District 23/16 Harescramble

UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

This was my first harescramble, so I didn't really know what to expect. I wasn't sure if I should run A-class or +40. I have to run A because I run A at the district mx races, even though its my first time in a Harescramble. I decided on +40 because I really want this to be fun. Running A can be so serious sometimes.
Anyway, the weather was perfect, 80 and breezy. The start of the race is on a mx track. They line us all up according to class, dead engine start. The A class goes, then the B class, then us. The gun goes off, and **** if the quad doesn't fire right up, and off I go, in first. I'm very surprised by this. I have a KTM, Polaris, couple of hondas including the new 700xx thing and a 250r in my class. 7 of us in my class. Two turns into the mx track, I almost put myself over the handlebars over jumping something because I have no idea where I'm going, so I lose two positions right away. I try to stay calm and not be stupid, we have an hour and 45 minutes to race, no sense wrecking right away. Well, by the time the first lap was over I was back in 4th because these woods guys are sneaky. LOL.
I didn't realize you could run over trees and stuff to pass. What a cool concept. These woods guys are nuts. Well, I was right on the guys tail in front of me and he got sick of that pretty fast and he moved over. I got real excited about that and proceeded to run off the trail in no time and got passed back. Well, that happened again, and after that, the guy must have figured I was better off behind him and I really had to work to get by him the third time.....I did pass him when he killed it heading up hill and I never saw him again. Soon I caught the second place guy and he didn't put up much of a fight. I had a good rhythm by then and was feeling good. After a while, dealing with lappers and bottlenecks, I somehow was back in third and didn't even realize it until I passed this guy again. About this time I'm pretty tired and have no idea how long we have been out there, I can't read my watch because I can't hold still long enough to see it. And then, suddenly right in front of me is the guy leading my class. He stopped because his kid was crashed along the trail(he told me that later). It was pretty exciting at that point. I was pretty sure we were first and second. I stayed right on him for a little ways and just didn't have anything left. He pulled away, and left me gagging on two stroke smoke. Yes, he was on a 250r. That was the final lap. He ended up I think 40 seconds ahead of me I think. I'll update that when I see the final results posted on-line.
I talked to him later and he said he bought that 250r back in 1987.
Someone said to me after the race "Your cannondale or ATK sure seems to run good". I laughed and said "Thank you, it really does." Its funny that people still have the mind set that these don't run very good and always blow up. At least he knew what it was, kind of. People really like the looks of the Weapon MX pipe also.
After this race, I don't even feel like racing MX anymore. This was lots more fun. I left feeling like I really got my moneys worth, and more. I can't wait for the next one. Pictures should be forthcoming.

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

Roger, post that on the glqra forum as well. Maybe it'll get some more guys crawling out of the woodwork to race.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats awesome!I agree you sure do get your $'s worth at a Harescramble.Plus its so convenient knowing exactly when your race will start or end.Hope you talk Jenny into getting back into Harescrambles also.Had a couple people mention some guy on a ATK did really well racing.Your a little famous now!

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

I guess that must have been me. I'm sure I was the only one there. LOL. Jenni is talking about doing harescrambles again. She just can't stand to see me have fun without her.

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

Great job Roger, I get the comments at every race either MX or XS about the bike still running. At my last MX race I walked a DASA YFZ in the straights and got the hey....that thing rips. All I say is yeah, it goes ok smile.gif