Oregon Dunes with the Deatons

Glamis#2

#21 Post by Glamis#2 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jul 7 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks again Chris, for yanking me off the dunes. Sure enough, Trailtech had given me 50w lights, instead of a pair of 35's... unexpected bummer, and no jumper cables.... shame shame on me.

Glamis#2, we just have to meet up at Dunefest (Section E) in early August. I'm taking down a couple of tank fixes and other goodies to upgrade a 2006 ATK(actually it's a cable-clutch FX400 conversion), and for the long lost Glamis#1 !! Maybe a side-by-side picture of the two early Glamis will make the pages of Dirtwheels! You'll enjoy meeting Guy Berry with #1. And maybe we can get more 'dales down there. Hijackers welcome. Call me, thanks.. Dave

I dont think were going to make it for Dunefest,but let me know how it went and if you see #1. Let us know how many Dales you see!

Glamis#2

#22 Post by Glamis#2 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jul 7 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks again Chris, for yanking me off the dunes. Sure enough, Trailtech had given me 50w lights, instead of a pair of 35's... unexpected bummer, and no jumper cables.... shame shame on me.

Glamis#2, we just have to meet up at Dunefest (Section E) in early August. I'm taking down a couple of tank fixes and other goodies to upgrade a 2006 ATK(actually it's a cable-clutch FX400 conversion), and for the long lost Glamis#1 !! Maybe a side-by-side picture of the two early Glamis will make the pages of Dirtwheels! You'll enjoy meeting Guy Berry with #1. And maybe we can get more 'dales down there. Hijackers welcome. Call me, thanks.. Dave

I dont think were going to make it for Dunefest,but let me know how it went and if you see #1. Let us know how many Dales you see!

funmachines

#23 Post by funmachines »

I bought the Glamis #25 from Jason Hawks. I've been doing maintenance (new A-arm bushings, ball joints, fixing oil leaks, etc.) I hope to get it up to the dunes one of these days to wring it out and hope to see some of the others. So far I've only used it in my 1 acre backyard track...

Brian

Glamis#2

#24 Post by Glamis#2 »

I need some help.As i said before my bike would not start my last day in Winchester Or. and i read all your advice but I finally tried to start it today and did start but was hard and it was smoking real bad and oil was dripping out of the exhaust.It did this one time before when I first bought it and I was told I had to much oil in it so I was told to put in 1700cc at the frame and 850cc motor.That seemed to solve the problem then but now its doing the same thing?Let me know what you guys think I need help!

kdeal

#25 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Glamis#2 @ Jul 21 2007, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need some help.As i said before my bike would not start my last day in Winchester Or. and i read all your advice but I finally tried to start it today and did start but was hard and it was smoking real bad and oil was dripping out of the exhaust.It did this one time before when I first bought it and I was told I had to much oil in it so I was told to put in 1700cc at the frame and 850cc motor.That seemed to solve the problem then but now its doing the same thing?Let me know what you guys think I need help!

What you have my friend is a sticking check ball in your oil pump. This allows the oil to drain back into the motor from the frame and overfill the motor. Whenever this happens and it is very hard to start, pull the spark plug and crank the motor over a few times to clear the cylinder. Watch out for flying oil (it's best to loosely put a rag over the plug hole). The only permanent fix is to go into the motor and replace or repair the oil pump. Some have had luck with just changing the oil or blowing low pressure oil thru the system to try and dislodge any contaminents that may be causing the ball to stick open.

thedeatons

#26 Post by thedeatons »

I think Ken has it right on this one. The rule of thumb for an oil change is that after you drain the two frame drains, then drain the sump at the bottom of the engine (while tipping the quad to get everything out), then do the filter changeout. After this process just add one quart to the frame under the right headlight cover. The entire oil system only take 1.5 quarts, and you simply can't get that last .5 quart out in a standard oil change. So, adding the one quart will fill it to just the right level while not overfilling, which will cause hydrolock. This system has been used by us west coasters for six years now with zero problems, unless someone adds more than one quart.... smile.gif

While you are in there swap to a CR8EIX NGK plug, which is the 8 Iridium. No more fouling problems during startup after that.

Glamis#2

#27 Post by Glamis#2 »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jul 22 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Ken has it right on this one. The rule of thumb for an oil change is that after you drain the two frame drains, then drain the sump at the bottom of the engine (while tipping the quad to get everything out), then do the filter changeout. After this process just add one quart to the frame under the right headlight cover. The entire oil system only take 1.5 quarts, and you simply can't get that last .5 quart out in a standard oil change. So, adding the one quart will fill it to just the right level while not overfilling, which will cause hydrolock. This system has been used by us west coasters for six years now with zero problems, unless someone adds more than one quart.... smile.gif

While you are in there swap to a CR8EIX NGK plug, which is the 8 Iridium. No more fouling problems during startup after that.

Thanks for the advice guys.I have a question about draining the oil at two places at the frame.I only drained the oil at the back of the motor where it goes into the frame and at the bottom of engine at two places.Is there another place i am missing?Let me know if I am doing something wrong.Thanks for all the help.

cannondale27

#28 Post by cannondale27 »

Look for the two little outfits that look like brake bleeders.Those remove the oil from the frame.One is located below the oil fill hole(dipstick) of frame.Other is right above swingarmbolt left side.

thedeatons

#29 Post by thedeatons »

Good point to tell him what they look like... Nice catch...

Glamis#2

#30 Post by Glamis#2 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 22 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look for the two little outfits that look like brake bleeders.Those remove the oil from the frame.One is located below the oil fill hole(dipstick) of frame.Other is right above swingarmbolt left side.

Thanks for telling me about the one below the dipstick because I didnt drain that one the last time.Now do I put oil just in the frame below the headlight cover only?Or do I put some in the motor on the left side dipstick also?If so how much.