(free for testing),Two port jobs,bigger valves and who knows what he doesnt tell me!Thats what it takes.Then you go and beat him on the first holeshot after he did motor over.With your stocker ATK450!LOL!!

azcannon

#5 Post by azcannon »

OUCH Thats enough to make you switch brands

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

Yeah, Pete stole the show with that holeshot. My wife and her friends were crapping their pants over it. I missed it, but it was the talk of the pits. I don't know if it was that holeshot, or Rob leading the Senior moto with the same quad, or what, but when I went riding around the pits with mine, I had to answer a ton of questions. Everyone was suddenly interested in the ATK. "How do you like it? How is the power? How does it compare to the honda? Have you had any mechanical issues? Can you get aftermarket parts? Etc. Etc."
As for me? I decided to only run one class because I was helping a guy out with his first race, and I wanted to make sure I had time to help him. You know how nerve-racking that first race can be.
So anyway, Senior class, moto one: Five of use, including Rob Stier. Two ATKs, two honda's, and 1 suzuki. In the holeshot, I think I was third? Or fourth. Anyway, I passed one guy and got passed by another. I spent the last three laps glued to the back of the 57hp Honda. I was very pleased about that, because this was a very wide open, very sandy track. At the end I could see Rob up ahead in second, the honda in third, and me in fourth. The guy in first was on a ltr and was way ahead. So, I get fourth, but I wasn't too pissed about it, because the guy with all the hp was right in front of me and couldn't get away. Coming out of the corners he could pull a little lead, but I could close easily in corners.
Moto 2. It starts raining as we are sitting on the line. By the time the gate drops, it seems to be pouring. I do believe I was third this time, got passed, made a pass, then got passed again, so settled into third, and stayed back just far enough to avoid serious roost, and just tried to hang on to it for the rest of the laps. The track got soaked and we tore it up like crazy. I was hoping for the guys in front of me to make some mistakes so I could make an easy pass, but they didn't. It was a really fun time, but things got kind of wild out there in the rain.
I ended up third overall. I am ready for some more horse power very soon.

peterock

#7 Post by peterock »

Sad thing was they tried sending the PeeWee qauds out right after the senior class. I think most of them only made it to the second corner before they were flooded out or stuck.

Put it this way, when Roger came off the track he should have been covered in dirt, but it was raining so hard they were almost spotless.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Well I dragged Bergers YFZ today and it definitly has improved.It was too close to call.I could get him at end of fifth but our normal distance it was just too close to call either way.So it looks like I have to spend a little $ this time.I am thinking 98mm CP should do the trick.Pete you pulled a awesome holeshot against him since I know he has alot of motor.Whatever you did keep doing it.

P.S. he still cant believe he got beat at that holeshot Pete!