Silver Lake sand dunes May 17-20

Speedy2222

#1 Post by Speedy2222 »

Every year we got to silver lake on the same week. My buddies continued this tradition when i couldn't, but my last time there was also during a c-dale group ride. Well now i have my own dale and was hoping some others would want to come out and join us for the weekend. If there's serious interest we can see about group rates at a local campground, or maybe get in the same part of the state park, or hotel even.

Date: May 17-20

incase you've never been....

Speedy2222

#2 Post by Speedy2222 »

1 more week!!! we'll be staying in state park campground if anybody else is. We have a group of about 20+ guys right now that are going to be there.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

I really want to go to this place. I hear that people park near the water and hang out on the beach. Is that true? This could be a huge selling point with the wife. Any pics of that?

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

from what I remember you do need a dune capable vehicle to park near the water (Lake Michigan) and the beach is off limits to motorized vehicles

By dune capable I mean it needs ORV sticker, flag and able to cross the sand. no dunes to climb to get to beach but access road can be whooped out and is a slight climb before heading down to the beach. no marked route to the beach either. last time there was with sons pick-up which had a little trouble when leaving the access road onto the dunes, but we didn't let any air out of the tires as we had done before.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ May 8 2012, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
from what I remember you do need a dune capable vehicle to park near the water (Lake Michigan) and the beach is off limits to motorized vehicles

By dune capable I mean it needs ORV sticker, flag and able to cross the sand. no dunes to climb to get to beach but access road can be whooped out and is a slight climb before heading down to the beach. no marked route to the beach either. last time there was with sons pick-up which had a little trouble when leaving the access road onto the dunes, but we didn't let any air out of the tires as we had done before.

So having side by side is the best bet and that will only get us close. How close could we get to the water? And is it a sandy beach like im thinking or do i have it all wrong?

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Beach is san and its been a while but I think the water is within a couple hundred feet of the ORV limits.

four wheel drive vehicles make it to the beach. we run about 65psi in our tires and a full size pick-up with tires aired up like that get to hopping real easy. just takes a little finess when not set-up right. we just like to avoid the air-up time when ready to leave

Speedy2222

#7 Post by Speedy2222 »

few things, first off.. AIR DOWN not up. Floatation is key. 10-15lbs, i've seen many people stuck on even entrance hill just not airing down.

It's a sandy beach, there's also 1500+ acres of walking dunes ajacent to the ORV area for your family also. You can drive REALLY close to the lake and park right up at it. There's plenty of beach as well as many other things to do in the area if the family is looking for more than just sand.

you get right up to the water( this is a pic from just off of the beach)

Here's a better perspective.

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Speedy2222 @ May 8 2012, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
few things, first off.. AIR DOWN not up. Floatation is key. 10-15lbs, i've seen many people stuck on even entrance hill just not airing down.

I know you should drop air pressure. we just don't like taking the time to air up before hitting the highway home. last time we went the sand was a bit dry and I thought we would have to air down but like I said with a little finess we made it in and out. but we mainly drive the truck in to carry tools, grill and food and just park the truck by the beach and I don't think I ever walked down to the water. plus we haul the moto in because it is a bit loud.

I been there after a good nights rain but, I don't think I have ever seen that much water in the riding area. I have heard it get that wet in that area though.

Speedy2222

#9 Post by Speedy2222 »

Well the dunes are calling my name! Got pretty much everything packed and loaded up, just got a few more things to do and we will be headed up really early in the morning. I know of atleast 2 others that will be there from this site and if anyone else is planning on it you won't be able to miss my silver blaze with red front hipers in the parking lot.

Speedy2222

#10 Post by Speedy2222 »

Over all was a great weekend, dale is broken, warrior is broken, and i bought a banshee at the dunes! oh and it was broken too! I'll slowly be uploading content from the trip due to long upload times and ALOT of footage to go through.. The big highlight for me was this on saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPz4hxMbtAw