Little Sahara, Utah trip 5 days over easter break

badvox

Little Sahara, Utah trip 5 days over easter break

#1 Post by badvox »

Hey there Utah guys I need some info...

My cousin planned us a 5 day stint up at Little Sahara Utah over Easter break. So whats the skinny on Little Sahara over Easter? Crowds, weather, etc..

This trip is inked so I wanted to let you guys know. I'd like to see if I cant meet you Utes on your own turf up there!!

Mike

acarli3

#2 Post by acarli3 »

Easter Weekend has to be the most crowded weekend of the year at LS. It's considered the season opener for dune riding here. I went last year and the campgrounds were packed as was the base of Sand Mountain. However, once you are out in the dunes, it wasn't too bad. Just be careful.

badvox

#3 Post by badvox »

acarli3

being as im from cali I would bet there is quite a difference between your definition of crowded and ours down here.
What is crowded in terms of numbers? For example there was an estimated 150,000 at Glamis this year for New Years weekend.

Halloween at Dumont this year was extremely crowded with pretty much every campsite filled on Saturday which meant heavy heavy traffic around all camps and to and from the dunes. They were a good 3 rows deep at comp hill.

Whats a good comparison for LS?

Thanks for the dirt!! :clap:

Oh and by the way my cousin swears "Oh we dont go on holidays too nuts for us". Yeah right every friggin trip theyve planned this year is on a darn holiday weekend. Halloween, New Year, Easter, Presidents Day... Pretty much the WORST weekends to go the entire year!!

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

Well we have four campgrounds. All get full. Sand Mtn area holds around 12,000 people. It is very very noisy and not family oriented at all. People shoot the hill all night long so if you aren't a heavy sleeper or drink yourself to sleeep you can forget about sleep. Busy is around 25k people.. Oasis is the one we always stay/camp at. About 5 miles from Sand Mtn and then White Sands is about 9 miles from Sand Mtn.. White Sand is very family oriented and right next to the dunes. You could walk to the dunes as they would only be 300 ft away to watch the kiddies.. Our hill has alot of people, but you just can't keep racing it. Our hill is waaaay big then Oldsmoblie Ant Hill and you will fry a motor very easily.. The big bowls are behind Sand Mtn.. Many other monter hills to the right and left of Sand Mtn that are all bigger then anything Glamis has to offer.. There is a great trail that rides along the top of the dunes at 600ft above the lower dunes. This trail runs for 2 miles and ends at the top of Sand Mtn.. Many big dune climbs in the trail off to the sides. Go to dunereview for a map and pics..

Sandstorm

#5 Post by Sandstorm »

Well we have four campgrounds. All get full. Sand Mtn area holds around 12,000 people. It is very very noisy and not family oriented at all. People shoot the hill all night long so if you aren't a heavy sleeper or drink yourself to sleeep you can forget about sleep. Busy is around 25k people.. Oasis is the one we always stay/camp at. About 5 miles from Sand Mtn and then White Sands is about 9 miles from Sand Mtn.. White Sand is very family oriented and right next to the dunes. You could walk to the dunes as they would only be 300 ft away to watch the kiddies.. Our hill has alot of people, but you just can't keep racing it. Our hill is waaaay big then Oldsmoblie Ant Hill and you will fry a motor very easily.. The big bowls are behind Sand Mtn.. Many other monter hills to the right and left of Sand Mtn that are all bigger then anything Glamis has to offer.. There is a great trail that rides along the top of the dunes at 600ft above the lower dunes. This trail runs for 2 miles and ends at the top of Sand Mtn.. Many big dune climbs in the trail off to the sides. Go to dunereview for a map and pics.. Sand Mtn is dead center in this pic w/ camping/surviving at the bottom of the hill. That dune is about 3 miles wide in the pic..

Sandstorm

#6 Post by Sandstorm »

Pic from the top of Sand Mtn of Easter last year. We got 6" of snow so the crowds were down that weekend.. Notice the ponds from the melted snow..

acarli3

#7 Post by acarli3 »

I just flew over Little Sahara UT the other day on my way to CA. It was covered in snow but still put me in withdrawls for riding season.