Spring Trip to H-M

NRath

#11 Post by NRath »

I've been to both Rockhouse and Bearwallow. I remember some really awesome high speed rolling sections along a mountain at Rockhouse, just too much fun! I don't ahve any specific memories about Bearwallow. All my previous trips would always be a different trail each day. By the time I got home, I could remember sections, but not which trail they were on! Guess we'll see as the time draws near.

ljdbn, I'll give you a call in a few days.

ljdbn

#12 Post by ljdbn »

@ NRath.... Probably not gonna be able to go riding for a while, stuck up here in Morgantown for a while @ Ruby Memorial. My oldest son fell about 40 feet off a incorrectly installed ( non-anchored) scaffolding and hit head first on cement.....Massive he

gml1998

#13 Post by gml1998 »

QUOTE (ljdbn @ Feb 14 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ NRath.... Probably not gonna be able to go riding for a while, stuck up here in Morgantown for a while @ Ruby Memorial. My oldest son fell about 40 feet off a incorrectly installed ( non-anchored) scaffolding and hit head first on cement.....Massive head injuries, just got out of Surgical ICU.... He is finally conscious, and it's looking pretty good so wish us luck and call my cell if you still want to try and hook-up, I really could use a day away if we can work it out. "prolly" still make H-M though..later

Jim 304-703-3344 cell

Thoughts and prayers for your son.

speedracer

#14 Post by speedracer »

I work off scaffolds and lifts all the time.Seems some people just throw them up without regard,best wishes.

ljdbn

#15 Post by ljdbn »

thanks guys, that means alot....look forward to riding w/ you guys..

Jim

NRath

#16 Post by NRath »

Holy cow, I missed a little here. I was checking back to see if TG??? had posted and find out theres been some trauma. ljdbn- I'm sure sorry to hear about your son. I hope the recovery is going well. Being a Dad really changes the perspective on children, no doubt. With 2 of my own, I know I'd be torn up in your shoes. I'm pulling for your son, your family, and you.
I've got a cousin that fell almost that far right on his head, also. He made a full recovery. I hope you have the same story to tell.

NRath

#17 Post by NRath »

On a lighter note- the date is drawing near- 3 weeks to go. Anybody else able to make it for a day or two?

kdeal

#18 Post by kdeal »

Neil,

I can't make it (no great loss I am sure *LOL*), but I will be heading up north in May around the 23-24th weekend. I will probably be in Speed2424's area and possibly Majestic Trails for a day. I think a few guys want to dyno at Steel City a few days before the weekend. I am not sure if Kevin is going to have an Official Group Ride, but there should be a few of us up there. I will probably go up the Wednesday before and start back Sunday or Monday.

I hope you guys have fun and be careful.

Ken

TG2891

#19 Post by TG2891 »

A no-go here. I will be entering a District 7 race in Evensville, PA on the 26th and planning on going up the day before.

Not trying to steal participants from the H-M trip, but it sure would be nice to see another dale at the race in PA.

TOM G.

NRath

#20 Post by NRath »

Well, the weekend has come and gone and it was an awesome trip! No injuries and nothing broken! We beat the heck out of the quads for 3 days and were barely able to move each night. The place we stayed was great- they wash your riding clothes every night! They're folded and ready for you when you come for breakfast the next morning. Sweet deal. The first day it was a little wet and there were 4 of us riding. The second and third day, there was only two of us, KFXBryan (KFX450) and myself. The trails were drying and the dust was growing.

The 'dale was totally awesome! The suspension on it is so sweet, it just soaks it all up and is ready for more. It was so d@m fun flying around the mountains I could never describe it. From the tight trails to the open dirt roads, it was a blast! The torque that stock motor puts out is great for lifting the front over holes and water and that top end will stroke across the tops of the really bumpy sections. I guess the scenery of the WV mountains is really great, but all i remember seeing is the dirt and rocks in front of me and the trees and cliffs whizzing by me. That's all the scenery I wanted to see. I think I may have put a hurting on a Chipmunk that ran out on the trail in front of me then couldn't decide which way to go.

The trip wasn't completely uneventful mechanically. I had recharged the nitrogen in the front and rear PEP's a few days before leaving to make sure it hadn't leaked down since the last ride at Majestic about 6 mos ago. The suspension felt right. When we arrived Wednesday night and unloaded, the rear end felt like a pogo stick- absolutely no compression or rebound dampening. The next morning I wasted time calling around to see if I could get hooked up with some nitrogen- not likely. I had to make a choice- fill it with unregulated CO2 or ride the stock KFX400 I'd brought as a back up. I chose the CO2. I gave it a little, then a little more and the rear end came to life. No telling what kind of pressure I had in it, but it felt good and held up all weekend long.
The only other thing with the dale that kind of puzzles me is that after a couple hours of riding, the idle would drop. I'd crank it up a little, then we'd stop for lunch or something. When I restarted, it was high, so I turned it back down. A little while later, it was low again. So, I was chasing that around a bit. I'm thinking it's probably an issue with the IACV or TPS. Any thoughts? Seems like I've had this before during a race, but it's been awhile.

Then, KFXBryan set a landspeed record on the way back home. I think he shaved about an hour off of our 7.5 hour trip over there. He had managed a pretty healthy average speed. The Tundra was stroking- for sure!