Glamis in February!

Sandstorm

#11 Post by Sandstorm »

Experience is how I have learned.. Waaaay to many people over paddle a quad. 400ex's shouldn't be running 8 paddle anything. It is simply to much, though they think its a great set up until they try less paddles and realize the anchor they were dragging in the sand before w/ more paddles.. You really want a 6 paddle.. Since that is a custom order it's not reasonable for price and time so go w/ the next best thing, a 7 paddle on the shelf tire.. Both my set ups are custom made so I had to wait to get them from my hook up guy.. I like Gliders and would do an 8 or 9 paddle in 22" if I wanted the absolute best for drags/hillshooting performance... Gliders are the secret nobody wants to beleive.. If I put my Athena up against a Dale w/ molded paddles I would make your Dale look stupid,, really stupid, cause you will get blitzed in a big way.. Oh and never ever ever ever ever ever use a 10" wheel did I say ever.???

Mjollnir

#12 Post by Mjollnir »

Yo, everyone keep in mind that Henry is as close to a pro duner as you can get. He will notice differences in paddles that you never will unless you ride dunes a LOT. Dunes are all I ride, and for my money, you will have 99.9% of the fun on the cheapest set of paddles as you will on the most expensive.

Henry's advise is good, but it's like asking John Force what kind of motor to put in your race car. He says, well, don't bother with the 1200hp Prostock motor, it's just not as fast as this here Nitro Funny-car motor. Sure, it's not fast to HIM, but for you, it's already more than you can handle.

IMHO, save your money. Haulers are the most expenseive off the shelf paddle there is. Get a set of sand devils or the Sandstars, or those sand sharks work well too. As a novice duner, you will have just as much fun, I guarantee it.

Stay away from Geckos and Paddle-Masters.

Sandstorm

#13 Post by Sandstorm »

What Marc states is true that's why I threw in the Sand Devils.. I own a set. They are cheap work well and last forever..

timbomoose

#14 Post by timbomoose »

"Oh and never ever ever ever ever ever use a 10" wheel did I say ever.???"

Sand just curious why never to run 10"?I ran 10" haulers with 20" 9 paddle.Seemed to work excellent and really pulled away from others especially on top end in the wet and dry sand flat dragging and hill shooting, but I didn't try anything else on that machine so nothing to compare to. Just asking to learn some more. Always looking for a better setup.

wanablaze

#15 Post by wanablaze »

Sand,
I'm also curious as to what size wheel you'd recommend and why. Also, how does the number of paddles affect the way the machine performs.

Sandstorm

#16 Post by Sandstorm »

You want an 8" wheel only. A 22" tire is the best for nothing but pure speed.. It allows lots of sidewall to float on the sand. A 10" wheel digs because it has less sidewall on the tire. It also weighs more and tires can't grow as well with air pressure changes. A 9 paddle is to much even for a 505.. The idea is to rev out freely in every gear. Yes your 9 paddles may be doing this, but getting some spin is good as the tires need to revolve as quickly as possible. The Icecube YFZ's here only run 8 paddles at the most and they are built to the nuts for strictly hillshooting. Alot of them run a 6 paddle Hauler. 21 or 22's can be aired waaay up and this makes the tire grow.........ALOT and this changes the gearing. If you can't pull the proper gear at the finsih line whenver/whatever it is, you can air down the tire or air it up and it changes the gearing.. Skat Traks are the best for this. An even bigger advantage is to narrow up the axle by 3 or so inches. More reduced rolling mass. Also run triple buff Skat Traks. This is even less weight for more foward speed.. Glamis is holding Four Stroke Wars in Jan.. If Timbo wants to build us (Dale community) a strictly hillshooting great running reliable motor/quad I would gladly go down to Glamis and pilot the 505 w/ as many Dalers coming to cheer us on to a win.. I can ship the quad from Pennsylvania to Utah for about 225 or ship me a motor and fly out to SLC and we will hit KBR's dyno to dial it in then to Glamis.. You guys can fly to SLC and we can go down to Glamis in my toyhauler and kick arse!!!!.. This is for 08 of course and not in two months.. Sorry, I got carried away... LOL

K&T runs 14 paddle tripple buff Haulers on their Crankensteins running 175 rwhp.

A video I made that they use on their website of Crankenstein.. Video number 5 on this page..

http://www.ktperformance.com/vids.asp

timbomoose

#17 Post by timbomoose »

Thanks Henry good write up it makes sence.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

Lets not forget about the good old pro wedgeII. My SAS didnt have any trouble with any other quad except for Tims at the drags .

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

biggrin.gif

Mjollnir

#20 Post by Mjollnir »

Hitting four stroke wars with a bottle-baby monster motor in Glamis would be SuhWEET. I would be willing to donate parts for that, and would definately be there to provide any support and sleeping accomadations to those who needed them. We need to get Deanna (Henry's girl - I think I got her name right) to ride it in the races though. She's a great rider, and like 80 lbs soaking wet!

Marc