The lone Cannondale survives again!

jesshamner

#1 Post by jesshamner »

Well I was back in action for the opening race of the Indiana XC Racing Series. This series runs mainly at Haspin Acres Offroad Park in Laurel Indiana. The track was 7 miles of whooped, rutted, muddy,spring fed valleys and hills. It was quite possibly the roughest track I have ever ridden.

We arrived well before the race started. The plan was to pre-ride the course between the bike and quad races. It actually hurt me. This was the first time that I have gone on the pre-ride. I got stuck in the mud holes 2 or 3 times. There were 2 other racers in our team with me. The other guy broke his dampner so he had to catch the main trail and get back to the truck. The girl and I kept going but got really stuck. By the time we got out of the mud hole it was getting close to the start of the race. We make our way to the main trail to get back to the start. The race was supposed to start at 1pm but there was a delay and it started at 1:30. When Kyrie (the girl on our team) and I got back to the truck, it was 1:25. So we fuel up and race over to the starting line.

When I get to the starting line, I was left with a horrible position. I was all the way to the outside and my girlfriend/pit crew chief had to hold the barrier back so I could fit. I was also next to a guy that was obviously new to racing. He relieved some tension whenever he took off with the Vet class that was ahead of us. LOL.

I got off with a typical Cannondale start....last off the line...mid pack (from all that torque) into the woods. I followed the lead pack for the whole first lap. We were like a freight train. It was too fast of a pace for me but I kept up anyway. I was praying that I would get my second wind early so I could maintain the position. At this pace, I knew most would tire quickly. I picked off a few people by taking smoother alternate lines that I had scouted during the pre ride. I started to get arm pump quickly. After coming through for the first lap, it seemed like the people just disappeared. They were right there coming in but were gone when I took off again. So I started running my race with a good steady controlled pace that I could hold for the rest of the time.

The second lap was much more comfortable but I was still feeling tired. It tried to hold my pace but slacked off a little until some people tried to pass me. As I finished the 2nd lap, it was time to change goggles. I went back to the truck to find them but there weren't there. Come to find out, my pit crew chief had them with her just after the finish waiting for me to come through. There was a lack of communication that cost me a couple minutes. I said the **** with them, cleaned the goggles I had, and took off again. At this point, I was rested from the stop, energized from the water, and pressured from the time lost. I was on a tear through the woods. I was passing people like they were joy riding. This was the perfect time to make up the ground due to the over zealous pace set at the beginning. People were tired, and were beginning to make bad decisions. I saw some fast racers completely helpless in the mud holes. I kept up the pace throughout the entire lap. I made some ground on some of the leaders and came in with a group of 4. I began to slow down a little to conserve energy thinking 5 laps was going to be possible. I held the pace and picked off a few people but got lapped by some pros and A class riders. Within 2 miles of the check point , I poured it on to insure my position and possibly make it through for a 5th lap. When I came out of the woods I saw the checkered flag. I was relieved to be finished with the race. I was already sore and weak as I was getting back to the truck. When I pulled into the pit, there was no one around. Its a little deceiving. At first it seems like you beat everyone back to the pits. But then I realized that they were probably out on the 5th lap. A few minutes later, the rest of the team rolled in. Everyone finished safely and few parts if any were broken. I must reiterate the fact that the cannondale finished and there were no mechanical problems whatsoever. I beat that thing to death for almost 2 hours and there wasn't even so much as a flat or low tire.

We packed everything up and headed over to the trophy presentation. They only announced who placed and said the rest of the times would be up on the website by Wednesday. As they read off the B class trophies, I didn't hear mine nor the other teammates names. So we knew that we didn't finish 7th or better out of the 21 people in our class. It was a little discouraging. The female on our team placed 6th in the C class. I think she was the only female in that class and maybe in the entire race. There were 35 people in her class and she rode that great on a 400ex at that! Congrats to Kyrie Brafford, the 17/18 year old phenom!

They posted the results today. I placed 8th in the B class and I was only a couple minutes off the 4 lap leader. Which means...had I not stopped for those goggles, I might have been on the lead lap. Live and learn I guess. I'm happy with my finish. I had actually predicted that I finished in 9th place, so I finished better than expected. The other guy on our team finished 14th in the B class. He said he got stuck in the mud for a little while which really hurt him. I must also mention that this was his first race on his yfz. He has previously raced the sport class on a blaster for about 3 years. And before that he was in the sport class on a 300ex.

I felt really confident on the Cannondale through the whole race. I have had my doubts or feared of breaking down in the past, but its nice to finally count on the Cannondale to carry me to the finish. Thanks again to Timbo for the stroker crank, Wistech for building my engine, BlackwidowATV for some much needed parts, and Canniboomer for the last minute shock tip that saved me money and time.

To those who don't know, I had a shock malfunction while preparing for the race. It was too late to get new parts to fix it but Canniboomer stepped in with some info that allowed me to fix the lower spring collar using parts from my arvins. I had some yfz shocks bolted up but they tested out to be a really rough ride compared to my glamis ohlins. Thanks again Canniboomer!

Sorry but I don't have any pics. I'll get my girlfriend to take on another job as team photographer next time. LOL. The next race in this series is the 22nd of April. Because of the roughness and terrain of this series, I may switch to the Kentucky District 10 series. Either way there will be more reports coming so keep an eye out for the next one.

DMAC10

#2 Post by DMAC10 »

Congrats Jess.

Glad to hear your back into the race scene. Never doubt your pit crew, if you do, they may never go back for another race. LOL. laugh.gif

Good race report, and keep up the Cannondale tradition.

I keep trying to get time to ride, but to much going on at home and work. I really want to hit the MX national at the Balance MX and at least hit the Loretta's GNCC. But right now its not looking to good, especially the MX race.

Keep up the good job and Good Luck.

Remember its better to ride smart and finish, instead of stupid and broke. rolleyes.gif

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

Congrat's, Jess!! That's awesome! Glad to hear you're finally racing, again. You're write-up was good, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. It's great your getting some confidence in your 'Dale. Mine have always been near flawless, but I'm scared that's about to sneak up on me!

Someday I'm gonna get my tail back in a race, gonna' be running the vet class from now on, though! There was a VA state race this past weekend, unfortunately not a chance for me to make it- too much other stuff going on. I'd like to think I can keep the perspective that, for me, racing won't purely about winning any more, it's about getting out, doing some riding, a little competition, and having fun. I may need to print that inside my goggles so I can remember it after the flag drops!

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (NRath @ Mar 20 2007, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to think I can keep the perspective that, for me, racing won't purely about winning any more, it's about getting out, doing some riding, a little competition, and having fun. I may need to print that inside my goggles so I can remember it after the flag drops!

That's the perspective that I take. I tell myself that I'm just going to take it easy and run my own race. Every once in a while I get a wild hair and start living on the edge. But then I re-gain my composure and try to finish out without breaking anything. Its like DMAC said, "...its better to ride smart and finish, instead of stupid and broke."

Thanks for the comments Donny. Have you looked into the D10 races at all? I am thinking about switching to that series. All of them are in Kentucky.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Great Job!Its awesome hearing the race reports again.Gets the blood pumping!

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

Always awesome to see race reports. Man it's been awhile since I've raced in the woods. I'll have to find a way back out east someday to race w/you all.

dalewannbe

#7 Post by dalewannbe »

Great report Jess. I've been beating my stock cannondale for 3 years now, so these quad can take the abuse. You'll get better with each race.

My buddy just did the OMA Kentucky race, he said it the best course he's ever ridden.

yamadjs08

#8 Post by yamadjs08 »

Nice report and nice finish! You've intrigued me to write my own race report LOL. biggrin.gif

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

I just found out that I placed 20th overall in a field of 110 riders. There was only one person in the A class that placed better than I did. Everyone else were pro, Vet, B, and !!!some C riders!!! I'm not sure what happened but one C rider came in 7th overall.