Cheezehead dune ride 2008

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

After holding off till we could all make it the trip has at last began. We went old school and took the bad arse Jeep Super Chief . Jared burned the midnight oil to install a whole new interior and new tires for the old dog. We left Friday night and things went well for about 300 miles. The Jeep started losing power and 60 was all it would do. After several diagnostic sesions and a couple trips to the parts stores along the way we discovered a couple of loose hose clamps on the fuel line where someone had a splice. We were getting nervous when we couldn't find the problem and things were looking bleak there for a while. LOL

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

jeep

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

This afternoon we made it out to the Killpecker Dunes just north of Rock Springs Wyoming. The road getting to the dunes is 20 miles of middle of nowhere dirt backroad. Yikes. The dunes are actually pretty sweet. Kind of like the middle dunes at St Anthonies. There were a couple of really steep ones and many you could realy ride high speed along fairly safe. Definatly worth the pain to get to but I don't think we will have time to hit them tommorow.
I selected the Moto since it already had the paddle tires on it and boy did it perform today. Absolutly blasted up any dune with ease like a big stroker. I was pushing it pretty hard and could smell a little Evans after a few hours. I did remember the last fuel station only had 88 octane and that I'm sure is not good for 13 to 1 compresion. sad.gif Still runs good and we will see how it holds up at Little Sahara. If it feels like letting go I won't be too bummed. That motor has been through heck and just what it did today made it worth it. It really stokes you up to wheelie up a huge dune that nobody else can. Good Moto good boy.....

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

You may not recognize the moto . While its been in PA the last few years it was dressed in stock moto plastic but I broke out the patriot kit for the mud free ride. The beadlocks just happen to match the plastic and was not intended.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

We shall see what the rest of the week has in store for us. It's Salt Lake City, Little Sahara and if time allows up the St Anthonies.

Another good note was we won a $50 gas card at a Shell station scratch and win game.

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Be careful in Salt Lake City......the Mormons may get you!!! laugh.gif

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool!

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

We took a day off to hang out in Salt lake. The copper mine was first on the list. Things have changed since we were there a few years ago. They moved the tourist center to the edge of the pit. It was our lucky day and a shovel was loading right below us .

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Then it was off to spend an evening with some of the shady characters in the city . Brad Oakley was kind enough to put us up for the evening and gave us a tour of the growing facility. Thanks Brad .It was cool to see you again on this side of the country and we appreciate you and your wife for the hospitality.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

We arrived at Little Sahara today to be virtually the only ones there. I saw 2 z400's all day. Heres Chucky showing just how awsome Prowedge tires perform in sand.