Another Double Report...

yamadjs08

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

Well as usual we kicked off the year with a muddy race. Not a great turn out because of the 3 days of rain up to the race. But still a decent turn out regardless. My quad is tired and needs rebuilt, so I ran my dads stock Cannibal with all my goodies slapped on. I seriously considered using this race as my throwout but we only have one throwout for the year and I know that I will have a DNF eventually.

Last year this was most definitely my favorite track. Lots of elevation change and swooping rolling hills, very fun, some good technical, and not too rough. But because of the mud it was not quite a race, more of survival. I didn't get stuck too much actually, but by the end of the race the ruts were getting very deep and anybody with a straight axle would get hung up.

So onto the pictures! Gotta thank my parents for being there and taking pictures.

All spiffed up with some of Jeff Stoess' goodies haha.

The starting line. As you can see, still a pretty good turn out. This race both morning and afternoon classes raced together.

You can see the rain, it rained on and off the whole race. My class was just starting.

A little ways after the start

Already crazy muddy. Goggles were done for instantly from roost, forgot to buy more tear offs.

Creek crossing right after the check point, very easy, not too deep like that ridiculous OMA series... tongue.gif

Flying out of the creek. Not sure what this guy is pointing at haha.

Another creek shot, Cannondales are great in water believe it or not, that high airbox does wonders.

Mmm roost.

A shot on top of one of the hills looking down on the parking area.

yamadjs08

#2 Post by yamadjs08 »

Another shot on the hill. You can see where the parking area is, but everybody parked on the road because everybody in the parking area was buried.

Part of the track on the hill, very muddy.

Getting some fresh goggles, didn't last but half a lap...

Some gloves too...

At the checkpoint, in a barn.

Right after the checkpoint, right before the creek.

Finally last checkpoint, done with the race! You can see the relief on my face haha.

Poor Cannondale... Didn't skip a beat though.

I usually have some home made brackets holding the rear fenders up for these mud races but kind of forgot. Ooops.

Thats it for the Spragueville, IA race. I ended up with 6th, not bad considering my lap was almost an hour long because of the track condition. I was in 3rd for most of the race but really got screwed on that last lap. Had fun, felt good racing again. Gotta love being the only Cannondale in the series. These pictures really don't do justice for the track, it was 8 miles long and my parents only took pictures around the parking.

gml1998

#3 Post by gml1998 »

QUOTE (yamadjs08 @ May 24 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another shot on the hill. You can see where the parking area is, but everybody parked on the road because everybody in the parking area was buried.

Part of the track on the hill, very muddy.

Getting some fresh goggles, didn't last but half a lap...

Some gloves too...

At the checkpoint, in a barn.

Right after the checkpoint, right before the creek.

Finally last checkpoint, done with the race! You can see the relief on my face haha.

Poor Cannondale... Didn't skip a beat though.

I usually have some home made brackets holding the rear fenders up for these mud races but kind of forgot. Ooops.

Thats it for the Spragueville, IA race. I ended up with 6th, not bad considering my lap was almost an hour long because of the track condition. I was in 3rd for most of the race but really got screwed on that last lap. Had fun, felt good racing again. Gotta love being the only Cannondale in the series. These pictures really don't do justice for the track, it was 8 miles long and my parents only took pictures around the parking.

Great pics.Are you sure thats a Dale under all that mud? laugh.gif

yamadjs08

#4 Post by yamadjs08 »

The next race was at Fort Dodge, Iowa. I believe I've posted a report for this place before. The race was actually today, and it was beautiful out, perfect race day, they got a bit of rain the day before so there was a little mud, but mostly tack and it was really dusty out in the dry open. This track is fun, but very rough, lots of dried out ruts, and whoops. Definitely a good break in race for me considering I haven't ridden at all besides the last race. The track is actually around a dirt track for stock cars. Lots of woods all the way around it. We've been racing here for years now, always a good turn out, lots of people. I ran my dads quad again. Can't thank him enough for having 6 Cannondales to keep me racing haha. laugh.gif

On to the pictures.

On the starting line. Gotta love the rare black deletes.

Back to normal with split classes. Slower guys (me) in the morning and the pros in the afternoon.

And we're off the line, my dads quad started pretty decently.

Around the first turn.

Heading up the first hill. You can see how dusty it was, it got worse throughout the day.

After that first hill, lots of whoops, really had to milk it, couldn't really double em up.

Coming up on the checkpoint.

Again by the checkpoint. Didn't get too many pictures today.

Getting scanned. You can barely see the 9, I was in 9th most of the day.

Coming down this cool little rock hill they incorporated into the track.

yamadjs08

#5 Post by yamadjs08 »

Right after the rock hills, whipping around the loose gravel.

Flying down a hill.

In the woods.

Another shot in the woods. A Cannondale blur.

Ended up with 11th. Not happy with my finish, but that's what you get for not riding and practicing at all. But I had a great day and had lots of fun. Can't wait for the next race.

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

Hey D.J., and congrats on your return to the racing circuit!
I like how you undermounted the number plate to work with that front bumper.
....and the camouflaged mud-pics are priceless! tongue.gif

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome Race Report!Wow it was raining hard at that first one.Way to stick it out.Mud is fun till you get stuck eh?Looking forward to more reports.

yamadjs08

#8 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ May 24 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey D.J., and congrats on your return to the racing circuit!
I like how you undermounted the number plate to work with that front bumper.
....and the camouflaged mud-pics are priceless! tongue.gif

Actually the front number plate is home made. My dad is a commercial roofer and the number plate is made out of white EP membrane. With black letters welded on. I have a Cannondale front number plate but with the PRM front bumper it sticks out a bit and I was concerned about it breaking, seems like they are getting more and more rare. I did the same for the rear plate, just cut a template off of the Cannondale one. The membrane is very durable and my old rear plate lasted for 3 years, it was still fine when I took it off, but I thought I'd freshen her up this year a bit.

Anything to save some money, my first couple races I was losing plates all the time (common race plate sold at races). If there's any other endurance / XC racers out there I could whip you up a plate. Makes for a great mud guard too. At those muddy races everyone is taping up their front end but I never have any issues. wink.gif

Thanks for the comments guys, makes posting this stuff worth while.

ScramblerXLE

#9 Post by ScramblerXLE »

I like to see that folks are still racing them biggrin.gif! My KTM is my GNCC rig, but my 505 'dale is getting closer and closer to completion (at this point I'm just waiting on new nerf bars from Black Widow) and with any luck, I'll be putting it through its paces in the Southern Ohio Cross Country (SOCC) series B class later this year. It will be nice to have a local machine and a national machine, because the nationals let me get away with a little more width than the locals do, and this also allows me at least 2 weeks of down-time for each machine between events, so I can stop over-nighting parts... Race reports to come. I was hoping at the next SOCC in 3 weeks, but we'll see, if brad still doesn't have nerf bars, the KTM will be at that round...

peterock

#10 Post by peterock »

Looks like the same place of the first 12 hour race I went to in Fort Dodge. Too bad that event wasn't still there.