Cheesehead Glamis Trip

Kuma

#31 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Sandstorm @ Nov 16 2008, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys have fun. I really wouldn't go to Dumont on the way back. Im curious to hear what dunes are the best after you get back. Have fun warm the weather will be nice!

I am curious, why would you advise against going to Dumont?
Dumont has some great dunes.

Sandstorm

#32 Post by Sandstorm »

I've been there. I ride LS, Utah since I live 90 miles away. Sa's is 4hrs away. Glamis has nothing on Utah dunes and Sa's is better then Glamis. Dumont is just to small. Big dunes but just to small. No Glamis haters bagging on me. I've been to all four places. Have fun at Glamis the warm weather is a nice change in the middle of winter.

thedeatons

#33 Post by thedeatons »

Sand Mountain, NV is super fun in December/January. Freezing cold, no one is there (but us). Snow on top of frozen sand is awesome with paddles! We were sledding down the backside of the drag hill, 600' straight down.... It was the best trip ever...

Canniboomer

#34 Post by Canniboomer »

I have to wonder if Sandstorm has been to the SE corner of Glamis-Imperial near Yuma -- you will find virgin bowls there one after another, and open desert trails on the edges -- and big sand a-plenty with lots of variety. It's hard to beat 70 degress in the winter anyway. I have not been across I-8 to the Buttercup area yet, but that also sounds interesting. Glamis is HUGE, and it takes more than one trip to take it all in.

rayspeed

#35 Post by rayspeed »

If we start the trip off in Gordens it is a fairly short ride over the highway to buttercup to take a day trip over there or trailer over either way. There is a bowl there that measures almost 3/10ths of a mile from one end to the other! Fifth gear all the way and wishing for a sixth gear! The terrain is a little more tricky there with more razor backs, witches eyes and just plain weird spots so I would do that the last day before heading to G so that everyone is comfortable riding the sand. You can see that whole area in one good long ride.
Would like to start off there cause I can fill the moho with water just before pulling in and can refill if we go up to Glamis for the rest of the week.... so showers for anyone that wants one will not be a problem.
Ray

desertbound

#36 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Nov 18 2008, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we start the trip off in Gordens it is a fairly short ride over the highway to buttercup to take a day trip over there or trailer over either way. There is a bowl there that measures almost 3/10ths of a mile from one end to the other! Fifth gear all the way and wishing for a sixth gear! The terrain is a little more tricky there with more razor backs, witches eyes and just plain weird spots so I would do that the last day before heading to G so that everyone is comfortable riding the sand. You can see that whole area in one good long ride.
Would like to start off there cause I can fill the moho with water just before pulling in and can refill if we go up to Glamis for the rest of the week.... so showers for anyone that wants one will not be a problem.
Ray

buttercup is awesome and I know it like the back of my hand. I can take you to some very cool spots. That bowl Ray is speaking of is called Jeep. There is one behind it that is even bigger.

So will this be anyone's first trip to the dunes?? If so, I can't wait to see their faces when they hit the big bowls behind Osborne Lookout.

Ray, we need to take them to the Super Bowl at Gordons also. The big one behind and to the east Test. Gonna be a fun trip for sure.

mydreamride

#37 Post by mydreamride »

It'll be my first time to real dunes, Silver Lake is fun for what it is and probably wount even compare to out west. Getting more anxious.

thedeatons

#38 Post by thedeatons »

RV Tip: Buy a twin sized air mattress. Place on roof of RV in the rear. Fill with water in addition to filling the fresh water tank. Whe your tank runs out gravity feed water from the mattress to the tank inlet. Be sure to have the conversion fittings with you and a clean transfer hose.

Boat ballast bags (FatSacs) also work well, and can be placed on the trailer or in the basements of some RVs. You will need a pump for it to work but it works spectacularly. I got rid of my twin mattress for a 720lb FatSac in the back of my dually. Water for 7+ days....

cannondale27

#39 Post by cannondale27 »

I was at the big ones in Utah and Idaho few years back for a week but was just getting comfortable by end of week so having some experienced guides is almost a necessity for us flatlanders.I cant wait!Just got my Trailtech HID's today so plan on some night riding.

Sandstorm

#40 Post by Sandstorm »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 18 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was at the big ones in Utah and Idaho few years back for a week but was just getting comfortable by end of week so having some experienced guides is almost a necessity for us flatlanders.I cant wait!Just got my Trailtech HID's today so plan on some night riding.

Rayspeed leads a very good brisk pace. I liked his pace alot. Buddah is still the best. He goes to fast most of the time. Nobody can read the dunes like he does and lead the pace he does when the dunes get smaller and quicker decisions need to be made to keep the pace fast and flowing.