Nice Day, Chance of Afternoon Storms

NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

Well, it's not a Cannondale and the trail was covered in asphalt, but I figure we're all up for a short story...

So yesterday started as the topic says, "Nice Day, Chance of Afternoon Storms"- like 75?? for a high. So, I rode the DRZ to work. My days are usually dry with a forecast like that. If I get wet, I've earned it and it's no big deal. I checked the radar before leaving work to head home as I could see the wind picking up. It looked like the rain was building to the southwest- my normal route home. So, I decided to take the northwest route, which is a little longer but oh well. So, as I hit the street leaving work, looking at the sky, my route looks like a good plan. It???s already sprinkling, no big deal since I have on waterproof riding pants and jacket. 5 minutes out, it starts raining, then gets harder and harder. Cars are turning on their hazards, roads are filling, and it's coming down in buckets??? It doesn???t really bother me much on the bike except some of it hurts when it slips into my helmet and hits the nose or cheeks. Then the fun starts!!

The hail! Probably pea sized mixed in with the rain. Then the hail starts getting bigger and there is more hail than rain! A minute or so of that and I have to get off the road! I???m on back roads, so my best bet is to find some trees. So, I hop a ditch and pull under the nearest thing I can find- trees. They are pines that are for some reason pretty much bare, but the branches help block some of the hail. It???s up to marble sized by now and coming down pretty heavy. Pic one is when I pulled over and it was piling up between my legs on the bike. After what seems like 3-4 minutes, it???s getting worse! The hail is getting bigger, up to 1???+ diameter- see pic2. I???m standing there getting pelted, not really bothering me as I have on my helmet and gear, but it???s just crazy! 70?? outside and this is happening! I took another shot looking at the ground and street- pic3. Visibility was down to about 20??? at some times, literally! So, after what seems like 7-8, maybe 10 minutes, it finally starts to ease up. The road and grass are white, and completely covered! It???s not quite 70?? anymore, but it???s not 30 either. My hands and feet are soaked, but it???s all good. It's at times like this that I Love the Casio G'Z One phone thats waterproof.

What an experience. Once there were a couple tire trails I took off, staying out of the piled up ice in the middle and sides of the road. As the ice was steaming off, I bet you couldn???t see much more than 10???. It was a totally cool experience! Would I drive into a hail storm knowingly? NO! But, it was totally awesome to experience such a powerful storm that close and personal!

haulinit

#2 Post by haulinit »

That's crazy.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow!I wonder if a tornado was nearby with hail like that?

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

That's crazy Neil! You are a beast for riding in conditions like that.