AMA District 7

TG2891

#1 Post by TG2891 »

Well, I would like to thank everyone for all there help in the rebuilding of my dale. A special thanks out to Dave for all his help with parts and advice.
The bottom line is that the motor runs strong and smooth and all the help I got from this site allowed me to run my first race ever (at age 39 and overweight) and finish 5th out of 10 in class and 16th overall out of 33.
The bottom line is you can take a overweight 39 year old man put him in his first race ever and if he is riding a DALE he is not going to do to bad.

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

Congratulations, that is great! What made you decide to go off-road racing at this age?

TG2891

#3 Post by TG2891 »

Always wanted to just never did it. It was a good time though. The hardest part of it all was trying to keep a consistent pace and not getting in the way of the A class riders and holding them up. I dropped off big time after the 3rd lap (about 37 miles) but had a blast.

Going to try and run 6 races this year. Anyone interested in giving it a try? Virgina District 7

speedracer

#4 Post by speedracer »

Thats not old, I will be 45 in two weeks. I still do one race a year the flat river grand prix, just gotta pace yourself, good luck!

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome! Tip: don't worry about the A guys. Just hold your line and they will find a way around. Pulling over if easy and no chance to get hung up is nice but if any chance of it hurting you just keep on trucking.

2000ex

#6 Post by 2000ex »

Congrats, I still love the looks the Cannondales still get when you show up at the races. Love to see others out there still racing them.

Keep up the great work and you will work your way up if you keep practicing!

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

Congrat's on running the race!! Sounds like you had a very respectable finish. It's a ton of fun. Got any more pics? How was the course? Really tight or a good bit of open stuff?

D7 is primarily run in PA, I think. Most of VA is covered under D13. VXCS runs the D13 races that are scattered all over the state. I got some monkey butt powder for X-mas- maybe that was a clue I needed get a little more seat time on the 'Dale!!

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

Great job Tom!
You have represented us "old timers" really well...... and on a Cannondale!,..... even better.

ljdbn

#9 Post by ljdbn »

Again...congrats on your race! I usually run district 5 ( WV/ PA ) but that didn't work out too good this year as the promoter lost his sanction w/ AMA due to non-payment of memberships he collected from racers when they signed up, soooo.... I've been thinking about district 7, isn't that VA/MD ?? I have a buddy in Winchester that raced vet-C there and he was always trying to get me there. I race senior 40+ and would like some info on the races/ dates .....

jim

TG2891

#10 Post by TG2891 »

Thanks again guys for the pat on the back.
The course was a combo of about 70% woods and 30% field. Thru the wood was a little tight in some areas but not to bad. What got you was that the ground under the mud was frozen solid. Which meant that you had limited traction once you broke the crust. They had a long run of woods too that was off camber and the longer the run the steeper the camber got due to rutting.
It was a good track for my first time due to the limited number of riders. The have annother one lined up there in April. I would do it again.

Jim to answer your question, yes D7 is mostly run VA and MD. The race I ran was only 40miles outside of Winchester. We talked to the rep from D7 while we were there and he said that he has 11 or 12 races lined up for the season. He said that he was going to post the dates in the next week or so but I would check out the web site once he get them posted for accurate info. http://www.amadistrict7.com/quadhs/index.html

TOM G.