Racing

LapTraffic

Racing

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

Im pretty new to this stuff. Im getting a dale in about 2 weeks, I know I want to race.

The problem: I know nothing about race formats.

What the he!! is a TT, or a GNCC, Can soemone point me to some resources on how this stuff is structured and what the different kinds of racing are? What is a hare scramble?

Sorry for the stupid question, I can infer most of the meainings, I just want to know a little more detail.

With a stock Cannibal what class will I be racing in?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

cjpoole1

#2 Post by cjpoole1 »

TT stands for tourist trophy and not all TT's are on oval tracks and some have small jumps

jcv440

#3 Post by jcv440 »

how long have you been riding, and how old are you???? Age and experience is the two things that determine your class...

jcv440

#4 Post by jcv440 »

Originally posted by cjpoole1
TT stands for tourist trophy and not all TT's are on oval tracks and some have small jumps

Not funny man....TT racing takes more skill than you think...a strong motor and a fearless driver. DOn't knock it till you try it!

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

Im older I would guess, 33. I have no racing experience.

I do know that the throttle is on the right hand side, and if I mash that down all the way and hang on I should do ok. smile.gif

Seriously though, I learn very fast, and Im a decent rider... relatively speaking.

The hare scramble looks really interesting. I bought Huevos 4 last night and watched it 3 times. Was pretty good for showing the different race types. MX looks freakin awesome. Man, those guys haul ***!

If racing is something I want to do, and I do, what is the best way to break into the sport other than buying a cannondale? When does the season start? I live in washington state, who would be a good point of contact up there to get started? What mods are 'required' on a quad to race ie: kill switch and nerfs?

Also, anyone using a twist throttle on their dale? any recommendations here?

Thanks guys

jcv440

#6 Post by jcv440 »

my bad, I thought he was indicating it was a leasure race. "Tourist" Sorry

jcv440

#7 Post by jcv440 »

Originally posted by LapTraffic
Im older I would guess, 33.  I have no racing experience.

I do know that the throttle is on the right hand side, and if I mash that down all the way and hang on I should do ok.  :)

Seriously though, I learn very fast, and Im a decent rider... relatively speaking.

The hare scramble looks really interesting.  I bought Huevos 4 last night and watched it 3 times.  Was pretty good for showing the different race types.  MX looks freakin awesome.  Man, those guys haul ***!

If racing is something I want to do, and I do, what is the best way to break into the sport other than buying a cannondale?  When does the season start?  I live in washington state, who would be a good point of contact up there to get started?  What mods are 'required' on a quad to race ie: kill switch and nerfs?

Also, anyone using a twist throttle on their dale?  any recommendations here?

Thanks guys

Best way, would be to pick up a 400ex. You can get ahold of one REAL CHEAP. A stock 400ex is an excellent building block for anything racing. A tether switch is all that is required to start racing. Nerfs are recommended. THey're a livesaver! Contact your local dealerships for info on racing in the area.

Harescrambles are a blast! Don't worry about your first couple of races, just focus on finishing the race at first. Then worry about staying consistent throughout the race, and what have ya.

MX takes a special breed of a person to race. On a quad, you cannot have ANY fear! That's usually how you get hurt. I did one Motocross race, and my MX career was over! lol It just wasn't for me. 300lbs with riding gear and a 400 lb machine loaded up with liquids and mud...doesn't wanna fly too straight or even wanna launch in the air! lol

It's a heck of a sport to get into, just make sure you don't go out on your first race all gung-ho. I've seen people cause wrecks out on MX tracks, because they don't understand the un-written law between riders on a track. It takes some time to learn this.

cjpoole1

#8 Post by cjpoole1 »

Originally posted by jcv440
my bad, I thought he was indicating it was a leasure race.  "Tourist"  Sorry
smile.gif

LapTraffic

#9 Post by LapTraffic »

Thanks for the input. Are there many out there racing cannondales right now?

Would a reasonably stock cannondale be competitive with modified ex and z's at the entry level classes I would be racing in?

BTW, how do the racing classes work? A, B, C etc? what dictates where you race at?

jcv440

#10 Post by jcv440 »

Yep, there are quite a few Cannondales out racing. Nac's has the first factory backed in awhile at all the national events, and there are plenty of dales at the local races.

Yes, a stock Cannibal is very competitive with a modded 400ex or Z400. It even runs with the 250r.

Everyone starts out in the "C" class. You need to win so many races or win the overall points at the end of the year to move up in Class.

"C" is beginner
"B" is intermediate
"A" is expert
"AA" or "PRO" is your pro classes.

So your getting serious about it now? Here's the Washington ATV Association also. Get ahold of them, they can help you out in finding race tracks also.

WASHINGTON ATV CLUBS

Club Calendar
Submit or Update Your Club

Washington ATV Association Main Chapter *State Association*
PO Box 6060
Kent, WA 98064
Email: FSTRNU1999@aol.com
Phone: 253.847.7357
Fax: 253.846.094
Info: We are a non profit organization registered with the state of Washington. We are dedicated to safety of off road sports, events, and land issues. Tread Lightly and lets all ride together!