True friends are discovered every day.

NRath

That's definitely encouraging news!

#31 Post by NRath »

I'm so glad for his wife that she got to see the person she knows! That's crazy how he's shifting like that. What do the doctor's say? Is this sometimes the way it happens? Also, is he physically okay, now? Hasn't been any mention of the physical side, lately.

This whole situation has affected me greatly. It breaks my heart every time I think about it, which has been often. As much as I enjoy racing, it's not worth what could happen. I skipped a race this weekend, my heart just wasn't in it. I'll probably go to another one some day, but it wasn't this weekend. This kind of thing can happen with near anything we do. But, a person can't say you aren't putting yourself at much greater risk each time you get on the quad. I Love my family and don't want to lose them or, more importantly, for them to lose me. We'll definitely continue to ride our ATV's, but this situation definitely makes me pause to think about "how" I want to ride. ATV's are the most fun I've ever had, and I'm not giving them up. I'll just ride with a little more caution than I have in the past. I'm smart enough to know better than to tell my wife this story. Even though I want to share my happiness at his "waking up" with her. I'm happy for the people who's lives he affects. We each take and accept the risk when we hit the start button, I just feel bad for those innocent by-standers that have to deal with the repercussions of our decisions. I can't send money to help the family, but I'm definitely sending my prayers for his recovery!

I am looking for a new helmet, though! I figure a good helmet might be a little more helpful than the $50 TDC helmet I bought a couple years ago! It's DOT approved, but I know there are safer one's.

TheJaspMan

#32 Post by TheJaspMan »

I have got to tell you, his physical side is improving every minute. That is what I was trying to express to his mother. Right now they can barely handle him when he needs help standing. Give him week and he will over power them when he wants somthing. That is why control is so important. He was brick layer for the last 10 years. This is one strong guy. I had to push on his broken collar bone once to get a point across. I know that sounds mean, but short of shoving him down it was nessesary to get control. When he is not 'himself' he is a very sly and angry person. His only goal is to escape. It's the wierdest thing I have ever delt with.

I would also like to mention that when he is fully himself we still talk about quads, racing and the future. He would never want people to stop racing or riding. But we have spoken at length about safety.

The helmet issue has hit close to home. The wife and I are already looking for new ones. Snell approved and good quality. His helmet is the ONLY reason he is alive at all. And his chest guard is the ONLY reason he wasn't fully crushed by his handle bars. It's amazing when we look at the stuff.

Phil was sitting on the window sill with me and remembered somethig that LurkerBlaze told him at the track that day. It had something to do with just having fun. And that no trophy is worth dying for. It's just wood or metal, nothing more. Have fun and be safe. This really drives that home. Take your time and have fun. Phil knew the risks and was willing to take them. A fluke nearly cost him his life. But it didn't change his love for the sport. It simply proved that even on $12,000 quads with full gear you can get hurt. So be careful!

Happyboy

#33 Post by Happyboy »

I am very glad to hear he is doing better. I was feeling very bad for his wife when he had no memory. I hope his alter ego so to speak goes away very soon. I know it will be very hard for everyone once he gets physically better. They are still in our prayers.

TheJaspMan

#34 Post by TheJaspMan »

Great news. He got to eat some solid foods today! Lasagna and green beans. They want to remove his trach all together today and get him into rehab within 48 hours.

I spoke to him on the phone and he sounded pretty good.

His wife said he is doing really well and only struggles about 1/3 of the time. Struggling being floating thoughts and random wierdness.

I think rehab will be really good for him. He will get strong fast and I think it will help his mind if it's kept busy!!!!

More updates as things progress.

Lurker Blaze

great news

#35 Post by Lurker Blaze »

Talked to phil today on the phone and he sounded great, planning to see him thursday. He has been moved closer to home,was 3 hrs. away.its has been tough to comment on his condition because it hits to close to home.
I have lost one friend and had another friend paralyzed so like i said hit close to home.anyways phil sounds good and remembered conversations prior to his race and says he plans on racing cross country wow what a statement considering his condition last week.Just thought you would like to know.

Derno24

#36 Post by Derno24 »

Thanks for the updates guys....Glad to hear he is doing so well!

TheJaspMan

#37 Post by TheJaspMan »

We are starting to get some pictures back. Be careful, because some of the shots may be upsetting to those with emotional eyes.

Here is one of LurkerBlaze on the first night.

TheJaspMan

#38 Post by TheJaspMan »

Phil within eight hours of the accident.

TheJaspMan

#39 Post by TheJaspMan »

This one is nine days after.

TheJaspMan

#40 Post by TheJaspMan »

Here is 13 days.