Went riding this morning.

wanablaze

#1 Post by wanablaze »

Went riding for a few hours this morning. The farmers have begun taking down the corn, so most of the fields are wide open. Two of my riding buddies came over and we rode the snowmobile trail from my house. It was a little cold this morning, especially pinned in fifth gear in a wide open field. There were a few tightspots (bridges), but for the most part we each picked a different line. I had a hard time keeping the front end down. Fifth gear pinned in a bean field if I lean back the front end will come up and I can ride a wheelie most of the way across the field. I had to wait up a bit for my buddies. Or I should say the Jap bikes. I'm sure they would have kept right behind me if they had the power. Eventually I just told them to go ahead of me. I'd let them get a good headstart then I'd catch back up. I definitely had an advantage once I hit fifth gear. I swore I was in fourth one time when they were behind me. I grabbed for fifth only to find out I'd just wound it out. They were waaaayyyyyyyy back. This new stroker pulls fifth no problem. Once they were tapped out I still had a few mph on them. I'm going to try to get a smaller rear sprocket. I'm running 15-38 now with the stock fifth and 18's. First gear is useless. I usually launch in third. I'm trying to get a 35 tooth Talon rear sprocket.

I had a great time toying around this morning and thought I'd share my experience. I'm very happy with this Timbo motor and the torque that gets her moving is unreal. Thanx Tim!

I'll try to get pictures next weekend. I'm hoping to line up with this YFZ, a Suzuki quadracer 450, and two Honda 450r's.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

That sounds like a blast!Especially when you can play with them like that.

jwheat

#3 Post by jwheat »

Sidewinder will make you a 34 tooth rear sprocket. I have stainless one on the back of a Honda that has a 350X motor on it and the motor is stroked and bored to a 496 with dual exhaust and an Edlebrock carb. That thing will wheelie in 5th and outright fly in 6th. It runs a 15-34 on the sprockets.

wanablaze

#4 Post by wanablaze »

I have a Sidewinder "Ti-moly" one here that's supposed to be their premium titanium sprocket. I ran it for a while when my stocker was shot. I spent several hundred and got the front sprocket and chain too. I was somewhat disappointed, they are all very heavy and the chain was a PITA to clean before I installed it. The stock rear sprocket must be aluminum, it is way lighter than the claimed Titanium sidewinder. The Sidewinder chain wore out right away, too. The sprockets still look great, but the chain I wasn't happy with and couldn't just go to the hardware store for a masterlink. You have to buy a "Sidewinder" masterlink. Too bad, they are a local company.

The local Yamaha dealer is trying to get in touch with J. Titman racing (Australia) to see if they can get a 35 tooth Talon sprocket for me. I'm determined to get another Talon rear sprocket, even if it is more of a disposable piece than the sidewinder. At least I can get a chain anywhere. Thank you for the suggestion, jwheat. Any help is appreciated.

jwheat

#5 Post by jwheat »

Sidewinder can cut you an aluminum rear sprocket and you don't have to run a Sidewinder chain..... although they do have a top-of-the-line chain that is very expensive but it will last for a while. I bought one to put on the quad I built with a Ninja 500 motor because I kept breaking chains.

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

You know you can run any chain on a sidewinder sprocket right?

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Derno24 @ Nov 6 2006, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know you can run any chain on a sidewinder sprocket right?

Derno is right. The chain is what is the PITA not the sprockets. Any 520 chain will fit the sprockets, the chain itself has thicker side plates not allowing any other master link to work.

wanablaze

#8 Post by wanablaze »

I was unaware of that. Can I donate a set of slightly used set of Sidewinder Ti sprockets to the 12 hour bike?

jwheat

#9 Post by jwheat »

QUOTE (jwheat @ Nov 5 2006, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sidewinder can cut you an aluminum rear sprocket and you don't have to run a Sidewinder chain.....

I feel like the guy in the Fed-Ex commercial that is sitting in the board room meeting and the boss says the same thing he does but he moves is hand a different direction and everybody goes apeshit over the idea! wacko.gif

wanablaze

#10 Post by wanablaze »

Jwheat,
I have not seen that commercial. I thank you for the info you have shared with me. I do remember what you told me last night. However I did not know that when I originally made this thread.

What I should have said earlier was "I was unaware of that, until Jwheat told me last night." Thank you again.