Overdue Race Report

dalewannbe

#1 Post by dalewannbe »

This race was an important race because if I beat my buddy, I wrap up the Spring Series in first place, if I lose my buddy could still catch me. It had rained all week so I figured we would be running a muddy race.

The race location changed and I was glad because my quad was still setup with mud tires from the Moose Run. I think I spent half a day on Saturday tightening bolts and getting the quad ready for Sunday????????s race.

The race was at the Bike Barn, which is part of the Moose Run, so I was anticipating really muddy conditions. People were taping their quads up to prevent mud from hitting their radiators, I didn????????t do that, because my stroker needs all the air flow it can get.

There wasn????????t a big turn out mainly because of the rain. There was only 3 of us in my 30+ class, and probably only about 15 quads total.

The flag dropped and I fired up quick, but stall the quad letting the clutch out, darn big mud tires. I get going again and I????????m right behind my buddy so all is good. My wife and kids made it to the race, it was their first one of the year, so I hoped to make them proud.

Anyone that????????s been to the Bike Barn to race knows it has a lot of deep natural whoops, some tight woods and some big water holes, and a few straight aways where you can wind things out. The terrain there is mostly peat dirt, which is essentially sandy dirt, so that works the motor hard.

The first lap Aaron is pushing pretty hard and I????????m just trying to keep him in my sights. I was pleased the course was changed and our promoter actually took out the big water holes from the Moose Run, and he even took out some of the whoops, so the course wasn????????t too bad, and by the end of the race I was actually liking it.

???? into the first lap my temperature light starts a slow blink. I was hoping to at least make a lap or two before seeing that light. The first lap goes by and I????????m 20 yards behind Aaron, basically on his tires as we wait to get our scores written on our helmets. I????????m keeping him in my sites as he pulls from me a little in the tight woods, my big tires aren????????t the greatest for corning. We come to the bermed switched backs in the woods, and they are rutted pretty deep from all the rain, Aaron????????s hung up but there????????s no way for me to get around him. So we finish lap 2 and I????????m still waiting for him to make a mistake before I decide to try anything crazy. My temperature light is blinking rapidly now. I wave to the family as we head around the corner out to the whoops and the tree line. I????????m starting to feel good now, getting a feel for the course. We finish lap three and I????????m right on Aaron????????s heels now. Its fun racing with your buddy????????s when your just waiting for the opportunity to pass them or vice versa, trying to block them. We start lap four and I figure we close to half way through the race, so I decide I would try and make a pass if the opportunity presented itself. I????????m right on Aaron????????s heels. My temperature light is blinking like the crazy but stopping isn????????t an option. We are going through the whoops which switch back and forth in this field. I????????m waiting for Aaron to push through a turn so I can slip inside him. I see my opportunity ahead as Aaron is going wide into this corner, and I????????m heading to the inside of this corner. Aaron then pulls over and lets me by. Wow, I wasn????????t expecting that, but I????????m not stopping to ask questions.
That was the last I saw of Aaron until about 2 laps later I saw him cheering me on at the check point. He let me know he was out of the race, come to find out his temperature light came on and he decided not to chance blowing his motor.
I still finished the race strong as I felt good and was having fun.

The quad took about 20 minutes after the race to fully cool down, to the point where the fan wouldn't run when I hit the start button.

I finished 2nd overall and first in my class. Good enough for first in the spring series in my class. Now I????????m taking a little breathier trying to get a bunch of stuff complete around my house.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome report once again Gus!Is this first year you took first for series?I know you were always close but missed last races.Man that is muddy.Was there any coolant left?If you have aluminum valvecover try switching to distilled water and WaterWetter.Supposed to work real well but has to be drained if temp is below freezing.Dyno might help the overheating also.Your probably lean at area you ride in.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Awesome report Gus! I love riding in that dirt you were in, except for the mud holes!

cool.gif