ITP Quadcross Rd #7 9_19_09 speedworld report...

m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

HI,

I deceided to ride round #7 of the ITP Quadcross series. I got there early and rode the practice this time, (that was a big help)

Moto 1: They did a split gate for the 30+ vets and my moto was drop #2. I was still fighting with my googles when they dropped the gate so I was at the back off the line. I fought hard and passed a couple riders. Then one guy lost a motor so that was an easy pass. I ended up in 5th place out of 8 riders. Not too bad considering the start.

Moto 2: My quad stalled briefly as I was pulling up to the gate but refired right away. I got a good start and was mid front of the pack. I was on a tear! I was hitting everything hard and fast and I was feeling on top of the world! I was almost downhilling the big table on the back stretch and did down hill the big stepup right before the start finish line. I was so pumped...that is untill it stalled going into the dark corner before the back stretch. This time no refire and it cranked really slow. Turns out I spun the flywheel. Such a bummer! It was still a blast and I wish the other rounds were closer to Tucson so I could go. I ended up in 7th place overall.

I got to meet Josh Creamer that night. Didn't talk long but he seemed to be a pretty cool guy and he said his first quad was a Dale Moto. He siad it was really front heavy, but he liked it other than that. Pretty cool.

You can see pics here http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto....id=9&pos=10

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto....d=12&pos=13

Hope you have a great day.

God bless... Mark

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

Nice report and cool pics. That sucks about the flywheel. Good thing it didn't happen heading off a jump.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Dangit! This has got to be fixed. Sounds like you had fun even though. Appreciate your awesome race reports.

Kuma

#4 Post by Kuma »

Mark,
is this the same spun flywheel reported last week or another one?
We should try to figure what is the cause or is it totally random.
Maybe someone could start a poll with the following choices:

Where do you think your flywheel spun,

Drag type start, dropping the clutch.

Acceleration, max load.

Deceleration, engin braking.

Landing a jump, on the gas.

Landing a jump, off the gas.

Other, explain.

What do you think, may not fix anything but might taylor your riding style to help make them last longer.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Sep 28 2009, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mark,
is this the same spun flywheel reported last week or another one?
We should try to figure what is the cause or is it totally random.
Maybe someone could start a poll with the following choices:

Where do you think your flywheel spun,

Drag type start, dropping the clutch.

Acceleration, max load.

Deceleration, engin braking.

Landing a jump, on the gas.

Landing a jump, off the gas.

Other, explain.

What do you think, may not fix anything but might taylor your riding style to help make them last longer.

Some ppl have never spun them. Most that do are dune riders/drag racers. A lot of it balancing I believe. Some stock ones where balanced. I also think if the crank is a little out of sync it makes it worse,the flywheel wobbles and the stators pull on it just rocks it back and forth. It doesn't seem to really matter what size motor" for the most part". We have tried lapping the flywheel but I cant say for sure it did anything. Also torquing the flywheel nut is a good idea,30 to 35lbs i think it what the book calls for? As for when it does it,most seem to happen after a long pull/end of race. But I've had them fail right off the line also.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

I don't think you are going to find a common theme for when these spin. They just do. Or they don't. I've spun three on the same motor. Once wide open, the other two times, just motoring along, thankfully on flat ground.

m_mcgranahan

#7 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi

Yeah I was really greatful to God that it spun right after a decent table top and right before a small jump into a dark corner of the track. Could have really been bad there.

As for the flywheel spinning thing, it is ther result of lots and lots of strees that leads to stress cracks and then BAM she lets go. Cannoboomer has some good ideas that could solve this and Waynes new setup may be a good fix too.

GOd bless...

Mark