Am i to old?????

pdavis

#1 Post by pdavis »

old??? i am 39, i run +35 mx (and get smoked) i am to young to ride +40 hare scramblesso i ride 4 stroke C and if i finish the race i am a top 10 rider and i can run TT with just about anyone with a woods set up (i think)biggrin.gif

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

34 is old????
Well, I'm not quite there yet (32) but I guess my wife is right when she say's "your getting old" .
Actually I don't think you are ever to old. I teach some ATV safety schools, and also do MX riding schools.
First thing I teach is to keep this all about FUN!!
No matter your age, it is not any fun getting hurt. A prime example of keeping it real, watch a 7-10 year old riding in a yard for hours upon hours (I used to) with a huge smile on his face.
second thing: Safety (which probably should be first) but just because you go to an mx track and see someone jump a 90 footer, doesn't mean that you have to.
Win or lose really shouldn't matter, unless your initial are "RC", or you go by the name "Bubba". Those guys get paid to win. I run in the pro class, and can normally hang up front for a few laps no problem, but when I get tired and start making small mistakes, I'll settle down and let the faster guys go. Not saying I pull off or anything, I'll hold my own line and if someone is behind me and faster, he'll find away around.

atvrulz

#3 Post by atvrulz »

Doug Gust won pro production last year at age 34 or 35. You just have to work a little harder to be in shape, to keep up or stay ahead, of the youngsters.

pdavis

#4 Post by pdavis »

thats all you need to know, after a hare scramble, i am spent, if they had a fat out-of-shape class, i would be first in line at sign up, but i am a competative person, if its racing for a top position or duking it out for last, i just want to have some fun, and try not to get hurt

JeffQuadShop

#5 Post by JeffQuadShop »

32 here and still looking foreward to racing for years to come! :head:

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

36 and still having a blast.I dont jump much anymore but a good holeshot,fast cornering and a dont quit attitude are all that are needed to have a great sense of accomplishment no matter where you finish and I bet it wont be last!

USAMoto00

#7 Post by USAMoto00 »

I am 30 and I can tell you that you are as young as you think you are. I just won the Overall in Woodsman Quad Mx ( B, C, and Beginners all grouped in one ) and my biggest competition was a 15 year old. Although this was my first full year of racing, the old wisdom routine won out in the end. You have the "been there and done that" feeling by being a little older and you know when to go for it and when not to, to be safe. Finishing races is sometimes more important than winning them. " Sometimes to go faster, you have to slow down", that works!!! Trust me! Good luck, and just have fun. It will all fall into place after that.

Ryanstones

#8 Post by Ryanstones »

This guy is older than me and i'm 36.
he said he heard from Tom (petty), "Never slow down, never grow old". :bow:

I'm givin it my best. biggrin.gif

I think a majority of 'dale owners are 30-40.

Ryanstones

oops

#9 Post by Ryanstones »

forgotthepic

thunderwolf

#10 Post by thunderwolf »

34 here and lookin forward to the pro class racing season this year. When I decided to race last season (haven't ridden a motorcycle, three wheeler ot quad for 15 yrs) I couldn't decide what class to race in. I figured what the he** I used to be fast so I started in the pro class, so far that was a good decision. I haven't finished below 4th yet. I also didn't want to sandbag for my own peace of mind. My muscles do feel it a lot more than they used to, but I think that is because I used to ride ALL the time. It didn't matter if it was 120 degrees out, I was still on my motorcycle.
Doug Eichner and Nic Granlund are as old as me or older, and they still win a lot of races.