Cheezehead dune ride 2008

wistech

#41 Post by wistech »

wistech

#42 Post by wistech »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKOBU4tzXV8

I figured its about time I learn to post some vids since the next dune ride is almost upon us. Maybe this year there will be some competition .LOL tongue.gif

Montez440

#43 Post by Montez440 »

Wistech, let me know when and where the next Dune ride is...
I would like to try to make it...
Thanks!

NRath

#44 Post by NRath »

I finally got to watch the vids- TOO Cool! No Internet Nazi's blocking me at home! I know the vids don't do the slope any justice. Those are some big, steep hills!!

What's the big black thing hanging/standing at the bottom of the Fingers? You're quad sounds like it's loaded with power in that vid- doesn't seem to be bogging at all! That Honda sounded like it was just choked down and couldn't breathe.

In the vid with the Z, what was the other quad to the left- it was pulling pretty good up Dyno hill.

wistech

#45 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (NRath @ Aug 11 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I finally got to watch the vids- TOO Cool! No Internet Nazi's blocking me at home! I know the vids don't do the slope any justice. Those are some big, steep hills!!

What's the big black thing hanging/standing at the bottom of the Fingers? You're quad sounds like it's loaded with power in that vid- doesn't seem to be bogging at all! That Honda sounded like it was just choked down and couldn't breathe.

In the vid with the Z, what was the other quad to the left- it was pulling pretty good up Dyno hill.

The black thing was a solitary tree .
The quad that was doing the filming was a 450r . The video with the white z400 had me giving chase and passing him on the left with the 450r trying to keep up.
The 450r was supposedly all done up but I dont think the owner really knows what that means.
The moto's 460 could take any dune pretty much effortlessly even with the quiet core . At first I was aprehensive that the stock stroke engines didnt have what it takes for dunes but it seems to be all about midrange and top end power that get the thrust required and the 460's have that in spades.

wistech

#46 Post by wistech »

I was looking at the vid closer and the day we were there the sand was fresh and smooth. All the tracks in the vid going up the fingers to the left of the main chute were all made by the moto. If you watch as the 450r is going up you can see where the rest of the quads in our group and some of the ltr's that showed up had to turn or get stuck. I am very proud of how the moto performed and I could only hope evey ride in the future the Cannondales perform as well.

67z400

#47 Post by 67z400 »

Dune riding is the best. I really enjoy it since I am from St. Louis, MO. The last dunes I rode was St. Anthonys in Idaho. I am itching to do it again.

wistech

#48 Post by wistech »

I've found 3 days is about the limit for riding sand before it becomes boring. Then we take the rest of the time and tour the country on the way back home.

Sandstorm

#49 Post by Sandstorm »

The hill on your first video is called Mount Mutha. Do I have to explain? lol smile.gif

Next time get some 21" 8 paddle Gliders on .125 wheels. My Raptor throws down about 68hp on KBR's dyno and that's the best set up we have found. Want to go faster get some little tiny smoothie front tires.

wistech

#50 Post by wistech »

I think we ran the ridge south of mount mutha to the absolute top of the face of sand mountain. The rocks up there is where I think started the peeling process of the paddles. Those tires I wouldnt trade for anything. Minimal roost with maximum thrust. I had new paddles bonded back on them . Skat trak said they hadnt made those tires for like 10 to 15 years . Ive got a set of singles rib fronts but didnt like the way they cut . To twitchy. Bald front 300ex tires are my favorites for the sand. We are spending more and more time exploring the low dunes so at least one set of knobbies comes with.