Cheesehead Glamis Trip

thedeatons

#61 Post by thedeatons »

Sorry to disagree desertbound, but I returned 2 pairs of Oakley sand goggles for full refunds. The foam was so dense they would not breathe. My wife and I could not see for two days, until I dug out our old Smiths. Problem solved. Polarized goggles rock though.

For pants I suggest Thor Statics, which are zipoffs. Zipoffs are great because they are a full over the boot pant, with a removable bottom for when it gets hot. They are awesome.

Bring a Camelback.

Do NOT apply chapstick before the ride, sand will stick to your lips.

Bring a tool kit. I need to post pics of mine. We used Cannondale under-the-seat bicycle pods, and bought a nice bicycle tool (has metric hex wrenches) to put in the pod. Then we went to REI and bought climbing rope, rated for high weight, and two weight rated caribiners. We have used this as a sand rated tow strap many times, and it fits in the space of half a Pepsi can. I will try to get pics next week.....

Bring a tire gauge, you will want to get your front tires to ~11psi and your rears to 4psi (or below if you have beadlocks).

Large hammer
MAPP Gas Torch
Compression tester
Flywheel puller
Hex wrenches
Compressor/Impact Gun
Lights
Spray adhesive (for when your grips start to twist then come off in your hand during a 40' jump)
Chain lube
(Check your ball joints before you come)
Red Loctite
Extra bolts/screws of every kind
Oil
Coolant
Tranny Fluid

I'm sure I can think of more..... Basically anything that can fall off of the frame, bring an extra.....

desertbound

#62 Post by desertbound »

I haven't had any problems with the oakley sand goggles. Sand is a bit$&. It's gonna get in. The oakley O-frame sand goggles are the ones I like. The L frames suck. They make sand versions in all of their goggles. Maybe the L frames are what you used. Real square looking??

Either way, polarized are nice, and any goggle is better than none. Thor makes a really nice sand goggle too.

Kuma

#63 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Nov 23 2008, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't had any problems with the oakley sand goggles. Sand is a bit$&. It's gonna get in. The oakley O-frame sand goggles are the ones I like. The L frames suck. They make sand versions in all of their goggles. Maybe the L frames are what you used. Real square looking??

Either way, polarized are nice, and any goggle is better than none. Thor makes a really nice sand goggle too.

There is a product out there called goggle oil, you oil your foam on the goggles, keeps the sand out. do not try to use baby oil or wesson oil or your eyes will be burning, there is a cheap alternative that I have found, a 4 oz bottle of glycerin at the drug store is about 6 bucks, 1 oz bottle of goggle oil is about 8.

Also bring a few pair of good riding underwear, will help keep away the dreaded Monkey Butt.

HID lights are nice if you have a few extra $, when night riding, you can only go as fast as you can see.

desertbound

#64 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Nov 23 2008, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a product out there called goggle oil, you oil your foam on the goggles, keeps the sand out. do not try to use baby oil or wesson oil or your eyes will be burning, there is a cheap alternative that I have found, a 4 oz bottle of glycerin at the drug store is about 6 bucks, 1 oz bottle of goggle oil is about 8.

Also bring a few pair of good riding underwear, will help keep away the dreaded Monkey Butt.

HID lights are nice if you have a few extra $, when night riding, you can only go as fast as you can see.

Hid's are life savers. I love those lights. I'm hinting at the wife. Ha h aha. Xmas is coming.

gml1998

#65 Post by gml1998 »

1 month to go!!!! tongue.gif
Any word on a 4th person ?

cannondale27

#66 Post by cannondale27 »

Nope still open for 1 more. Will be doing a test fit of the quads in trailer tomorrow. Need to make them fit. I took a 45 minute trip with trailer yesterday and got 15 mpg taking it easy. Suspect it will be better with Raptor in back of truck to shoot wind over trailer. Either way I would say 11 mpg is easily done so it will be about $300 each for gas. Will bring cooler and cooking supplies for food since eating out all the time costs $. Trailer is setup with cots and a generator for heat and light. Raptor is the spare quad if someones breaks. If we have 4 guys can bring another spare quad for a total of 6 I believe. I have a bigger enclosed trailer lined up if we get 4 but we will be renting it so more $. Would come out better though with 4 I think. Hard to believe no one wants to go. If pinching pennies I could see this weeklong trip of a lifetime costing around $600 each! Think nice weather and the ultimate playtime! I know for sure I won't be going again for years. We really hit the gas prices right also. Praying they won't go up in next month.

cannondale27

#67 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey all you duners why are you getting sand in your goggles and lips?Only time I got that was when I got roosted laugh.gif

Did see a Sandstorm but if that happens I aint going out!

cannondale27

#68 Post by cannondale27 »

Cannondale is ready to go except for the whip! Man paddles and the fronts are awesome in the snow. Put a 1/2 hr of ditch running in laugh.gif

Check out the HID's and the nice brake light which you all may have seen before. Seem to have lost the front switch though. I am really pumped. Only 3 more weeks! And yes its coming there with a bit of mud on it. Too dang cold to wash!
[attachment=7639:Snowbowling_001.jpg]
[attachment=7640:Snowbowling_002.jpg]
[attachment=7641:Snowbowling_004.jpg]

cannondale27

#69 Post by cannondale27 »

These HID's are awesome check it out. This is in woods on cloudy night so its pitch black. Not anymore! No Flash on camera.[attachment=7642:Lights_002.jpg]

Canniboomer

#70 Post by Canniboomer »

....woohoo!..... finally another Cannondale that can actually lead the way at night! tongue.gif