Cheesehead Glamis Trip

NRath

#101 Post by NRath »

The only issue I remember having on my one trip was with the flag pole. Mine broke several times. Have a good plan in mind for repairing it if it happens. The squeeze type flag holders will let you slide it back in, clamp it in, and keep on going. If you're able to find it!

You guys are going to have such a good freaking time!!! It's killing me! Wish I were able to go. My only real suggestion is stay on the quad! You'll go out for a ride, play some follwo the leader, climb some hills and head back to camp for lunch. Don't BS around. Get some food then get back on the quad! There was alot of fun to be had off the dunes, too. Maybe it would be called in the washes. Don't know. But it wasn't hilly dunes, it was like trails that ran through the desert kind of thing. Lots of wide open, real fast riding- it was a total blast!!! All of it was a blast!!!!!

cannondale27

#102 Post by cannondale27 »

Yeah for sure. We are bringing knobbies along also so I am all for some Baja style running. Try out that new skidplate 2000ex made laugh.gif

Kuma

#103 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (NRath @ Dec 12 2008, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only issue I remember having on my one trip was with the flag pole. Mine broke several times. Have a good plan in mind for repairing it if it happens. The squeeze type flag holders will let you slide it back in, clamp it in, and keep on going. If you're able to find it!

You guys are going to have such a good freaking time!!! It's killing me! Wish I were able to go. My only real suggestion is stay on the quad! You'll go out for a ride, play some follwo the leader, climb some hills and head back to camp for lunch. Don't BS around. Get some food then get back on the quad! There was alot of fun to be had off the dunes, too. Maybe it would be called in the washes. Don't know. But it wasn't hilly dunes, it was like trails that ran through the desert kind of thing. Lots of wide open, real fast riding- it was a total blast!!! All of it was a blast!!!!!

You shouldn't have an issue with braking wips if you keep the rubber side down rolleyes.gif

Crazie

#104 Post by Crazie »

I've seen lots of new guys (new to dunes & whips) break them off 2 or 3 times in one trip just from getting on or off the quad! It is a pain trying to get those things back into the traditional style mount though.

I definitely agree on getting the quick connect / disconnect style mounts. Just don't get the "Break-away" style ones. They have a rubber mount that pops off instead of the whip breaking. I have a buddy who has one and he's constantly stopping to put it back in....just with mild whoops or little jumps.

svahle

#105 Post by svahle »

Our whips have a large spring at the bottom. We've yet to break a whip and we've had several quads upside down over the years. We buy them at Little Sahara, OK and they have a lifetime guarantee. Once in a while the spring will get tweeked and the whip won't stand up perfectly straight, but it will still serve its purpose.

cannondale27

#106 Post by cannondale27 »

Can I get a nice whip at Glamis on Sunday? Will bring mine either way. These thing will bend a grab bar before they break just needs flag. Will put light on tip for at night. So if we make it there by sat night we can ride.

Crazie

#107 Post by Crazie »

I'm sure they'll have some at the Glamis store or at Gordons (Vendors Row if they still it). Do you guys know where you're going to camp at? Depending on where you camp, Glamis could be a day trip.

There are four basic camping areas (not sure if this has been mentioned or is already known):

Buttercup - South side of I-8
Ogilby - North side of I-8 (on the east side of the dunes)
Gordons Well - North side of I-8 (on the west side of the dunes)
Glamis - Farthest North camping spot.

I believe Glamis is something like a 15 mile dune ride from either Ogilby or Gordons.

Kuma

#108 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 12 2008, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I get a nice whip at Glamis on Sunday?Will bring mine either way.These thing will bend a grabbar before they break just needs flag.Will put light on tip for at night.So if we make it there by sat night we can ride.

Plenty of venders at glamis, excluding a dale they have enough stuff to rebuild a quad from the ground up.
It was about a 25 mile ride through the dunes from glamis to the canal at hiway 8, although now the forbiden zone is right in the way, you can still get to Ogilby by staying on the gravel road by the tracks (not good for paddles) or there is a sand hiway that you can take from roadrunner to the open area near Gordons Well, either way you would be better off burning a tank af gas duning on either side then take a day trip to check out the other end.

Crazie

#109 Post by Crazie »

Agreed about the ride to Glamis. We usually spend one day taking newcomers up there just so they see what all the talk is about and get the "Full" experience. Really nothing special up there, just choppy dunes and crowds.

Funny thing is, I think I've only been there 4 or 5 times in the 6 years I've been going. I've only camped there once, and vowed to never do it again.

cannondale27

#110 Post by cannondale27 »

We are going to camp at Wash 2 I believe first day. Kuma sent me a map of where to go. We are going to try our best to make it there in time to ride sat night but it will be pushing it for sure.