Cheesehead Glamis Trip

desertbound

#81 Post by desertbound »

This is true. My uncles buggy almost got impounded. It was built in 1979 and he has never had it registered. They came to our camp and called the tow truck. It took me and 6 other guys in our camp my size to tell him he wasn't taking it without problems before he let him off with a ticket. Luckily it was a young LEO who was very intimidated by me. I wouldn't suggest that route though. It's easier to just have your paperwork. The whole ordeal started because the camp next to us was shooting off fireworks and they thought it was us. So after they invaded all of our privacy by rifling through our possessions, I wasn't in a mood to play around. Especially since they got the guy who was shooting off the fireworks, but decided to send the rookie to bust our chops.

The picture below is my uncle holding me as a baby. The buggy that almost got towed is in the background. I was 6 months old there. That should tell you how long I've been going to the dunes. HA ha ha

There was only 50% of the usual crowd out this thanksgiving. That means the LEO's are looking for anything to generate revenue. Don't get me wrong, most of the LEO's are there to help and are nice people. The few bad ones ruin it for everyone though.

[attachment=7653:baby.jpg]

Crazie

#82 Post by Crazie »

FYI for anyone who doesn't know, out of state stickers can be purchased here in Yuma. I think they are only $25 or so.

They are now required, whether you have registered your OHV in your current state or not. I camp out at Ogilby and we've never had any run-ins with Rangers. It's usually quieter at Ogilby though, so I think they typically avoid the area.

mydreamride

#83 Post by mydreamride »

So us out of staters will need a to buy a sticker when we get there even with current registration or stickers easily visible (for us in WI)? Not a big deal because silver lake sand dunes in michigan does the same thing for the same price I think. Few questions, how strict are they about noise, can we come setup with open exhausts while not worrying, and do they have a dba limit that they strongly enforce like WI does (MAX of 96dba's) that will require us to use our **** power killers

Crazie

#84 Post by Crazie »

The sticker and camping permit is all you need. No other restrictions.

I heard last year that they were cracking down on people who didn't have a red flag (or red in the flag). Other than that, if you're bringing drinks, make sure it's plastic or aluminum...no bottles allowed.

Camping permits can be purchased in Yuma as well. They are (I think) $25 for a week or two?? Someone may need to correct me on that one though. I know the season permits are something like $130 now. You only need one camping permit per tow vehicle (i.e. for the truck, car, etc.).

Oh yeah, make sure you have a tail light of some sort for night rides. It can be a red flashlight taped on the back for all they care.

mydreamride

#85 Post by mydreamride »

QUOTE (Crazie @ Dec 5 2008, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sticker and camping permit is all you need. No other restrictions.

I heard last year that they were cracking down on people who didn't have a red flag (or red in the flag). Other than that, if you're bringing drinks, make sure it's plastic or aluminum...no bottles allowed.

Camping permits can be purchased in Yuma as well. They are (I think) $25 for a week or two?? Someone may need to correct me on that one though. I know the season permits are something like $130 now. You only need one camping permit per tow vehicle (i.e. for the truck, car, etc.).

Oh yeah, make sure you have a tail light of some sort for night rides. It can be a red flashlight taped on the back for all they care.

Lights won't be an issue since I'll be riding my 06 YFZ450 (LED tail and brake light) and the stock headlights with extreme white bulbs. My flags have a safety orange colored flag is that OK or will I have to make it red. Definitly anxious to see what riding at night in the dunes are like, should be a blast regaurdless what time of the day it is.

desertbound

#86 Post by desertbound »

As long as you have a whip you are fine. Don't worry about sound either.

mydreamride

#87 Post by mydreamride »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 5 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as you have a whip you are fine. Don't worry about sound either.

Cool just wanted to check about sound, Since I've already got a $160.00 fine for being over the limit (102 vs 96) in WI over the summer on the first day of a week long ride (that sucked)

cannondale27

#88 Post by cannondale27 »

This is really informative.Thanks all you Duners!

mydreamride

#89 Post by mydreamride »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 3 2008, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These HID's are awesome check it out. This is in woods on cloudy night so its pitch black. Not anymore! No Flash on camera.[attachment=7642:Lights_002.jpg]

Steve how does this look. Not bad for stock headlights with $20 bulbs on the yfz. Now I'm ready for some night riding too.

Edit: this was with the flash turned off on the camera

rayspeed

#90 Post by rayspeed »

So they are cracking down on the fireworks too! I dont mind them when it is a guys trip but when the wife and the dogs are along it kind of freaks them out when they are close.
So that brings up another good point.... earplugs if you are a light sleeper or have a hard time getting to sleep around alot of noise.
Besides you never know if your camping mates saw the wood all night!