Spring Trip to H-M

NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

Well, I brought it up in a different post, and the universe has brought it to me. KFXBryan rang me a couple days ago that some of his buddies are headed to H-M and told me I was going. Since I didn't have a choice, there you have it. April 23-26 are the dates. They're making arrangements to stay in Matewan at the Historic Matewan House Bed and Breakfast (google it for details). You can ride to the trail from there. They have secured quad storage, a place to spray off the quads, and supposedly will wash your riding clothes each night! As I understand it, we'll be staying in the bunkhouse out behind the main house that has like some beds and a shower. Bryan and I are planning to ride Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Don't really expect to be at the same trail for each day. I've got to get some details on what the B&B provides for food. The website left me thinking they'll take care of more cooking than just breakfast.

I looked at the trip to St. Joe's, but given I'm not burned out on H-M at this point, it was impossible to justify over twice the distance. Obviously this isn't a "group ride", but anyone that can make it is welcome to come. Jess, looks like your schedule is filling up quick! If anyone wants to try to make it happen, I can check what there is for available space at the Matewan house with the group I'm tagging along with. I think there are 5 of us at this point. Or there are plenty of other places to stay in the area.

GML, I'm not at all trying to take anything away from the ride you're putting together, so don't take it that way. This just fell in my lap.

ljdbn

#2 Post by ljdbn »

I just finished a pipeline job in Matewan in Nov. and I stayed at that matewan B&B. My son's and I stayed there for 3 months, they sell the permits there and really cater to the ATV crowd. If I don't make it tell Pat & Sharon that Jim Hunt said hello. He might float you a discount as we had the whole house and bunkhouse full while we were there.

Jim

ozarkdaler

#3 Post by ozarkdaler »

QUOTE (ljdbn @ Feb 3 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just finished a pipeline job in Matewan in Nov. and I stayed at that matewan B&B. My son's and I stayed there for 3 months, they sell the permits there and really cater to the ATV crowd. If I don't make it tell Pat & Sharon that Jim Hunt said hello. He might float you a discount as we had the whole house and bunkhouse full while we were there.

Jim

Off subject but you don't happen to know Shannon Whiseman "half pint" do you? He was working up in that area a while back and he is a pipefitter.

gml1998

#4 Post by gml1998 »

QUOTE (NRath @ Feb 3 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I brought it up in a different post, and the universe has brought it to me. KFXBryan rang me a couple days ago that some of his buddies are headed to H-M and told me I was going. Since I didn't have a choice, there you have it. April 23-26 are the dates. They're making arrangements to stay in Matewan at the Historic Matewan House Bed and Breakfast (google it for details). You can ride to the trail from there. They have secured quad storage, a place to spray off the quads, and supposedly will wash your riding clothes each night! As I understand it, we'll be staying in the bunkhouse out behind the main house that has like some beds and a shower. Bryan and I are planning to ride Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Don't really expect to be at the same trail for each day. I've got to get some details on what the B&B provides for food. The website left me thinking they'll take care of more cooking than just breakfast.

I looked at the trip to St. Joe's, but given I'm not burned out on H-M at this point, it was impossible to justify over twice the distance. Obviously this isn't a "group ride", but anyone that can make it is welcome to come. Jess, looks like your schedule is filling up quick! If anyone wants to try to make it happen, I can check what there is for available space at the Matewan house with the group I'm tagging along with. I think there are 5 of us at this point. Or there are plenty of other places to stay in the area.
GML, I'm not at all trying to take anything away from the ride you're putting together, so don't take it that way. This just fell in my lap.

Hey ,no offense taken .You ride when you can and where you can.Besides the St. Joes ride isn't until June 20th.Maybe some can make both rides laugh.gif .I wish I could make it to H-M.
I hope you have a good turn out. Gary.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

Nrath, I will do the best I can. I can't promise anything since I'll probably have some big extravagant outlandish bachelor party sometime around then...and no I can't make the ride my bachelor party. I'll do what I can though.

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

Jess, No prob, just wanted to mention it. I'd prefer to go about a month earlier- avg temps are only 8-9???? cooler. But, it's not mine to set up.

ljdbn- I know you had to be riding the heck out of all those trails if you were there that long! I heard there are some local unmarked trails, too. Know anything about those? Is there a trail you'd say to definitely hit or definitely skip since I can't get them all? Last time I went, I think there were only 4 systems open and I've been on them all. Waterways was exactly that! Alot of open area and alot of water. may have had somehting to do with the rain though! I hope to see you while we're there. Wouldn't mind hooking up with you before then as a matter of fact.

ljdbn

#7 Post by ljdbn »

no, I don't know "half-pint" , but there were alot of people on that job. There were actually two different pipeline companies there @ the same time. S&T (which I worked for ) and Arvilla ( which my three sons worked for).

I never got a chance to ride H-M while I was there but was on alot of terrain while @ work. I don't know about the trails, but the ground is very steep. My son's and I love hilly/technical trails, so it should really be great. The maps @ Matewan House show it as varied and the biggest part of that section is Green(easy).

there is also another place called Delbarton Inn, in Delbarton. some of the guys I worked with went over there and said it was nice. FYI Matewan House has no phones in the rooms and very limited cell service without a booster. That bunkhouse that you mentioned has a TV, but the rooms don't. They have a big projector screen Tv in the main house and a pretty good selection of movies though. I will stay in the main house if I come, it is really nice.

NRath

#8 Post by NRath »

I can only assume you've ridden all the systems, right?

I've ridden the trip to Matewan and back to the trailhead at the other end. It's a great ride. But, they all are! I haven't ridden the one at the southeast corner of WV, and I think it's a little far to drive to and back to Matewan for one day. The others are all a bit closer, though.

ljdbn

#9 Post by ljdbn »

@ NRath, I don't recommend getting off the marked trails there, as the locals are very unpredictible. May have been because I was working pipeline and the gas Co. " put it to " alot of them, but I was up alot of those "hollows" an

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Neil, you have to hit Rockhouse and Bearwallow for sure. Bearwallow is better because in whole, its a little tighter. Rockhouse has some fire roads but i think you said you have ridden that one before.