CannondaleRiders hit Hatfield-McCoy

jinx44

#11 Post by jinx44 »

FYI, schedule shows they are closed the 24th.

jesshamner

#12 Post by jesshamner »

Who is closed? The matewan house or the trails? I don't see any where that says either of the 2 are closed. Could you provide a link?

I definitely want to ride Buffalo Mtn because I haven't been there. But I will say that Bearwallow was pretty good when I was there. If we stay somewhere in that vicinity then we could ride Buffalo Mtn, Bearwallow, and Rock House.

jinx44

#13 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Jan 28 2011, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who is closed? The matewan house or the trails? I don't see any where that says either of the 2 are closed. Could you provide a link?

I definitely want to ride Buffalo Mtn because I haven't been there. But I will say that Bearwallow was pretty good when I was there. If we stay somewhere in that vicinity then we could ride Buffalo Mtn, Bearwallow, and Rock House.

The way I read this, the trailheads are closed:

http://www.trailsheaven.com/planyourtrip/userpermit.aspx

But it also says they are open 365/yr. So maybe that is just the staff hours?

jesshamner

#14 Post by jesshamner »

Its kind of an open trail system. They do have trail marshalls but its not like you go to a gate and pay money. You buy a pass at the chamber of commerce or from a local grocery store or places like that. The trail head is just a big parking lot with a bathroom and a trail map station. In some places, they don't even have that. In Gilbert, it is basically a trail off the main road. You turn off the hwy and on to the trail and start climbing the hillside.

speedfreek

#15 Post by speedfreek »

Anybody know what noise restrictions they have? Do you need headlights?

jesshamner

#16 Post by jesshamner »

Last time I was there I didn't see one person that actually worked for the organization. I'm not sure there are any restrictions on the trails, but maybe in town. You won't need headlights unless you get stuck out there after dark. The park closes after dark.

origdragon slayer

#17 Post by origdragon slayer »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Jan 28 2011, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last time I was there I didn't see one person that actually worked for the organization. I'm not sure there are any restrictions on the trails, but maybe in town. You won't need headlights unless you get stuck out there after dark. The park closes after dark.

I would be able to go maybe Beth but she wasn't too interested. I will check it out some. We are talking about camping a night or hotels both nights?

Jonathan Krum

NRath

#18 Post by NRath »

I'm 99% sure the "Closed" part is only referring to the stores at the Trailheads. About 1/2 the times I've used a trailhead, the store was closed. I'd expect the parking and bathrooms are still open.

Machine requirements are pretty slim. No sound restrictions that I could find, but it's probably there somewhere. KFXBryan rides the loudest quad on Earth and he's never had any problems. I'm sure they'd say spark arestors are required. I can only think of one time in 4 or 5 trips that I've ever seen any kind of enforcement on teh trails. And they didn't stop us.

Trailpasses are $50 and good through Dec 31st. The Matewan House I mentioned has a large room for 6 or 8 and several smaller rooms for a couple each. I called today to check availability, but got voicemail. I"m certainly open to camping if someone can recommend a spot for us.

I've never been to the Indian Ridge trails, which are the newest system. But they're a pretty good ride from everywhere else. I could skip the Little Coal River system. As for teh rest, I don't think there are any disappointments! Probably not at Little Coal River either, it was just real wet both times I've been there.

NRath

#19 Post by NRath »

The Matewan House is an awesome place, but it's definitely not the most centrally located.
1hr 40mins to Pinnacle Creek
54 mins to Rockhouse
1hr 53 mins to Indian Ridge
1hr to Bearwallow
1hr 15 mins to Little Coal River

Funny part is the time is long, but they're like 45 to 60 miles. I don't really mind the drive. The scenery is definitely a part of the fun. Driving around the small towns is a trip! But if we can find somewhere more central, I'm open. Just need some suggestions.

I've stayed at the Super8 and another hotel near Logan- not impressed enough to do that again. Logan is pretty central, though. I'd rather find one of the places with cabins or a bunkhouse or camp.

If you want to map something out/check distances, go to Bing.com, then Maps, and search for "H-M Trails". I've put the trail systems in there. You can then get directions and check travel times to the trailheads. Its a little more helpful than the map on the trailsheaven site.

jesshamner

#20 Post by jesshamner »

If we decide to camp, I highly recommend Chief Logan State Park. Its a nice spot and centrally located. There have been several group rides that camp there.