4/21/07 Arkansaw WI

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

Round 1 of Ultimate Quad MX
Well the race day finally came, and of course I could use another week to prepare. I just got my trailer back from getting re-wired, so Friday was a busy day trying to pack it, go to work, pack it some more, wait for my wife to get home from her Friday night race, transfer her race quad and gear to our big trailer and hit the road. Well we got rolling about 2am, and had a nice ride over to Arkansaw, arriving right on shedule at 6am. I was so tired from getting zero sleep.

Practice was a timed 12 minutes so there is plenty of time for adjustments if you need to make some. The track had some new sections including a brutal whoops section. The new motor was feeling really strong. The suspension felt like the suspension on a stock suzuki z400. Not very good. I was too **** tired to give a crap though. I adjusted them a little, but didn't really feel like taking them off and moving spacers around or anything. So they will have to do.
+ 35 class. First moto, the gate drops and I spun the tires as everyone else launches. Fortunately they have to restart for some reason. I sit back a little further this time and wala, I come out of the holeshot 3rd. I was really pumped. This new power feels GOOOOD. From what I remember of the moto, I made a pass, got passed, made another pass, got passed again, end up with third. The best thing is, nobody is pulling away now. I have the power I need to compete, now it is a matter of skill and conditioning. So I am very happy. Quad ran great and beat the crap out of me.
Moto 2 I pull a wheelie off the start and let off for a second to bring it down and shift and with this group that is all it takes to be in 7th out of the gate. I finished in 7th and don't think I passed anyone or got passed either. I don't remember much about the moto except for being very happy about the power, and very unhappy about my lack of conditioning and suspension. I don't want to judge the suspension too harshly yet because I'm not in race shape yet and I am also exhausted from no sleep......I get sixth overall for the day. Pictures may or may not be coming. I'll try to find some.

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

Sunday 4/22, Motowoz D-23

After a good nights sleep, and lots of thinking about suspension, I decide to give these shocks another try. I have a set from Adam Warren with me that I could put on, but I want to give these a fair chance first.
My class went out for practice first so I got to play in the mud. That is always fun. I make some minor adjustments to the shocks and hope for the best.
+35 class
Moto 1. There was a utility quad class with one rider in it and they let him run with our class, so there were 12 at the line. Once again I wheelie of the line and even the utility is in front of me. For a second. By the second corner and first rhythm section I was up to fourth. Soon I passed a guy that stalled. I was in third. Pretty soon I'm gettin pressured like crazy by this guy. He passed me in a tight s turn and I passed him back coming out of it. I think I walked away from him when we hit the wide open spot about 200 yards long. My front end felt like it was off the ground the whole time. The bad news is I can barely hang on anymore. I lost my grip on the bars several times off jumps and the guy is still pressuring me hard. Pretty soon we caught the second place guy and he moves over for us! Apparently he was feeling exhausted too. Right after that I let the guy pass that had been pressuring me so hard. I couldn't hang on anymore. I stayed right there for the rest of the way. First moto, 3rd

Moto 2
Wheelie again!!! I'm way in back, but again I come out of the first rhythm pretty good in fourth. They cut us back to only 3 laps for the second moto because of rain coming in. I couldn't have been happier, because by the third lap I can't hold on to the bars anymore, I'm not really racing, just trying to survive. I held on to fourth, with the top three right in front of me and the fifth place guy not even close, so I'm pretty happy. I end up third overall out of 10 or 11. I can't wait to get this suspension figured out and get in betting condition.

For the weekend , the quad ran perfect, it started and ran excellent, tons of power.

dalewannbe

#3 Post by dalewannbe »

Sounds like things are going well for you. Conditioning will help you a lot and so will figuring out your suspension. I predict you'll be in first place here pretty soon. You gotta love the power you now have though.

atvrulz

#4 Post by atvrulz »

I was there on sunday and saw you race. You looked good out there.
Are you going to mazeppa this sunday for D23?

UpsMan

#5 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (atvrulz @ Apr 27 2007, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was there on sunday and saw you race. You looked good out there.
Are you going to mazeppa this sunday for D23?

Thanks! Yes we will be at mazeppa Saturday to practice and Sunday to race. The weather should be great.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

That's a pretty good race report. That sounds exactly like what happens to me on the mx track. Keep it up! You'll get out in front soon.

BTW, What supsension are you running?

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

I was running the american star +2 with ohlins. These are the ohlins that mx tech worked on for me. I am not going to use them again. They flat out suck. I have borrowed a set for now and am going to be fixing mine soon.

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

I've heard good things about Propilot for ohlins if you're planning on keeping them. I have also heard that the new ohlins are different and much better than what came stock on our cdales.

I don't know much about mx suspension though. Ohlins may not be the best way to go. It seems like the hot mx set up around here is Walsh/Fox or PEP. I don't know if you can get that set up for a cdale. It would be nice to have an aftermarket for these things.

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

[attachment=3916:070527_0370.jpg] Suspension is working better since c27 fixed the fronts.