Cheesehead Glamis Trip

claas900

#71 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 2 2008, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These HID's are awesome check it out.This is in woods on cloudy night so its pitch black.Not anymore!No Flash on camera.[attachment=7642:Lights_002.jpg]

you better let me know where you got thos,I dont have lights on mine, heck I dont even have the wiring for them. I'll have to make shift something for the trip.

cannondale27

#72 Post by cannondale27 »

Oh Yeah sorry.Canniboomer set me up.If you are going to get light dont mess around with anything else.Give Boomer a call and he will set you up.Save $ in long run since you only will need to do it once.

rayspeed

#73 Post by rayspeed »

First time venturing out into the dunes at night... pitch black and no moon, blanket of clouds and not even a star in sight... me on a 250r with a weakest of weak stock headlight... Ron on a stock Banshee so no better off... we stop not too far out of camp where the dunes start and shut off the bikes... make some small talk about how only a cave could possibly be darker... and I say to him...
"Dude I'm not saying that I'm scared or anything but if you want to go back I'd be OK with it"

Don't get too wound up about the whole dune night riding experience if you have never done it before. It can be alot of fun but at the same time an actual shaking in your boots scary experience. You don't know untill you try it but I will say that lights are like hp, the more the better. For me there were times that I could really get into it and could lead a really good night ride and times where I just want no part of it.

The people I have been riding with for the last year... be it because they were dirtbike riders with no lights, the types that put their buzz on with dinner or were just plain rode out for the day leaves me a bit out of practice... so don't expect me to always be up for leading! Usually the guy with the best lights leads and second best brings up the rear, my lights are only so so compared to HID's.

Don't lead a night ride untill you are familliar with the area enough to stay out of the tight technical stuff because that can be deadly at night.

Ray

desertbound

#74 Post by desertbound »

I'll lead the night rides. Should be fun.

Kuma

#75 Post by Kuma »

One other thing to think about is filters, not a bad idea to bring a spare.

This is just my feeling about filters, K&N filters will pass some fine sand, outerwears also will let the fine sand through, My personel preferance is Uni foam filters, plenty of sticky foam filter oil, should not be soaked but no dry spots, also I have found that filter skins work great! oil them with K&N oil, put one over your filter and when it is dirty, peal it off, you will be amazed at how clean your filter is, they are great for a long weekend.

mydreamride

#76 Post by mydreamride »

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm taking notes. laugh.gif 23 days and counting

Crazie

#77 Post by Crazie »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 3 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll lead the night rides. Should be fun.

Anyone know if we'll have a full moon out? If so, lights out rides are almost crystal clear...just have to do it before the moon is directly overhead.

I'll be there too! And my garage will be open to anyone who needs surgery that can't be performed in the sand. I live in Yuma, so a 30 minute drive from Ogilby (where I usually camp) and you're there. I'll also open the doors to anyone who simply wants to take a shower or anything.

I'm not sure if I'll be there every day or not, but I'll definitely be there.

TIP: Whatever goggle you decide on, make sure it's comfortable! I can deal with a little sand better than not breating. I tried a pair of Smith or Scotts (can't remember which) that had an auto tinting lens. They were great, except they pinched my nose and screwed up my breathing.

When you have the pair you like, get two (one with clear lens, one with tinted). Makes it MUCH easier for swapping out. Many times you'll forget and end up in the middle of a night ride before you realize you have tinted lenses on.

To add to the packing list:

Toilet Paper
Baby Wipes
Sunscreen
Bandana - I can't use them, but for some people it keeps them from breathing in sand.
Over-the-boot pants - Some wear shorts, but I have found that I get sand it my boots wearing shorts, so I stick to over the boot pants.

That's all I can think of for now.

Canniboomer

#78 Post by Canniboomer »

A visit into Mexico is also quick and easy, at the small border town near the dunes. I forget what ID is needed, or if a Passport is now required,....but I would add these to the list:

- Mexico-visit ID as needed.
- Drugs Shopping List, for whatever you may want to score from the "farmacias" there.

You can bring back a large variety of items for personal use. You do not have to drive in. There is a huge parking lot, and you just walk across.

desertbound

#79 Post by desertbound »

Algodones is the town. Unfortunately there is now a 20ft tall steel fence that seals the border. We used to be able to ride the dunes on the mexico side. Not anymore. The fence goes right through the dunes. When I was little we used to ride right into town. I would ride my atc 70 all the way there. So Buttercups riding area has been cut in half. Kinda sucks because it is where my family goes. Gordons for us now. It's just sad that things have gotten so bad that we need a wall going right through the dunes.

rayspeed

#80 Post by rayspeed »

There seems to be a crackdown lately for proper registration and paperwork and they are even impounding vehicles. The rail guys are talking about it alot here.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....mpounding+rails
LE's are actually going camp to camp checking paperwork without probable cause and looking at stuff in trailers. Of course that has a flaming debate going on the legality of that.
It seems to be more about raising revenue than finding stolen stuff.
So if your state issues any kind of plate make sure you have it displayed and a copy of your title might be a good idea to tape under your seat. If you dont have a plate you will need an out of state sticker. http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....c=157715&hl
So I would not bring anything that has title, serial number or paperwork problems if you want to take it back with you.