NECC XC Round 1

2000ex

#1 Post by 2000ex »

Finally there is a new XC series in New England. I have always wanted to run an xc series, however they have been at minimum 5-6 hours away.

The series kicked off in Union, CT and consisted of a 6 mile course with varied terrain, and with 45 degree temps and a heavy dose of rain the night before made things pretty interesting. I entered the Vet B class and unfortunately there were only 12 riders for the afternoon race in total. Our own Derno24 decided to make the trip from PA and interestingly enough was running in the same class as me on a V-Force. smile.gif He said if he beat me on the v-force he would make fun of me on the internet....well them are fightin words mad.gif This was my first taste of a full 2hr race with the exception of running as a team on two 6hr events.

Our class started dead last and sure enough when the flagg dropped I was anxious and could not fire the bike. The other guys were off and I was sitting there trying to get it fired. Once it started I was off but dead last! I quickly came up upon traffic and managed to make a pass as the slower rider let me by. I was hot on the tail of Derno and eating a heavy dose of mud roost from the v-force at every turn. I decided the best plan was to make a hard charge and it paid off as he pulled over to let me pass (thanks buddy that mud was killing me). After the first lap I knew I had first place position in class so I pushed on trying to put some distance on the pack and not making mistakes.

The dale was working beautifully through the mud and I just kept trying to ride smart and know where to go fast so I can continue to put some distance on the pack. After 5 laps I managed to pass all of the B class riders and at this point was cold, soaked and having trouble hanging onto the bars due to mud soaked gloves and grips. Finally I see the white flag I had been waiting for and knew I needed to endure one more lap. On my last lap I noticed a Suzuki and a Honda coming up fast and it was the pro riders coming through, I let them pass as they had a nice little battle going on late in the day. Finally the checkers flew and it was over.

I managed to finish 1st in class and 4th overall for the day. I was pretty pleased with the effort and it was great to see Derno again and his crew at the Quadbuilder. There was a nice uphill section with a ledge exposed that provided a nice jump...At one point I hammed it up and launched it good for several people who were there snapping pics. Hopefully they are posted somewhere, it would make a great photo. Had a blast and am looking forward to round 2.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome! Are you going to run them all? 2hrs is tough. After racing 2 or 3 races you will be feeling pretty good though so it pays to stick it out. Go for the championship!

2000ex

#3 Post by 2000ex »

I will be running all of them. I actually finished that race then drove to Walden in NY for Round #2 of NEATV-MX on sunday. Needless to say I am beat up from the weekend.

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

It was good seeing you again Wes. It was fun up there it was shame the turnout didn't cooperate. I will be missing the next one, but be at the one at the end of June. The Dale will be at that one so we can bang the Dale's all up. My race was very similar to Wes's. Took the holeshot and decided it was nicer to let Wes by and be fair than hold him up. Turns out both of us passed all of the other B riders even though the results didn't show it. They messed up the scoring. Kinda silly with only 12 people. It was good racing with you.

Oh yeah I went from this race to Evansville for a PA state harescramble. Man was I whipped.