True friends are discovered every day.

TheJaspMan

#21 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by ******
Great news!! I hope they got my cotribution. hope for a full recovery:deal:

Yes, we saw it this morning and wasn't sure who it was from. Thank you very much. It's going to help a lot. His wife Cody was overwhelmed by everyones help.

This weekend we sat down and made a list of all thier bills and people simply starting taking them and paying them. My wife is already out this morning doing some banking for her along with other stuff.

I would like to mention that Gold's gym 'allowed them' to cancel their membership with a letter from the hospital. But because the accident was on the 3rd they would still have to pay for August because they didn't give 30 days notice... :mad:

Happyboy

#22 Post by Happyboy »

This is good news. He has been in our thoughts everyday since you posted the first information. I hope he gets back to 100%.

TheJaspMan

#23 Post by TheJaspMan »

Day ten.

I wish I could say it's good news today, but it's not. He is taking a couple steps back right now. It will probably go back and forth for a few weeks.

Last night he was able to pull out his IVs and tube/s. He is now back in full leather restraints and mittens. It's a very destrsssing site. It's for his own safety, but very difficult on him when he trys to wake up.

He is on very little medication right now. But is still showing some very serious mental issues. That is apparently typical of a serious head trauma. Let's just hope it's temporary.

TheJaspMan

#24 Post by TheJaspMan »

Well instead of putting the feeding and drainage tubes back in through his nose they just operated and put a direct line into his stomach. They are hoping it will help him remain calm with less irritation when he is waking up.

They have lowered his morphine level to nearly nothing. And are only trying to give Adavan every six hours instead of four. But at times he has to be given a little higher dose to calm him down.

His wife is upbeat and seems in good spirts, but it's very stressful.

When I see her tomorrow night we have to talk about some long term plans. The guys over at www.predatorowners.com have been really helpful in trying to provide info on getting his quad fixed. A couple of members donated several items that we need to replace. And it looks like all the parts on are on the way.

Santo DeRisi should be getting his shocks soon to repair them. And Daryl Rath should also be getting the arms by next week. Chris Earlywine visited him at the hospital on Sat and said he would help me get it running. I think the carb is screwed, but a donated one is available.

BTW, Thank you cannondale27.

Psychosis

#25 Post by Psychosis »

Wow. This just goes to show how a type of people can come together to help a fallen member. It makes me glad to be a part of such a community and I hope that the hospitality continues. I've been reading this post w/anticipation to his recovery and have to say thanks to you jasp, your friends and family, and all the quad riders helping out w/the matter. :clap:

TheJaspMan

#26 Post by TheJaspMan »

I want to thank everyone again for all the encouraging words. And for taking the time to read our posts.

If you get a moment please sign our guestbook and wish Phil some good health! We print them out and read the entries to him.

http://www.infernomxracing.com

TheJaspMan

#27 Post by TheJaspMan »

Day 12

Last night Phil had his eyes open all evening. He was having a slight problem focusing (or so it seemed). His left eye is not staying in sync with his right. But did appear to fall back into place after excersing them.

He was receptive to who was in the room at times. And then other times would nod 'no' when asked if he knew who a close freind was. These are not the stronget nods. But it's something.

He has lost a lot of weight. I would guess at least 15-20 pounds already. His color is ok. But he is looking weak.

We asked if he wanted to know anything and he tried to talk to us but couldn't get his body to cooperate. I asked if he wanted to try and write it down. He didn't respond, but I placed a pen in his his hand. Instinctivly it held it properly. It was loose, but had good form. He tried to write on a pad of paper, and possibly even thought he wrote something. But it was nothing more than a scribble. Then seemed to forget what he was was doing.

My wife got him an excersize ball to squeeze. LurkerBlaze ran a pen along his nerves, feet and hands to see response. He has a few spots that respond semi-quickly. But reaction is still weak if at all on his left side. It's concerning.

My wife made a nice collage of items and pictures to hang on his wall. It's large and has a lot of funny memories and a few touching shots. He was trying to focus in on something so I gave him a picture. He immeditaly started to tremble and I thought he may have teared up. Then relaxed and went into a zone. It was a tough, tough moment.

When we were leaving I explained that I would see him all weekend. he squeezed my hand and stared at us. It's like he knows, but is not sure if it's all real. And it doesn't help when he is telling his body and mind to do something and it's not.

TheJaspMan

#28 Post by TheJaspMan »

Day 13.

Well, I'm not sure where to begin. Phil is now begining his 3rd day with no meds. His IVs have been removed and a device has been placed in his trach so he can talk. All that's currently holding him to the bed is a feeding tube in his stomach.

He was awake all evening Wed. Through a lot of the night. Then all day yesterday. He is responding to questions and asking his own.

He has no memory of the last 20+ years. He is a 14 year old in a 35 year olds body. He knows none of us, including his wife of 15 years. He remembers things up through his early teens. Details even. But nothing after a certain point. I am not sure how much more I need to say or explain about that. You can imagine the devistation his wife is going through.

We know this could be very temporary. And we pray it is. But the previous few days are showing signs that this is where he will be for a very long time. We are taking lot's of items that may spark memories or help him relive moments over the past few years. This is the time when it's going to be the hardest on everyone. We sincerly hope that his wife is one of his first memories. She needs that hope right now to keep her going. She is emotionally and physically drained. And yesterday was a very devistating blow. She has waited all this time for him to wake up and say 'I missed you, and love you.'. But the person who woke up is someone new. Her words ment nothing to the receiver. And only anger was returned.

At 34 I never thought I would see something like this. Most people spend a lifetime saying 'it will never happen to me!'. But I have discovered that's just not true.

Please; pray, hope or wish for Cody. She needs it right now.

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

I am in awe right now words cant express how much I admire his friends and family.Everyone should hope and pray that they have lived thier lives well enough to deserve such great people.He will come around look at the progress already.

TheJaspMan

#30 Post by TheJaspMan »

Day 16.

What a wierd weekend. The wife and I left on Friday about 2:30 to go to the hospital. We got there around 5.He was not even close to himself. I have never seen anything like it before. He was a totally diffrent person. He spoke diffrent. Acted odd and his only goal was to cut loose the restraints and escape from the hospital.

He kept calling me 'commander' and yeally at a yellow smiley face ballon. He was never a big drinker, but everything he wanted had alchohal in it. He thought every bottle of fluid was Gin or Vodka and every can was beer. I would move anything that resemmbled a bottle or can from his line of site. And I had people stop drinking or eating in front of him. Ice chips was all he could have because of the trach tube and his state of mind.

Around 8pm I had my wife and couple other friends get his wife to out to eat. She had been in the room for days and needed a small break. I had worn my riding jersey that he always saw me in. I thought maybe it wold help him remember. He thought it was a hockey shirt. About 8:30 we started talking to the ballon again. It was a doctor this time. After 30 mins of that he stopped and paused. Looked away and said (in a diffrent tone) "so how bad was my wreck?". I looked aver and asked him if he really wanted to know. He said 'yes' and I went into quick but direct details. Grab a handful of pictures of his quad, helmet and the track. It was him. 100% him. He teared up and asked a few more questions. I told him the date and how long he has been there. The girls came back and it took about a 1/2 second for Phil to see his wife and say 'hey cody!'. I'm tearing up just rememebring it.

He stayed that way for a couple of hours and then slipped away into his psuedo self. It was a long evening and night after that. But very encouraging.

Sat he was strange again and very mean at times. He was pissed and hated me for a while. Thankfully that passed. Around 2pm my wife and I were talking to him and asked if he could remember some race we had went to a few months ago that was really muddy. We were acting like we couldn't remember. He said "Sparta?" and then he was into his mind again. He stayed that way till his mom came in the room and then turned 14 again. After she left it only took a few minutes to bring him back to reality. He stayed that way till he got exhausted around 10PM. During the day at least eight freinds showed up. He laughed, joked and it all got emotional at times. Then as he faded away they also left so he could rest.

We had to ask for some Haldol & Adavan that night to make him relax. While he was awake I spoke with him about the restraints and he understood and agreed. I told him to just tell me in the morning it was him and I would take them off immeditaly.

Sun morning he was pissed he was restrained and telling me 'F off!' and cut him loose. It took about and hour to calm him down. And around 10:30 he found himself again. He was good. We played a game of chess. Took a ride outside in a wheelchair. Played cards and relaxed. His mom showed up at 2pm and undid two days worth of recovery. It gets really frustrating.

He was being his psuedo self and trying to punk us out at one point. I had to be a little extra asertive to get him to listen. He looked over at his mom with a smirk and she rolled her eyes at me! Can you believe it? She egged him on! What a physco freak mother. That was the 2nd time she had done that in an hour. Her only agenda is trying to make up for the last 10 years that she has been out of his life. Family crap is harder to deal with than instanity!!!!

In any event, it was a long weekend. We are all exhuasted. But I think some good ground work has been set. And we also know that somewhere he is still there. Hopfully when the swelling and brusising is all gone he will make a full recovery. But it's gonna be a long road. He is being transferred to Edgewood today or towmorrow. That is within four miles of their home and it custs over 1.5 hours each way off the daily trip.

I have gotten a few direct emails. I'll get back with each one today. I amd just a little backed up at the moment.

Thank you for taking the time to read and offer support to Phil and his family.