wheres glamis?

BSLEETER

#1 Post by BSLEETER »

i live in illinois, how much should it cost to go there and ride?

jniebuhr

#2 Post by jniebuhr »

QUOTE (XxbjsleeterxX @ Feb 4 2008, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They will except your local ORV tag but you will need to buy a parking/camping pass around $25 for the week.
remember your flags!

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

It all depends on how you get your quad there, if you fly, your fuel economy, number of people going, etc....

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl About 1900 miles from the center of Illinois.

1900 miles / 15 mpg (at best) = 127 gallons of gas

127 gallons of gas / 20 gallons = 6.35 tanks of gas

127 gallons * $3.00 per gallon = $381 one way trip

Now, 15 mpg is almost because of the elevation changes to get out there. You're probably going to average about 12 with a full sized truck and no trailer. Also, this is just gas. 28 hours one way. If you drive 10 hours per day, that's 2.8 days to get there. That means you'll have to stay hotel or whatever one night. After 8 hours on the road, I would like to sleep in a real bed. Add $100. You're going to eat probably. If you do restaurants, you might as well say $5 per meal. $15 per day for 3 days. $45.

Then after all that...you're going to need quad gas, food for staying in the desert because there's nothing out there or close for that matter. Then you get to pack up and do it all over again...without the excitement of riding in the dunes when you're done traveling. Have fun!!! Been there done that... Definitely worth it!!!

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

You'd be better off in my opinion going to St. Anthony's Idaho or Sand Mt. Nevada... Somewhere where there are bigger dunes. Big dunes leave you breathless, and will turn anyone into a believer in sand. Glamis is crowded, small in relation to height of dunes, and expensive. Don't get me wrong, any sand is fun, and if that's all ya got, then cool, but I like the big stuff. Sand Mt. has 600 ft of elevation from bottom to top, and riding the ridge 600 ft up is amazing, then popping over the ridge and flying down the other side, amazing. Breathtaking...

jinx44

#5 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (XxbjsleeterxX @ Feb 5 2008, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bo, a few friends would go to Little Sahara, OK every year to ride and they loved it. I haven't been to any big sand, so i wouldn't know how it compares, but it would definetly be closer.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

We will have a Cannondale trip to Little Sahara Utah and then up to St Anthonies sometime in june. If you want to tag along and divy up fuel and hotels your welcome to. Its around 3600 miles round trip from here.

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

When we went to Glamis, it was the weekend before presidents day and it was not crowded at all. Besides...when its crowded is when they have the best parties. cool.gif

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

No parties for us, we are conservative with young children and recovering alcoholics in our group. We ride sober and often. Typically a 3 hour ride then a 1 hour break, repeat, repeat, repeat....

J. Delaney

#9 Post by J. Delaney »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 5 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'd be better off in my opinion going to St. Anthony's Idaho or Sand Mt. Nevada... Somewhere where there are bigger dunes. Big dunes leave you breathless, and will turn anyone into a believer in sand. Glamis is crowded, small in relation to height of dunes, and expensive. Don't get me wrong, any sand is fun, and if that's all ya got, then cool, but I like the big stuff. Sand Mt. has 600 ft of elevation from bottom to top, and riding the ridge 600 ft up is amazing, then popping over the ridge and flying down the other side, amazing. Breathtaking...

Dude! Don't tell them about the "real" sand dunes! It's supposed to be a secret. I tell everyone that Utah and Idaho have nothing when comparing it to California. Don't waste your time going to LS or St. A's. Glamis is where it's at!

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Sounds pretty boring. J/k. Riding is definitely the main focus. I don't really party any when riding unless its an overnight thing. I can't stand when people mix riding and drinking. I know about alcoholism all too well. Its terrible and I think its great that you help with the recoveries.

But I'm 25 and I like to party without overdoing it. I would love to spend any of those holidays at glamis.