What a day...

yamadjs08

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

Well I had a race in Indianola, IA today. The place has a killer MX track but we only utilized a little of it for the harescramble. Let me start off by saying it rained the whole way down there, plus heavy they day and night before. It was a mud bath. I was just hoping I would have some luck with my bald ITP XCR's on the rear. But thankfully a friend let me unbolt his hipers with brand new Razr 2's on them. Bolted them up, thanked him a million more times and headed to the line. Of course being one of the last to the line as usual, I barely got a spot in and there wasn't much room for more. Andy (head honcho) talked a bunch and we proceeded on with the race. This time I got a little luckier with starting (tried dialing it in the night before), but still was close to last off the line... laugh.gif It didn't matter, it wasn't a race, it was more like survial. So I just tried to relax, and ride smart, pick good lines and make up some time. Didn't get but half a lap in and my goggles were done for (no tear offs or roll offs...) so I ripped them off. I was a little mad the first lap, not sure why, just hate mud. It was some of the stickiest mud I have ever raced in. It didn't matter where you were, it was nasty. Luckily Razr 2's are awesome in mud. Slowly I worked my way up, the MX part was useless, could hardly getting going fast enough to even get any air. dry.gif My second lap was the worst, after getting led into a dead end (lots of stuck guys) by the officials, along with around 15 other racers, we spent a lot of time sitting. As we look back (across ravine/valley, they start directing the other racers another way (really wrong way but there was no movement at all). But the official right by us told us not to because it would lead us into cross traffic. We literally sat here for probably 30 minutes, biggest waste of time ever. Finally I just got mad and headed back, of course everyone followed... biggrin.gif After that I was fine, luckily I only got stuck twice and I motored right by stuck guys almost the whole race, the tires are again, awesome! My quad probably weighed 6-700lbs from all the mud. I mean 4th gear pinned and you are doing maybe 35mph. ohmy.gif Suspension just getting beat from all the weight. Whatever, I just keep beating on the old girl and she pulled through. I finished (which in its self was an accomplishment) and was clueless as to where I placed. The whole sitting around thing really, really, screwed me over... mad.gif Also, no 2 laps were the same, the course was constantly changing because of the mud and people getting backed up. They really probably shouldn't have had the race, as it really screwed up the land. Oh well, I get back grab something to drink and just chill. Switch out the tires back (could barely lift the rear end on a block because of the weight), because my friend had to race with them in the afternoon race. wink.gif Waited a long time for results, a lot of protesting (ridiculous) and it really held things up. Came to find out I finished in 7th out of I think like 30 racers in my class. Not bad for sitting on my *** for half an hour. tongue.gif

Again, sorry for writing the book, but its hard to sum it up quickly haha.

Didn't get very many pictures, was tough to tell who was who and my dad pretty much gave up...

Starting line...

My class row...

My class getting ready to take off... "Hands on Helmets!"

Tight cattle gates section, was fine first lap, but when you had all that mud, it became very tricky...

Bad pic, but I posted just to show the mud flinging...

Rolling into the checkpoint...

Getting Scanned...

The aftermath...

My helmet probably weighed 15lbs...

Last pic, me being dumb...

There it is, will be racing again next weekend hopefully. So many more reports to come! cool.gif

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Oh the mud ....Im jealous . I love to play in the mud. Way to go .

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome!7th out of 30 is really good.Tell your dad those are really cool pics.Told Timbo to save a few for calender next year.

Sand_Blaster

#4 Post by Sand_Blaster »

Awsome report, I hate the mud too tongue.gif

Sandstorm

#5 Post by Sandstorm »

Holy ship Captian!! That is some real estate on your helmet!!!

ozarkdaler

#6 Post by ozarkdaler »

Better get that helmet cleaned off. You will have grass start growing on it in no time.

Yellowrocket440

#7 Post by Yellowrocket440 »

I believe you're muddery than we are!!!! Great pic and race report!!!
Try using some baby oil or pam cooking spray to deroute the mudd, it actual help some!!!!

yamadjs08

#8 Post by yamadjs08 »

Yep, we've used some pam before, just happened to have an empty can with us...

Thanks for the comments guys, it makes posting these worth while.

Oh and I want to add that there were tons of DNF's from overheating issues, in the back of my head I figured I would, at some point or another. But than I remembered that I'm riding a trusty Cannondale! laugh.gif cool.gif

dalewannbe

#9 Post by dalewannbe »

Great job, DJ.

How muddy was your radiator?

I hate that thick sticky mud, my rear fenders are toast from the mudd.

Glad I was racing in the sand last weekend, don't even need to really wash my quad. biggrin.gif

yamadjs08

#10 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (dalewannbe @ Apr 3 2007, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great job, DJ.

How muddy was your radiator?
I hate that thick sticky mud, my rear fenders are toast from the mudd.

Glad I was racing in the sand last weekend, don't even need to really wash my quad. biggrin.gif

Actually my radiator wasn't bad at all. I have a homemade number plate that is just like the factory front one, serves as a great mud guard. I also am running the UM radiator guard this season, much better than the OMF I ran last season...

My rear fenders also took a beating, but suprisingly they are still in tact and not cracked. I made some extra support for the rear fenders from some spare front fender braces I had on the shelf. Take of the little mounting tabs. Than bolt it up to the higher grab bar mount, you might have to drill the hole out to get the bolt to fit. Than when mounting up, spin the bracket so that it is just barely touching the rear fender and tighten the bolt. Bam! Another fender support for those extra muddy races. Also, you might want to wrap the end with electrical tape or foam or something so that it doesn't dig into the fender. But its a great cheap way to extend the life of your fenders!
Pictures, sorry for poor quality, camera phone. Also, don't mind the muddy quad haha, I still haven't washed it...
[attachment=3135:attachment]
[attachment=3136:attachment]
Kind of gives you an idea of what I am talking about, I hope... cool.gif