rausch creek 7/4

cdrookie

rausch creek 7/4

#1 Post by cdrookie »

figured i'd get there early before the crowd came, but for some reason, the crowd never came:confused: i've never seen the place that dead, maybe on a weekday but not on a holiday weekend a few weeks before the 6 hour.

that was fine though, cause it was dusty. their water truck with the hose on it has a bad tranny so they could only water what they could drive to reach. they said they just redid the expert atv track a few days ago, it didn't look that bad to me, but i still wasn't gonna try anything on it. lurkerblaze:clap: wasn't anywhere around to save me! in fact i went by myself.

spent most of my time on the intermediate atv/motorcycle track. i really need to work on my mx skills, or lack there of. they put a new section in it since i was last there. unfortunately, they also added a scary:( double that always ruined my fun!

the razr's just weren't working for the hard pack. front end was darty also.

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

headed for the woods after a few hours of mx. really never been out in the woods section except when derno and myself was out there in march with the snow. trails went everywhere and i had no idea where i was going. they have markers but they're hard to follow with all the alternate trails going everywhere.

found the rough stuff and was going good till my hands cramped up:mad: that didn't take very long. was following an old xc course they had set up. you 6 hour guys are gonna have fun. bring your rock riding skills. got down by the RR tracks and came upon a muddy section.

made it out to a little "island" and had to get off and reposition the quad. was yanking the backend around and saw me wheel wobbling. all the lug nuts were loose on my left rear! i even loc tited them! i had no tools and was about as far away as i could possible be from the truck(which had no tools either). bad thing was i didn't know how to get back up there...

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

i was having overheating issues all day but it didn't matter much on the track. i thought it was strange that i had over 1/2 gallon of engine ice in my bike and it was still low. both hoses were hot but it was still boiling when i shut it off. fan wasn't working either. so imagine what was going on with me putting back up through the woods! every 250 yards or so i'd stop to check my nuts then wait till the bike quit boiling and go another 250 yards all the while hoping i was going in the right direction.

finally came out to the powerline that borders the rausch property. it's a LONG and ROCKY hill, yummy:) when your wheels are more than finger tight.

got back to the truck and borrowed some tools to tighten the nuts, tightened the chain, and stood the bike up to get the air out of the cooling system. then filled it with water and bs'd with the guys parked next to me. some guy on a 400ex was on the expert bike track tearing it up. didn't look to have the best mx set up on it(no arvins) and was pretty high and narrow. he cleared the big step up easily numerous times:wow didn't try the big double though.

cdrookie

#4 Post by cdrookie »

one of my bs partners left and found out the other lives a few miles from me. he said he wasn't a big fan of jumping and the 450r was his first quad. thought i'd go show him a thing or two out on the track so we took off, me in the lead.

we were on the back section, the woods portion, and you go through some drop offs and turns over a small jump along a straight then off another drop off before the next jump. i hit the jump and look over and see this dudes back tire at my eye level! i thought he didn't like jumping!!! he almost landed on me!

he said he rides there twice a week and that he has a thousand or two laps around it. no wonder.

a few of the rausch staff guys went out for some laps. better hope they don't enter the 6 hour cause they were hauling azz! they will probably have the layout perminatly etched in their brain by race day.

i had enough and packed up at about 3:45. that's when the fun began!:mad:

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

my trucks been sounding strange all weekend, belt squeeling and other goofy noises. i even poped the hood once, but everything looked ok to me so i closed it.

left the complex and not a mile away my generator light comes on. WTF? my gage is reading low but still within the lines. everything else looks fine. i shut the head lights off and continue on. gage goes back to normal. cool. haven't had a mt. dew all day, and with all the dust, i was needing one bad.

found a pop machine and got out and antifreeze was all over the ground! opened the hood and it was all over the engine compartment!:mad: luckily i had a gallon jug with me so i dump it's remains in the rad and go down to the stream that runs parrallel to the road for more water. dump some more in and it leaks out just as fast as i put it in. not good! it's leaking from the water pump. dam water pump only has 127,000 miles on it. oh well. 60 miles from home. fill up the water jug and empty my 2.5 gallon gas can and fill it with water also. then take off.

cdrookie

#6 Post by cdrookie »

i'm only getting 10 miles at best before overheating. looking like a long trip home. about half way i stop at a grocery store and get some pepper. dumped some in the rad and used a hose they have out front to fill up with water. and hit the road again. the pepper stopped most of the leaking but i think it plugged the thermostat.

i'd do good till someone got infront of me cutting off air flow to my rad. or get a stop light, then it'd shoot up fast. it was building too much pressure in traffic so i was still stuck at around 10 +- miles before stopping.

finally made it home. unfortunately i have to spend my day off tomorrow working on that POS.:hammer: