First race of the season... Keithsburg, IL

yamadjs08

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

Well I had my first race of the season, it wasn't a race for our Iowa Series so it was more of just practice for me. I haven't ridden much besides Glamis and this race was about the best practice one could get for being out of shape... It was one of the whoopiest tracks I have ever ridden, and they were long deep whoops with no rythm... It sucked, and you pretty much just had to man handle them haha.

The race was in Keithsburg, IL in the WFO series or the district 17 series. There was a race at the same track 3 weeks ago but a nasty ice storm made for a very low turn out (I didnt make it, no power). Morning started out good, Cannondale took a while to get going it was around 34 degrees. Walked over and registered, and of course took the ole pre-race dump haha and then slowly geared up and got everything ready. We had a parade lap which is new to me, we don't have them in the Iowa series, the first lap is your first time seeing the track. So we have all the racers following a guy on a bike and some how half of the pack gets lost (including me...) and the track is very confusingly marked. But its all good I just want to race. I come back early, knowing that I don't need some parade lap, come on... tongue.gif I get on the starting line and wait. I race in the C class and it was the last row. It was a dead engine shotgun start, and a guy in the B class wrecked hard on the loop around and he wasn't moving much, was not looking good. So they had us go straight out instead of looping around to bypass this guy. Bam shotgun goes, of course like jesshamner, I had the traditional Cannondale start, would not start for anything, started fine warm all morning, dont know whats up. I think it just gets nervous on the line haha. So finally I get it started and the pack is long gone ohmy.gif haha.

Now its time to start making up ground, its ok, Im used to being last of the line. Slowly one by one I start picking people off, some in my class some not. My first two laps I felt fast, and I mean faster than I have ever before. For being out of riding shape, I felt suprisingly good. I was making up killer ground, blazing fast in the woods and pretty fast in the whoops my first couple laps. The whoops were brutal, they just killed everyone and by the 3rd lap I think everyone was pretty wore out... mellow.gif

There was one part where we would get out it the open and if you picked the right line it was smooth as butter, no whoops. This is where the ole Cannondale shined. 4th gear pinned and I made up tons of ground, most everyone was going on the inside thinking it would be quicker and in reality it would be but there were whoops and lots of em. Me and a few others went outside and there were still whoops but they werent too bad. Made up lots of ground there. smile.gif

I didnt kill it once, and it ran like a champ, felt very strong. This is also the first race I ran the correct offset in the front. Last season I ran a honda rim and it killed me. It narrowed the front end and had a lot more roll in the corners. It tracks much better now and feels much more stable.

So by my last lap I was dead, still moving but not near as fast, very wore out. The track was deeply rutted and the whoops again are just brutal. I didnt lose any positions (everyone else was also tired I think) but I dont recall gaining many either. I was happy to hear it was the last lap and so I pushed my self a little harder but was still beat. The race was only 1hr 15min compared to a 2hour race which Im used to. This track is rougher than Im used to also, but less technical, just rough. I think I could have done 2 hours, but it would have been a slow last half hour... unsure.gif

So its over, yes thank god, but Im totally clueless as to where I finished. They had old school scoring where they write it on your helmet, and Im used to the scanners and seeing what place Im in when I get scored each lap. I head back to the truck, grab a powerade and wait for results. I was ready to leave because I didnt want to be there all day. We wait and wait and finally they start posting. Of course C class was the last to be posted and come to find out I pulled a 3rd out of like 12 in my class. Pretty happy to hear considering I hadn't ridden much at all since last season and I came from literally a dead last start... laugh.gif

Sorry for writing a book, but its hard to sum up a race shortly LOL. Yesterday was ****, I've never been so sore in my life. My lower back hurt the most and along with my thighs and sholders, but worst of all my *** was bruised haha. Flying through those whoops really took a toll LOL... unsure.gif Pretty sore today too, but not near as bad.

Here are some pics... It is definitely time for a new camera. My dad was having a though time getting good pics because our camera has a long delay and its all around just a piece of crap. So I'll post what decent ones there was. Also, none of the pics show the whoops, my dad was in the woods, 50% of the track was whoops and they were mostly out in the open, wish I had some pics...

The starting line...

My class...

Me after my class is long gone and Im trying to get the ole girl started haha! ohmy.gif

Making up time...

Point it up a little higher dad...

In the woods...

I'm coming for ya!

Woah theres the rope...

Look at that dale work...

Theres a log...

Fly over the log...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/yamadjs08/RACE027.jpg[/img]
There I am, through the sticks...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/yamadjs08/RACE028.jpg[/img]
On the gas...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/yamadjs08/RACE029.jpg[/img]
Movin...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/yamadjs08/RACE031.jpg[/img]
Getting tired LOL...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/yamadjs08/RACE032.jpg[/img]
Look at that trophy... And me being a fool. Don't mind the hair its getting cut soon... I think haha! biggrin.gif
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/yamadjs08/RACE040.jpg[/img]

So there it is, first race of the season, hopefully many many more reports to come. Hopefully better pictures to, my mom will have to start taking some pics or something, we are about done building my dads race dale so hopefully he will be on the track racing with me. That will definitely make things interesting! ohmy.gif

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

WOW
pics are great... good report... good result!

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

Good work! Gotta love the typical Cannondale start. I'm going to start cranking at the 2 second mark so I can take off with the rest of the group. LOL. I was sore after my race too. I felt and looked like a 100 year old man walking around.

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

Yeah, that's a great write up!! And don't dog the cam, great pics, too! Congrat's on a heck of a race!!

That last man on the line pic is unfortunately priceless! I bet half the races I've run, I'm last or darn near it off the line. That's okay, because the C'dale has always come strolling back in the picture before the race was over!! Once or twice, I actually have gotten the holeshot and actually gave it up willingly. The first man in only means the first man stuck in VA racing.

C27's definitely right, race reports get the blood pumping!!!

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

Just one question....where is all the mud? It has been pretty dry around here but my race was a mud fest. You don't even have to wash your quad off. It took me about $7 worth of quarters at the car wash to get mine clean. I'm jealous.

dalewannbe

#6 Post by dalewannbe »

Great report DJ. Great job on the race also.

Yes, the cannondale start is my biggest gripe with the dale. If I get mid pack that's normally a great start for me. I normally let my dale sit at line for about 5 minutes if possible, I don't start and rev it right before our line is ready to go, like all the other quads.

Keithsburg, must be sandy, since there was no mudd, gotta like those sand tracks.

I'm hoping this warm weather drys up some of the mud around here, of course its been raining cats and dogs now.

I'm looking forward to meeting up DJ sometime.

yamadjs08

#7 Post by yamadjs08 »

dalewannbe, I should make it to the moose run and to "the race" in Morrison. Hopefully we can meet up then. I'm assuming you'll be there? I am planning on also running the one in Millville, MN. Are you racing that one? I would like to do the Waukon one again, but its on the same weekend as our season ender for the Iowa Series...

Oh and thanks for the comments guys, many more reports to come!

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Great report!I gotta ride now for sure.

dalewannbe

#9 Post by dalewannbe »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Mar 22 2007, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great report!I gotta ride now for sure.

What do you mean you gotta ride now for sure? Haven't you been riding, or do you mean you're going to join us at one of the races?

The Moose Run will have plenty of whoops like Keithsburg.

DJ, I won't be at Millville maybe Waukon? I would like to try an IA Series races sometime.

6 hour race is MO sounds tempting too.

yamadjs08

#10 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (dalewannbe @ Mar 23 2007, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you mean you gotta ride now for sure? Haven't you been riding, or do you mean you're going to join us at one of the races?
The Moose Run will have plenty of whoops like Keithsburg.

DJ, I won't be at Millville maybe Waukon? I would like to try an IA Series races sometime.

6 hour race is MO sounds tempting too.

I won't make it to the OMA Waukon, but the IA Series races at Waukon too. You should definitely try and hit up some IA Series Races! Mt.Pleasant probably isn't far from you is it? Take a look at our schedule at www.iatvhss.com

Oh and we are talking about getting 2 teams together for the 6 hour race in MO. Should be interesting!