saw this figured id post it

beanie$440$peed

#1 Post by beanie$440$peed »

r.porter

#2 Post by r.porter »

You can't expect them to admit they where wrong even a little bit can you ?

speedfreek

#3 Post by speedfreek »

It's funny how they never really touched on the fact that the 2010 YZ copied all the technology of the Cannondale . If the design was so bad why did they "borrow" the technology to begin with?

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I gave up hope on all bike and quad rags a long time ago and add car mags also. I never subscribed to MXA but have read (looked over) a few. I saw no difference from the other rags.

Just reading the title of the section makes me want to go out and buy it so I could burn it. How arrogant, "ASK THE MXEPERTs" Who wrote this article (answer).First, in my book, to be a "MX EXPERT" you would have to have been a championship contender at least as far back as the oldest bike you are dissing, and in this case that would be the 1997 Honda. Second, I would say, if you are an expert you would most likely have a position with one of the big teams that would certainly pay more than a moron with a pen could earn.

I am a firm believer that Cannondale needed a better PR division. giving a bike to a rag that probably makes most of its money from the big4 wasn't to smart. Maybe the bike wasn't ready for a rags eval but I will say this I could probably break any of the new bikes in short order if I wanted to, heck I know some that could do it without even trying.

In his own words he says it didn't make good four stroke power. From what I remember the industry was having a hard time getting people to switch to four strokes. Mostly because people were used to riding two strokes. So trying to give the customer what they wanted was a bad thing? And if AMA wouldn't have kept upping the allowed four stroke engine size to an unfair advantage, you would probably still see only two strokes on the podiums.

I'm not sure about the bikes. but how can you evaluate suspension by saying its to soft to be raced. there a way to many variables.just in stadium-cross to MX there are may different tracks that would require different set-ups, Also rider preference. and shouldn't' you know how to tune it If you are evaluating it, a simple phone call could have gotten part numbers for stiffing it up. not that they couldn't still say they didn't like it and think Cannondale should have had these parts in the factory stock bike.. same thought on the rear.

I had to really laugh on they're starting issues and "flame out". How much money was spent in NASCAR's top series to switch to EFI and after only two races they have had two top contenders loose many spots because it wouldn't refire like thge carb system. I would say if you wait until all the bugs are worked out you will not be on the cutting edge.

Oh. And don't let me forget the weight number. You would think a rag that was concerned about their subscribers would invest in a set of scales. I think Yamaha is claiming 245# and I'm not sure how accurate the bike weights are compared to the quads but if you add in a 15# lie factor (about half of their quad lie factor) they are right at the 260#

Sorry for the rant but, unless you need phone numbers/ web adresses for aftermarket parts or accesories those magazines are useless. they aren't even any good to put on the floor for your puppies to P!$$ on

promod

#5 Post by promod »

I hope i dont get booted from this forum for saying this, but i know all of you know how much passion i have for these bikes as much as the rest of you do, and i will do so until the end of me, my bikes or major parts supply!

But im writing this because i dont pay no attention to what the bike magazines say anyway, as i have rode weird and exotic euro bikes all my life that i always had to read the same negative stuff about and none was good! i read them though because of my love for motorcycles and to keep up to date with whats new in the world of them, gear and accessories!, but tests i take with a grain of salt, expecially if its not a brand like the big Asian-4 who get picked on just because there graphics are ugly!, but those companies right after there test was a four page advertising spread!, anyone remember any Cannondale Ads?

But really and come on!, what technology did Cannondale have and use that hasnt been tried, used or tested before in production or non-production prototypes since the creation of motorcycles!, the new Yamaha YZ450F (Along with many , many other off-road machines now!) is way more far advanced than the Cannondale was and it should be its 13 years later!, and there engine is nothing like the Cannondale engine, just some of the basic concepts from of it..but refined and perfected, But, if C'Dale lasted they also would have evolved into a better and more reliable engine and frame setup also!, How many patents does Cannondale have on there MC engine design? im not talking IPR's, thats not patents, But yes C'Dale holds several on the bicycle end!

Many other motorcycle companies (and yes, including Yamaha) way in the past has used reversed cylinders heads, cassette transmissions, seperate trans and engine oils, oil in frame, liquid cooling, fuel-injection, electric start, no-link rear single shock suspension, aluminum frames, front and rear disc brakes and the list goes on!

There is only one thing you can say that was original about the C'Dales...They were built right here in the good old U.S.A. and so was the production and pre-production WJ engines!, But even Cannondale started with there prototype which was just a conventional basic engine design by using a Folan/Husaberg hybrid shoved in there on chassis and layed out in design by "new world concepts" (Cycra!), But so did Horst Leitner founder of ADB-Avenger (American Dirt Bike) and then ATK (which stood for Anti-Tension Kutentraub, which was his AMP A-Trak anti-chain torque system) and his bikes was american made, had several innovations but still used someone elses engine...Rotax!, but it was labled as a American made motorcycle!, and there was a lot of Patented technology from others like Boyesen, Krizman just to make name a few that did change thing in the world of motorcycle engines!

But yes, I also agree when the C'Dale came out, the Yamaha YZ400 & Honda was the contender and the new hi-tech 4-strokes were different, harder to ride, stalled etc...and that was all in the beginning, not just C'Dales!, i still today from coming up and learning, racing almost most of my motorcycle riding life can still ride my Husky 2-stroke faster and easier and run circles around other 4-strokes or that i can ride my C'Dale or any other new generation 4-stroke!, now of course were not going to even compare any old XR or of the type 4-strokes to the new Gen!

But all of this is my Own personal opinion but also again IMO fact!, But again who cares what they or anyone says or said then or now about our beloved machines! wink.gif

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (promod @ Mar 10 2012, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But all of this is my Own personal opinion but also again IMO fact!, But again who cares what they or anyone says or said then or now about our beloved machines! wink.gif

Well the problem I have with them is they portray like they are there to help the consumer.

I feel the only reason they care about selling subscriptions is that the more they sell the more they can get for the full page ads. I would guess the income from the subscriptions don't even matter to them just the number of subscriptions. I quit renewing mine a while back and probably got almost a full subscriptions of "last issue" sent to me

I need to get me a shovel and dig the 35 years of dust off my old bike magazines. I may have just been one of those young and nieve kids back then but I remember reading the bad about all bikes and a lot of ways to correct them. one example comes to mind was the length of the swing-arms on the TM-250 and 400 and an easy fix was if you knew someone with the opposite of what you had, was to just switch them. Usefull info. I also remember reading a lot on how good the europeen (SP?) bikes handled.

I ask people (riders) if they got a chance to visit their favorite Magazine what would they expect to see. 30 some years ago I would have imagined a nice building with offices up front, a well equipped shop in the back and a small test track out back. Now I figure its a tiny little rented office with crap pilled up all over the place. and I figure a well equiped shop would be useless to them because they wouldn't know how to use the equipment. you know for under a grand they could buy a nice set of scales used to weigh race cars and at least give the readers one pice of usefull info. any info they give you on a jap bike, you can get off the sale brochure.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (promod @ Mar 10 2012, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the new Yamaha YZ450F (Along with many , many other off-road machines now!) is way more far advanced than the Cannondale was and it should be its 13 years later!

I'm not sure about the bikes but, havent seen that in the quads in my opinion. I haven't went over quads that closely in a few years but the last Yammie I looked at they still hadn't trained their robots to hit much more than 60% of the joints they are welding

exotic rider

#8 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (beanie$440$peed @ Mar 8 2012, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its kinda funny how they never said boo about the rmx 450,or the 1992 wr200r which i once owned and it was basically a dt200 without blinkers that yamaha gave the public to compete against the kdx200. It goes to show the favortisimthat exist in the industry,I do think that todays bikes are a notch above the c-dale but the bravery companies like c-dale, vertimati,atk,ect show when they dare to be different pays off for the industry as a whole,my 1997 atk is one of the best handling bikes i have owned to date.it is heavy and it is old world fourstroke but it runs solid, never breaks and is only a bike length away against new 450s and its only a 350! it does take longer for it to get to its sweet spot but I only do basic maint on it year to year,try that on a 450.I do realize the market has shifted and america loves the new fourstroke however the cost for the average rider is outrageous! and at the end of the day noone even reads mxa-its either dirt rider or dirt bike for me.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

The last mag I bought I believe was a dirt wheels where they did a shootout for the HIGHEST PERFORMING sport quad back in 2002 or 2003 . The cannibal and the predator hands down were the clear winners in the all out performance and suspension catagories . The z400 and the 400ex were slow and bottomed out on everything. Yet when they chose a winner the z400 was the clear choice because it was EASY to ride with its smooth gutless turd engine, pogo stick suspension and lower price. All the important factors in choosing a Highest performing quad. It was laughable. What annoyed me the most was they used a cannibal instead of a moto speed or blaze in the high performance shootout because it was cheaper.

I bet 10 years later they are still clueless.

bigfoot17

#10 Post by bigfoot17 »

The last bike that I owned was a 2001 Kawasaki KDX 220. What a great fun machine. Funny thing is I am 6'7" and weigh a tad over 300. But I can only go so fast in the woods.
I never let any mag tell me what to buy. I think through all the options and the reality of my own riding ability.
I could have a ball on a CR125.