Cheezehead dune ride 2008

cannondale27

#31 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats what all the guys say till they hook a load up and actually do a real mileage count. Right around 12 mpg is all I have ever seen out of any truck pulling a good load and doing 65+.

jesshamner

#32 Post by jesshamner »

That's what I get with our set up that we brought to Majestic the last 2 years (z71 5.3L). 12 mpg maybe 13 if I'm lucky. Never under 10 mpg though.

thedeatons

#33 Post by thedeatons »

I get 10 towing my 37' 5th wheel, with 3 quads on a trailer behind it, through the mountains....

My trailer is a Triton aluminum (ATV128), so the Duramax never even feels it back there....

The term "load" is subjective. smile.gifsmile.gif

cannondale27

#34 Post by cannondale27 »

I think its more of a aerodynamic thing than anything. Trailers are all sails that just kill mileage. I remember coming into Salt Lake city put truck in neutral and fastest it would go was 72mph everyone else had to use their brakes.

UpsMan

#35 Post by UpsMan »

Thats like having a huge parachute back there. My next trailer is going to be a v-nose.

OverKill

#36 Post by OverKill »

Hey Guys, Overkill (aka Jared) here, the guy with the Zuke. It was a great trip with WisTech and my brother. This was my brother and I's second trip to the dunes with John. The last one was four years ago! Can't wait that long to go again. If you do go to St. Anthony's, be sure to go up the dunes on the side of the mountain (straight in from Thunder mountain) the ride up is great cause you just keep climbing and the view up there is awesome. Also go to the right of the mountain from the parking lot and up to the edges. The dunes run right into brush and trees which just looks cool.
[attachment=7224:101_0071.JPG]

WisTech is not BS'n about climbing Choke Cherry. We could only make it about 2/3 of the way but he just powered over the top. That thang has some balls!

John is being very kind about the Jeep problems, cost us a full day of riding time which really sucked mad.gif. Going 38 mph up the climb to Cheyenne with semis flying by wasn't exactly cool either ohmy.gif . It was also John that actually found the problem with the fuel lines while I had the carb off and apart on the trailer.

A few specs on the Chief. 1979 Jeep Cherokee S. SuperChief was supposedly a package put on by the dealer in California. Average MPG for the trip was 9.1. Not great but expected before we left. Worst tank was 7.6, that was going through Yellowstone and the 8000+ foot passes. Currently has a 360 2bbl but definitely not enough power for mountain towing. Plan on putting in a 401 before next trip. cool.gif Drove it foot to the floor for a lot of the time.

Three guys worked out really well for the trip. Back seat is big enough for one guy to lay down and sleep. Wouldn't have been able to do that with 4. Total cost for gas and hotels was $675 each (Wistech you owe me some cash). Round trip was 3536 miles.

Brad, thanks for the hospitality, enjoyed our stay. biggrin.gif

Hello to KDeal and Timbo!

Had so much fun, I just want to go back and do it all again!
[attachment=7226:101_0079.JPG][attachment=7225:101_0081.JPG] [attachment=7227:101B0022.JPG]

wistech

#37 Post by wistech »

And we have not even gotten into the fun at yellowstone. Bu Bu Buffalo .......run for your lives....LOL

NRath

#38 Post by NRath »

So, how the heck do the dunes just end like that?!! That's wild.

I think the coolest part is that it looks like you guys had everywhere almost all to yourselves!

OverKill

#39 Post by OverKill »

Yeah, only a few people in all of Little Sahara and maybe 20 riders at St. Anthony's. It was all really tracked up from the weekend though. Had to go out to the edges to find smooth sand. cool.gif

67z400

#40 Post by 67z400 »

Great pics. Looks like fun! I've been to L.S. and Saint Anthony's. St. Anthony's is by far the best ridding I have ever done. I'm saving up to track up there again. Hopefully next year I will be able to go.

24hr drive from St. Louis, but well worth it.