Hurricane Dunes, Utah

Canniboomer

#1 Post by Canniboomer »

These pictures are from last New Years Day.
They had just re-opened Sand Hollow State Park, with plenty of good access and parking.
We could not resist taking a stock "Glamis" out to enjoy some pristine "orange" sand.

The area is just to the south of Interstate 15 along a bypass route near the town of Hurricane, in the southwest corner of Utah. The scenery will remind you of Roadrunner cartoons....it's just awesome!
It was about 60-degrees on Jan 1,...... with dry air, clean sand, and winding trails through interesting rock formations.

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Nice pictures Boomer!! Next time forego the pictures of you sitting still, get some hang time and wheelies going! Those machines look perfect as usual!

Looks like a great sleepy sand dune.... You guys ever tried Christmas Valley, OR?

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Lets go Boomer! See you there.

2000ex

#4 Post by 2000ex »

Dave, nice pics. Now where are the pics of all these MINT Glamis's we hear about. Lets see some of your machines!!

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

It would be great to meet up with more guys there.... maybe around this Jan 1-3 time period?

I should mention the area is like 15000 acres total, and we did not find a single warning sign or closed area in the dunes or surrounding desert.
So for riding, it was still the "wild west" as of last January. It was nice to be free to go off-sand and ride up to the edge of a cliff overhang, and pose for crazy pictures.
At the very far end of the sand dunes it looked like normal going up ahead, in virgin un-tracked sand -- but one could easily go too far and plummet into a canyon!
You can also find some steep hill climbs, and maybe just a few guys hanging out and waiting to race. There are plenty of interesting spots to stop and take a break. You can find shade trees, smooth rock, and sheer vertical faces rising up from the sand.
If passing by on I-15, I would at least recommend about a 3 or 4-hour diversion to take it in. After parking, it's at least a 6 mile ride into the bigger sand and cliffs, so you might want to pack a lunch. Once you get out there, you won't want to return until you run out of gas or daylight. For night riding?,...I don't know, but it could be quite hazardous if you are not familiar with the area first.

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_sand_hollow.htm

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes I wouldnt want to be there at night for sure.Check it out Dave
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...showtopic=22151

J. Delaney

#7 Post by J. Delaney »

Sure is a nice truck and trailer you got there Dave!

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

....No, not mine!.... a Special thanks goes out to J.Delaney for renting us that truck and toyhauler! wink.gif

Thanks again Jay!

67z400

#9 Post by 67z400 »

Pics look good! The only sand dune park I have been to is St. Anthonys. I'm itching to go west again and try a few other parks. Beginning next year I get two weeks vacation. I hope to get out a see a few more.