My 1st Glamis trip

badvox

My 1st Glamis trip

#1 Post by badvox »

No, not for the season but lifetime!

I'll start with the basics. Pulled in late due to a dune buggy starting issue of one of the guys I camp with. Our other friends gave us the spotlight treatment as we pulled in just past Wash 13. Clearly our lucky number as they almost got us stuck by the way they led us in!! By midnight my camp was setup, kids shipped off to bed, and friends checking out my new suspension.

Saturday morning got my first look at the area and in the distance there were dunes as far as I could see. What a sight on an awesome morning in So Cal, especially when you've never seen a dune before.

So, I warmed up my ride and wanted to get a feel for the new TCS suspension so I went towards the road to the whoops. Took it slow for a bit and wow all I can say is LT ROCKS!

mike

badvox

#2 Post by badvox »

So we gather up and are now ready to head off to Oldsmobile.
Started off bad friends buggy started poopin out again. 2 stay back while we try to head out again. Get to about wash 6 and my son for some unknown reason locks up his brakes and my daughter crashes into him flies over the handlebars. sad.gif :cry:
I was off my quad before she landed. She is fine physically but emotionally a wreck as was I. We head back to camp as the others continue the journey.

We're hangin out eating ice cream playing cards and up pulls friend towing my son! Yikes what now. Drive belt snapped on his 90. :mad: Still havin fun though...

Next the buggy pulls up and says uh oh one of the other quads lost a clutch (400EX). So now the plan is buggy loads up kids and my buddy and myself mount up to go see whats up. They were stuck at olds.

badvox

#3 Post by badvox »

So now its a buggy, friends 400EX, and my ATK VR. So we get to rockin. It was pretty mellow till we turned off the whoop road onto the sand and then it was hammer down to olds with a brief 5 mph run by vendors.

Riding along to olds was the first time I ever really opened my VR all the way. WOW :eek: What a blast. We were cruisin takin turns leading. When I was following I was basically like a car on the freeway cruising 5th gear. When I wanted to lead I just went down to 4th and nailed it and breezed right by.

So, now at olds we sat and watched the hill a bit.
Here is a highlight for ya... There was one of the original Hummers out there at the top of the hill. All the LT Cars are just flyin down. The hummer starts his decent noticeably very slow and in control. He gets about 2/3 down the hill and stops. Throws it in reverse and just crawls up oldsmobile in reverse at about I dunno 2-5 mph. This got a standing ovation and lots of cheers from all on lookers.

Anyway, we then headed back to head to comp hill. on the way the EX had to switch to reserve tank so that cut us short and we then cruised back to camp.

Bottomline my first dune trip was tons of fun. My worst experience was watching my little girl go over those handlebars for sure. Best experience riding back to camp with her and foolin around on the way just the 2 of us!!

mike

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Sounds like a good time. I have only been there once and that was a little under a year ago. I too remember seeing miles of sand dunes. Its breathtaking to say the least.

Sandstorm

#5 Post by Sandstorm »

Sand is like a drug. It just feels good and can be addicting.. I'm trying to come down to Glamis in Feb w/ Wyoduner and the dunereview.com clan..

badvox

#6 Post by badvox »

I can see why.

Be forewarned that comp hill is in danger. The hours are getting shorter and shorter according to some of the people we met.
I think comp hill was open from 9 or 10 to 5 pm.

Sounds like there is still an environmental battle going on and its hard to tell who is winning exactly.

The weather this weekend was mid 90's

mike

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I thought I heard something about them opening up a lot of it b/c the plants weren't really in any danger.

badvox

#8 Post by badvox »

Its still a battle apprently. Most of the websites still have the articles up about that flower. I don't know a whole lot about Glamis so I cant really say much more than what I hear and read about.

Its a real ugly flower though. :drink:

Mike

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

Is it the flower with the purple bloom that is all over the **** place?

badvox

#10 Post by badvox »

YUP! :mad: :head: