Unbelievable!

jesshamner

#1 Post by jesshamner »

I was out riding on Monday with a couple guys. I was riding at about 40% pace most of the day but hammered it up a logging road to the top of the hill. When I reached the top and slowed, the quad suddenly came to a stop. I was reluctant to start it but I went for it anyway. The quad started and ran smooth. It was the rearend that had locked up solid. This was really getting to me since I just replaced the carrier bearings. It seems as though they had seized and burnt up the axle/carrier setup. I was in disbelief. Then I noticed my carrier looked like it had been machined around the edge. So I went in for a closer looked and noticed a bolt lodged in between the sprocket hub and the carrier. It took me several minutes to find out where it came from. The bolt from the subframe support brackets had fallen straight down on to the swingarm and had set itself perfectly in place for this to happen. All without bouncing. Take a look on your quad. It had to fall almost straight in there and be timed perfectly. I popped the clutch and dislodged the bolt and was able to finish out the day of riding. But it really screwed up my carrier. I think it will still work fin but it looks bad. I finished out the day without any other problems. At the very end it seemed like the motor was making a strange noise on decel but I think it was either my chain/buffer/skid plate, or maybe just paranoia. I checked the tranny oil filter and the engine oil filter and both were clean. The chain was a little tight and the skid plate is finally falling apart after 8 years of abuse.

I am really enjoying this thing now that I have it set up a little better for me. The shocks are riding great 27! And a big thanks to Canniboomer for supplying the small parts that i have needed and incredible customer service. The guy answers requests at 9:30 PM and I still can't figure out how the shipping from Washington to Indiana is so fast without any extra cost.

Just thought I would share. There aren't too many trail tails lately.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Jess,

Call me I have a spare bearing carrier for you.

Ken

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

Dude, that is just bad luck!! At least it was easy enough corrected on the trail. And, hopefully you got the bad luck out of the way!