First race with the Moto

SlOoT

#1 Post by SlOoT »

Today I had my first race with my Moto. It was a hot day and the track was perfect, not to much dust.

First moto went ok, took a top 5 position, dunno excactly, from a total of over 20 quads. Had to race against some fast ones like the new Polaris MX with KTM engine, W-tec Evo with CRF450, W-tec with KTM 525, KTM 625 and some other 450's (heavily tuned).

After the first moto the Moto got lots of attention, people are like "what is that" and "omg, it's fast". And they also liked the sound (fmf ti and podfilter)

The second moto did not go so good. In the first lap a Polaris 525 stalled in a corner and I was close behind him and had to stop and then someone else behind me did not notice it and hit me full speed. So my FMF ti is a mess, muffler is destroyed and the header bend. I did not notice it untill after the race, I still took a top 5 position.

Lucky thing is there is a exhaust manufacturer 200 yards from here. I'm gonna see if they can fix the muffler. I think I can repair the header myself, since it's only bend a bit.

I also have 2 nice pictures, I bought them after the race at the track. Gonna see if I can get them scanned within a few days.

m_mcgranahan

#2 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

Congrats on the tops 5 finishes. Pretty good for the first time out on it.

BTW I have an fmf ti the the inner core had been broken on both ends and a fellow daler told me to cut it off straight and then cut the outer can down to fit the core length again and then rivet it back together. SO now I have a custom fmf ti that is 1.75 inches shorter than stock :-) Anyhow you might be able to do the same thing with whats left of your can. Just my 2c

GOd bless...

Mark

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

Man.... One of the many reasons I cannot bring myself to spend a lot of time on a track.... No full coverage insurance! LOL

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome!Yes the Ti can can usually be straightened out as long as they arent cracked.Just find a socket or something same dia to drive through the core and can itself.

m_mcgranahan

#5 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

If an post pics of your Ti system damage, I am pretty sure that someone here would be glad to give advice on how to fix this the best way possible. Keep in mind that the Ti headers are pretty brittle, so I would consider using a propane tourch to heat it before you try to bend it.

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

Dachshund

#6 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Apr 11 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man.... One of the many reasons I cannot bring myself to spend a lot of time on a track.... No full coverage insurance! LOL

Your rides are always top notch for sure James.

Us MX guys are a different breed. If your serious about being competitive and winning races your going to be bumping and grinding with someone at some point especially in the first turn. One track I raced at regularly was tight and loamy. Hard to pass in turns because the track always got rutted pretty bad. I've bumped many from behind trying to get a pass. I've received a few myself.

I blasted a stalled racer once too. Only thing that happened to me was a 2" gash in one front tire. Didn't even know it till I got back to the pits.

First thing I did to my Ti exhaust was to cut off 2 1/2" of the can to help protect it.

joep1219

#7 Post by joep1219 »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Apr 12 2009, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your rides are always top notch for sure James.

Us MX guys are a different breed. If your serious about being competitive and winning races your going to be bumping and grinding with someone at some point especially in the first turn. One track I raced at regularly was tight and loamy. Hard to pass in turns because the track always got rutted pretty bad. I've bumped many from behind trying to get a pass. I've received a few myself.

I blasted a stalled racer once too. Only thing that happened to me was a 2" gash in one front tire. Didn't even know it till I got back to the pits.

First thing I did to my Ti exhaust was to cut off 2 1/2" of the can to help protect it.

man you guys are killing me! lol. i just can't wait to get my moto back together! it's been a long long long winter and i'm ready to ride! anyway keep up the racing, have fun, and be safe!

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

2 pictures.

moto440

#9 Post by moto440 »

nice pics, quad looks nice. i took 4th out of 7 riders in my first race this season on my moto

Dachshund

#10 Post by Dachshund »

Man that is crazy they make you jump over a railing. Looking good. Aint it a blast?