miles mountain 8/29

cdrookie

miles mountain 8/29

#1 Post by cdrookie »

second half of the season starts tomorrow:) can't wait after having a month off. i think the USPS lost my bearing carrier so i had to "rebuild" my broke one.:mad: should last for 1.5 hrs.

they're callin for rain with highs in the 80's. derno said last race up there, the course was extremely tight in places and turnout was light since its so far away(4-5 hrs).

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Here comes the fun guys let's get ready to rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

wow, what a race!

got up there after a 4 hour, 200 mile drive. got registered and everything and decided to start walking the course. i was dead tired after the first 15 minutes! had to go up a big hill then down it, then thru some switchbacks that took you back up the hill. bugs were horrible but i continued... stopped and talked to a course worker when the bikes started and he gave me some avon skin so soft, that stuff really helps keep the bugs away! he said the track was a little over 5 miles long.

after 2.5-3 hrs of walking i finally got back to the finish line! i swear that track is longer than the baja 500!!! i didn't think i was gonna make it back for the quad start. i was thinking the paramedics were gonna have to air lift me out of there. my legs were like jello and i was so dehydrated. i wrecked 3 times just walking the course!

cdrookie

#4 Post by cdrookie »

got back and still no derno. but he came pulling in shortly with his new ride. a few minutes before the start Owen, riding a 400ex, showed up. when he's not at the races, it is usually pretty easy for derno and myself. he likes the rough tight tracks and is a real good smart racer. turnout was light with maybe 14 quads, 5 A class and 4 of us C classers.

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

I 'll continue a little.

Well even though there was only 4 of us it was a good class. After looking at things 3 of us could have rode in the A class and done well. I figured this to be more of a tune-up race after not having raced for 3-4weeks. We lined up me riding a quad that I only ran one lap on at Rausch. The flag drops and I get the holeshot with Owen on my heels and rookie right behind him. I kinda overshoot the first corner and Owen dives under me and takes the lead. Hit the next corner and I am right on his heels Rookie informed me later that he was right behind us till we hit a long striaghtaway where he slowed down due to a lack of visability.

Now the stupid factor of the day. I was 2 quad lengths behind Owen and flying hard up this hill. I have been to this track once before and knew where the course was supposed to go, but I made the mistake of following Owen. Which quickly turned Owen and I from 1-2 to 3-4. I realized the mistake quicker and spun around making up for lost time.

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

3 posts and we haven't even made it past half of the first lap! Come on, guys!

Rookie- Get a bike!!! Makes the trip a lot easier.

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

Nrath we haven't even made a 1/4 mile yet!

Ok now back to the race. Well Rookie is now in the lead and should have had a huge head start. I am leading Owen and we quickly pass 2nd place and now I figure it is going to be tough keeping Owen off my back. It didn't take long for me to mess up. After working the switchbacks on the mountain and then entering the woods I stalled it. Owen passed me easily. Well I fire it back up and get running after Owen. I didn't figure that in 2 mins we would see Rookie again. Well there he was. Running about 100 yds in front of the 2 of us.

Now I had just picked up 465strokers quad and was getting used to the handling which made it all the more interesting. I am used to 14-39 gearing and today I was running 13-42. Well this came into factor as the race wore on due to me stalling it so often.

Some background on this course. It was either one lined with minimal places to pass or it was open fields with super fast striaght aways and yes there was some mud mixed into it too. With the humidity the mud smelled aweful. Like poop! Yes you could even smell it while riding.

465stroker

#8 Post by 465stroker »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Derno24

Now I had just picked up 465strokers quad and was getting used to the handling which made it all the more interesting. I am used to 14-39 gearing and today I was running 13-42. Well this came into factor as the race wore on due to me stalling it so often.

So lower gearing makes it stall easier?? smile.gif

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

I must also add that this race was the most fun and action I have ever been involved with. 3 good riders all duking it out for better than half the race.

Well now it was Rookie in 1st, Owen in 2nd, and me in 3rd. All within 50 yds. I forget where, but I think Rookie allowed Owen to go by and Owen took off. I marched up behind Rookie and something strange happened he let me by too. Well I figure somethings wrong and look at him, but everything looked in order and he was still running so off I went. I guess Rookies plan was to just race with me. I quickly learned that this quad was excellent in the tight stuff as I was darting through the trees. Rookie was still behind me and not threateneing, but close enough. Well then it happens flame out. I stalled the quad again. Takes a couple cranks and vrooooom off I go, but in the mean time Rookie passes me.

Then it happens again Rookie lets me go buy. I wish I could have taken better advantage of this as I was riding well in the tight stuff. Then it happens again about 1 min after rookie lets me pass I fart out again. Man am I getting frustrated. This isn't the machines fault as it was running flawlessly. It was my error.

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 465stroker
[QUOTE][i]So lower gearing makes it stall easier?? smile.gif [/QUOTE]

No, but my riding skills take a while to acclimate them selves to new machines. smile.gif

I suck!

I think it has more to do with me riding in gear and lugging it real low. I do this in 2nd on mine, but with the gear change I had to figure out where I wanted it. That took me almost all of my race time.smile.gif