CannondaleRiders hit Hatfield-McCoy

NRath

#41 Post by NRath »

I called about Chief Logan State Park.

-No reservations till Feb.15, then i-net only until March 1st for call-ins
-They'll only reserve 50% of the sites, the rest are first come, first serve
-All sites have power and water for $27/night
-They do allow primitive camping around the area for $13.50 per night, no dedicated sites for that
-There is a bath house

As much as I like the amenities at the Matewan House, I like saving a few dollars even more!

Still open to any other suggestions if anyone can recommend a private site, maybe riding distance from one of the trail systems...

pcleiter

#42 Post by pcleiter »

I've only been there once, but we stayed at Hawks River Front Cabin which is about 300 feet from a trailhead on the Rockhouse trail system in Gilbert. Rates were decent, the owners were very cool with us. The town of Gilbert is about 3 miles away and you can ride there on your bike.

Here is a link to their site on HM's site: Hawks RFC

NRath

#43 Post by NRath »

As the tide's change, so do the plans...

Okay, it's really not that often, but looks like problems for Apr 22-24 weekend. It's out. I think we all still want to make it sometime, so we'll have to regroup with a new date. I think right around that time is a good time of year. Maybe the following weekend. If any of you want to come and have any "bad days", put 'em up or shoot a pm.

My apologies for any that have made reservations. I expect (hope) this should be plenty of notice to cancel.

PCleiter, I'm off scouting again, so I'll check out Hawk's. Thanks for the head's up.

origdragon slayer

#44 Post by origdragon slayer »

Well just keep posting here so we can keep everything straight with scheduling... I am pretty much good for whenever just have to schedule it with work.

jesshamner

#45 Post by jesshamner »

The weekend after Easter looks good for both of us.

jesshamner

#46 Post by jesshamner »

I just wanted to bump this up to the top. We are still planning for the weekend after Easter, correct?

jesshamner

#47 Post by jesshamner »

The plan now is for the weekend after Easter which I think is April 29-May 1. I will probably leave Thursday night after work. I will only be able to get off for one day for this trip. Chief Logan State Park is where we decided to stay. Let's hope it warms up a little and stays dry. I'm not lookng forward to another group ride that is cold and rainy. I spoke to someone at the park regarding reservations and he said that they don't take reservations until Memorial Day. He also said that there probably won't be many people camping during that time so we should be good there. But he told me to call when the date is nearer and he would fill me in on traffic.

So...

Where: H-M Trails / Chief Logan State Park

When: April 29 - May 1

Cost: $27 per night per campsite

The rules state that only one MAIN TENT or UNIT per campsite. A family group (at the discretion of the superintedent) may have 1 or 2 smaller tents. I thought everyone was family in WV? J/K. I guess Neil and Bryan are cousins for the weekend.

So that makes it pretty easy. If you want to ride, show up and pay for the campsite! We will get riding passes at a store near the Bear Wallow trailhead.

Zeb and I will definitely be there and possibly one other rider.

NRath

#48 Post by NRath »

Looks good. Any idea which sites would be preferred? Their camping app says they'll take reservations now. I'd be willing to send it in and see what happens.

jesshamner

#49 Post by jesshamner »

Yeah, I don't know what's up with the reservation process. The bottom of the application has the date 1/20/2011 on it so I know its up to date. But the guy would not let me make reservation and told me that he was almost sure that there wouldn't be a problem getting a camping site.

The sites we had last time were 7 and 8. 8 is a pull through and open. It is best suited for an RV. 7 is a nice little hideaway and I bet 6 is too but its on the other side of the creek. Something near the shower house would be nice. I forgot to ask if the hot water would be turned on by then. Now that I think about it, I think Indiana DNR doesn't turn it on until Memorial Day.

jesshamner

#50 Post by jesshamner »

Bump for anyone interested.