Oregon Dunes with the Deatons

Canniboomer

#1 Post by Canniboomer »

I managed to catch the tail end of a great group ride at the Oregon Dunes. What started out as a typical dunes trip for theDeatons, cdsracer, tvanbokern, family, friends, etc -- well, it kind of expanded into an impromptu Cannondale West Coast event!

They tell me they peaked out at 14 Cannondales at one time (13 quads and 1 dirtbike), but a total of 16 or more were actually parked there over the 4th, and including a mystery stranger on a Glamis seen in the dunes.

Anyway, it was a great group of people!.... all helping each other, and doing what Cannondaleriders are famous for:... wrenching, riding, and enjoying each other's company.

Actually, wrenching was kept to a minimum, and mainly related to the pesky flywheels. Most of the machines ran flawlessly, as usual.

I just wanted to say thanks again guys and gals!, for the invitation and great hospitality. biggrin.gif

J. Delaney

#2 Post by J. Delaney »

Ahem!! Thanks for the invite!

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

uurgh, uhh... well, I was LATE even getting out of town, and had no planned reservation -- I was just delivering a new machine down there, and was offered an empty site. I was sure surprised by the plethora of Cannondales!, all finely tuned and ripping the sand. And the women riders?... well, they held their own, darting all over the place at high speed , and even when riding double -- any of those gals could join the race circuit IMO.

But yep, with some actual planning time to reserve more spaces, we could have crashed the party with at least a dozen more units -- just from SOME of the NW members of this site!

Easy E

#4 Post by Easy E »

QUOTE (J. Delaney @ Jul 7 2007, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahem!! Thanks for the invite!

Hey J...also planning a trip to China Hat in September. Likely around the last week of the month. Keep some vacation time available!!

*** This has been an Official Thread Hijack *** ohmy.gif

Glamis#2

#5 Post by Glamis#2 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jul 7 2007, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I managed to catch the tail end of a great group ride at the Oregon Dunes. What started out as a typical dunes trip for theDeatons, cdsracer, tvanbokern, family, friends, etc -- well, it kind of expanded into an impromptu Cannondale West Coast event!

They tell me they peaked out at 14 Cannondales at one time (13 quads and 1 dirtbike), but a total of 16 or more were actually parked there over the 4th, and including a mystery stranger on a Glamis seen in the dunes.

Anyway, that is one great group of fine people!.... all helping each other, and doing what Cannondaleriders are famous for:... wrenching, riding, and enjoying each other's company.

Actually, wrenching was kept to a minimum, and mainly related to the pesky flywheels. Most of the machines ran flawlessly, as usual.

I just wanted to say thanks again guys and gals!, for the invitation and great hospitality. biggrin.gif

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

Ah great.... Hijacked again....

Boomer-It was great finally meeting you in person. Your quads are magnificent, and should be hung on a wall somewhere. As to the quads running flawlessly, we were very proud of that fact, after solving all of our electrical issues (mostly related to tightening the batteries down to much and shorting the insides out). These Timbo 450s are monsters, but I am still amazed at what hopping on a nicely tuned stocker can do for me, they rip! We will try to have some pictures up soon from the ride. Nothing like seeing nearly a dozen Dales parked by the ocean. Todd got some great videos of us jumping one of the dunes in 5th gear. Oh, and thanks for the great party favors (Dale parts), those are always welcome!!

On another note, I spoke with Wistech yesterday while he was driving through Chicago. He has converted four flywheels to steel so far. They each have six months of abuse on them and are doing great. He uses a lathe to get rid of all the aluminum, then makes a one piece steel hub/disk, and bonds the remaining steel ring with magnet array to that. He has a jig and everything. I offered him gobs of money to get us some, but he is out of time. Is this something you have the equipment for? I like the idea of no more cast aluminum. He said the weight came out to the same also!!! Let's talk more about this later.

Glamis#2

#7 Post by Glamis#2 »

Hey its the mystery Glamis you seen at Whinchester Bay Oregon.It was cool seeing all the Cannondales in the dunes.We had a great time until the last day when my bike would not start. It just turns over and over and no fire.Any ideas?

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

There you are!!! Awesome, I was just going to put a post up! I am the guy who stopped you in the dunes on the Moto. My wife has a Glamis also (#27)!. I would be inclined to check #1 your spark plug for fouling (if it is a CR9EK try going with a CR8EIX Iridium) and #2 your flywheel for signs of spinning. The flywheel is under the black plastic Cannondale cover on the right side of the engine. After pulling the nut and washer (17mm) you will need a flywheel puller to get it off the shaft. Make sure the keyway is lined up with the "C" in Cannondale on the side of the flywheel. I am willing to bet it is one of those two things. Let us know what's up, and post some pictures of that thing! Glad to see you made it home! James

cdsracer

#9 Post by cdsracer »

Dave,

It was great meeting up with you and seeing all of your shiny Cannondale gadgetry. I am anxious to get my Vapor hooked up and mounted, which, by the way I still have to paypal you for the mount. Everything ran great, very few problems for 5 days in the sand beating them like rented mules. Hopefully we can get the flywheels ironed out.

After spending that much time on the cool Oregon coast, I don't think any of us wanted to come back to the heat of Sacramento. It sounds like the Oregon dunes will become an annual summer trip for us. Maybe this will snowball and we can get more and more 'Dales out there every year.

Glamis #2, great to see you out there...thedeatons probably nailed it on your starting problem (other than checking to make sure that it has fuel). That is a beautiful Glamis you have, what a surprise it was for us to accidentally run into you. You were the only other Cannondale that we saw up there not in our group. Welcome to the forums.

It was truly a lot of fun being in the campgrounds with alien machines. We had so many people stop and look, asking where Cannondales came from, where they went and if they can keep up with a 450. All I can say is these bikes ROCK, I fall in love with my 'Dale every time I'm out there riding it relentlessly and I'm proud to be there with my Made In USA machine especially on a patriotic 4th of July. We as Cannondale riders are a very exclusive group.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

Thanks again Chris, for yanking me off the dunes. Sure enough, Trailtech had given me 50w lights, instead of a pair of 35's... unexpected bummer, and no jumper cables.... shame shame on me.

Glamis#2, we just have to meet up at Dunefest (Section E) in early August. I'm taking down a couple of tank fixes and other goodies to upgrade a 2006 ATK(actually it's a cable-clutch FX400 conversion), and for the long lost Glamis#1 !! Maybe a side-by-side picture of the two early Glamis will make the pages of Dirtwheels! You'll enjoy meeting Guy Berry with #1. And maybe we can get more 'dales down there. Hijackers welcome. Call me, thanks.. Dave