Flying Dutchman / PA State Series #1

Derno24

Flying Dutchman / PA State Series #1

#1 Post by Derno24 »

Well it is that time of year again and I really wasn't looking forward to this race at all. We have had snow on the ground for several weeks and it started getting warm at the beginning of the week so I expected mud and more mud with some ice mixed in. Well guess what I was right. It was super sloopy. I was debating all week if I was even going to go or not.

Well I get to the sign-up booth and another debate pops up. Which class to run. I classed up to B class at the end of last year so my choice was either B class or Vet. Vet is pretty tough locally, but there are less people in the class so that would mean less mud.

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

I look at the sheets and there were 23 people signed up for B and there was alot of time to go. There was only 13 people signed up for Vet. I played it safe and decided to go to vet and just have some fun. Everything looked good to go. I was looking around and I didn't see Cdrookie. I know we had our share of arguements, but I was looking forward to seeing him again. I spotted Owen Kapalski, Ben Rollison, Chad Kirby, and Randy Brandt. I was chatting it up with Randy and Chad as they will be the other 2 guys running with me in the 6-12 hr events.

I am going to continue this report after I resize some pics!

JLHUGHES750

#3 Post by JLHUGHES750 »

sorry Derno its all I got!!smile.gif

JLHUGHES750

#4 Post by JLHUGHES750 »

oh wait heres Randy Brandt:eek:

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Jay thanks! I see you got a pic of me on the first lap. I know because after that lap I was riding without goggles for the other 6. I had to laugh though. I kept riding by you and wasn't sure if you were just smiling or laughing at me.

Looks like you and your son were having a good time though.smile.gif

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Only 3 Cannondales at the race. Every year there is less and less of us. I like it better that way!

JLHUGHES750

#7 Post by JLHUGHES750 »

wink.gif

I felt like doing this:w:

u guys were diiiirrrrttaayy

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Well here is the continuation of my story. As I have made known to alot of people I really don't care for this track at all. I am a XC guy and this track has alot of TT/MX stuff and is just alot of turns. I mean alot. Well I signed up for vet and waited for the start of the race. We get to the line and I get an inside starting position so I figure not to go for the holeshot due to everyone else flying to the point I was going to. Plus I figured since this was my 2nd race in the faster class I would just get a feel for how things were going to be.

The real reason I figured with a dead engine start the Dale wouldn't fire right up. Guess what! I was wrong. It fired faster than the 2 guys next to me, but I still didn't pound on the gas. I sat back and figured on following. Well guess what. I got pounded with mud, water, and roost. My wife who was watching asked me what I was thinking as I was completely covered in mud before the first turn.

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

This is a pic of what not to do at the start of a race! Notice the only person bathed in mud is me!

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Here is one of the A class start. Smiley on the orange Predator, Chris Borich to the far left on the Honda.