Cheesehead Glamis Trip

Sandstorm

#51 Post by Sandstorm »

We have more technical stuff then Glamis. You will be fine at Glamis C27. Lower the expectations a little and the monster dunes of Sa's won't be calling you out. Glamis is fun but it's a little over rated. The big stuff is in Utah and Idaho and you will soon find that out once you get to Gordons or Glamis. Sand blind is more evident in late spring/early fall. The sun is more overhead and hard to see any shadows. Glamis riding season is late fall/early spring when the dunes are easier to read. Glamis is more desolet then Ut or Id.

cannondale27

#52 Post by cannondale27 »

You should make the trip Sandstorm. Buddah too. Good time!

rayspeed

#53 Post by rayspeed »

One piece of overlooked safety equipment I like to use are two way radios. At minimum I like to post someone at the end of the line to give me feedback on the pace and if somebody goes down or has a problem or just needs a rest I can get everyone back to help out quickly. If alot of people have them then I have just that many more eyes to watch out for danger.

It is an important tool for the leader so that they can focus attention on the task at hand... avoiding collision, picking good safe lines and keeping track of general direction . It is much harder to lead a good fast ride without them because you have to split your attention to either looking back or circling around to check on the group and you end up stoping alot which breaks concentration. Nothing worse than getting a great groove going and looking back to find yourself alone! Untill you find them every possible scenario runs thru your head on what might have happened.

I have the x-1 chatterboxes and they are pretty expensive but one great feature is that I can plug in a ipod and get some jammin tunes going. If I have a small group of good riders with radios going and the ac/dc starts playing you are in for a ride! You can get a pair of little frs radios for twenty bucks or so and clip it to your camel pack that can tune to the chatterbox channels, not quite as good but they come in handy in alot of situations. You can plug in some ear buds to hear better if you want and if it is clipped up high on your pack you use it like the cops do and reach up to key it to talk. I usually use channel 2-25.

Of course a gps with someone that knows exactly how to use it and cell phones are good to have too.

Sandstorm

#54 Post by Sandstorm »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 22 2008, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should make the trip Sandstorm.Buddah too.Good time!

New job no vacation time. Buddah didn't care for Glamis at all. He's glad he went, but wouldn't even considering going again. You guys will have fun. Rayspeed leads a great pace and is fun to follow!!

desertbound

#55 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Nov 22 2008, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One piece of overlooked safety equipment I like to use are two way radios. At minimum I like to post someone at the end of the line to give me feedback on the pace and if somebody goes down or has a problem or just needs a rest I can get everyone back to help out quickly. If alot of people have them then I have just that many more eyes to watch out for danger.

It is an important tool for the leader so that they can focus attention on the task at hand... avoiding collision, picking good safe lines and keeping track of general direction . It is much harder to lead a good fast ride without them because you have to split your attention to either looking back or circling around to check on the group and you end up stoping alot which breaks concentration. Nothing worse than getting a great groove going and looking back to find yourself alone! Untill you find them every possible scenario runs thru your head on what might have happened.

I have the x-1 chatterboxes and they are pretty expensive but one great feature is that I can plug in a ipod and get some jammin tunes going. If I have a small group of good riders with radios going and the ac/dc starts playing you are in for a ride! You can get a pair of little frs radios for twenty bucks or so and clip it to your camel pack that can tune to the chatterbox channels, not quite as good but they come in handy in alot of situations. You can plug in some ear buds to hear better if you want and if it is clipped up high on your pack you use it like the cops do and reach up to key it to talk. I usually use channel 2-25.

Of course a gps with someone that knows exactly how to use it and cell phones are good to have too.

I have the x-1 chatterbox too. I just left it at home last time out. I'll make sure I bring mine. I love it when I can listen to tunes while riding. I also love it when my wife gets scared and can tell me she is going around something. Or when I can say, "there is a decent drop off up here. Make sure you come in at an angle and keep your speed up". It makes her feel safer. Especially since she has only been riding for a little over 5 years. I hate getting an earfull when she rolls though. tongue.gif

gml1998

#56 Post by gml1998 »

Calling all Duners.
Since this is my first trip to any type of dunes,what type of equipment and clothing are must haves for desert riding.Keep in mind I will be riding with C27 so I won't have unlimited space.
Also what brand goggles work best in sand,I understand some types let the sand and dust filter through foam?
Thanks.Gary

cannondale27

#57 Post by cannondale27 »

Gary plan is to take enclosed trailer so lots of room for gear.If we get four guys will have even more room since will use a bigger trailer.As it stands now will be 3 in trailer and one in back of truck.Will be test fitting quads in trailer next week.Plan to put 3 in 6x12 sideways or if we have to standing up.I am bringing gear for all weather and hopefully shorts also.8deg F here last night.Brrrr!

rayspeed

#58 Post by rayspeed »

These goggles are light sensative so they change color on thier own like photogrey sunglasses only they go dark blue in the sun. Polarized so you can see definition in the sand better. Best thing is that you only need one pair cause they go yellow at night so they are kind of like the next best thing to night vision. They seal out the sand really well too.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...tId=&mmyId=

As far as riding pants you want something loose so that you can fit a pair of lightweight thermals under if you want to ride at night, it can get a bit nippy. I like riding pants that have some cotton in them as they are warm when it is cold and cool when it is hot. Some riding pants have zippers so you can make them into shorts quickly when you get back to camp and that is really handy. Kind of like these... a bargain at thirty some bucks if they have them in your size.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...0204&mmyId=

Pants that go over the boot rather than tuck in keeps the sand from going down our boots.

I would avoid really dark colors or black, they tend to overcook you in the sun. Likewise with the cotton on the riding shirt but nylon is ok if you dont get caught out in the cold.

Good idea to bring some sort of quick and easy to apply sunscreen for your exposed skin.

A lightweight windbreaker jacket is a good thing to have around.

Camel pack is a matter of necessity.

Small tool kit for the camel pack is a good idea.

Lightweight long tow strap wrapped around your front bumper wards off needing it for yourself!

A head sock is nice for keeping sand out of your nose and mouth if it is windy and keeps your hair cleaner and your helmet drier.

Prepping your bike for a lighted whip quick disconnect and buying or making a lighted whip is a good idea for riding at night but not required, but a working tail light is required.

If you get a pass there for the week it is $40 for your truck, there are places to get it online since you know exactly when you are going for $25 I think.

cannondale27

#59 Post by cannondale27 »

Bring Chapstick also or your lips will be shot in a day.Seriously.

desertbound

#60 Post by desertbound »

Good call on the chapstick. Oakley also makes a sand goggle. It's what I use. Around $40 and come with tinted and clear lenses. Basically if the foam is thin and the goggles don't fit snug against your face, you are gonna get sand in them. But most "MX use" goggles are vented and let sand in. Just look at the goggles between the frame and foam. If there are vents, they will eventually let sand in. I have also had good luck with Dragon and Utopia.