Cheesehead Glamis Trip

gml1998

#41 Post by gml1998 »

It will be my first time to any real dunes. I've been to Nellis dunes Near Las Vegas on rented quads, and Badlands in Indiana which has pea gravel "dunes".
All you pro duners will probably leave me in the dust.

desertbound

#42 Post by desertbound »

We usually ride pretty quick, but obviously will slow it down for th new comers.

Steve, night rides are the best!

speedracer

#43 Post by speedracer »

Say,whats a witch's eye?

speedracer

#44 Post by speedracer »

You guys in the west are LUCKY!

desertbound

#45 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Nov 19 2008, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Say,whats a witch's eye?

Awwww, you just pin it and hope you clear it. Ha ha ha.

thedeatons

#46 Post by thedeatons »

Exactly right....

The key to any dunes is to pin it... Pointed up a hill steeper than the front of your house? Pin it.

Come up to an 8 ft. dropoff? Pin it. Gotta flip over to the other side of a ridge while 600 ft up? Pin it.

Some yack in a Rhino wants to race you up the hill? Pin it.....

Dales go anywhere in the sand, just pin it. Never found a hill we couldn't conquer...

rayspeed

#47 Post by rayspeed »

I'm a big believer in the pin it theory as it has saved me before until day before Brandon showed up! I was leading in fresh blown sand in the tight dunes and ran into a trap that had about a three foot high steep step in it and too steep around it to go around. I was going too fast to stop and if I woud have tried or just hit it like a jump I would have had a trip over the bars. So I nailed it to get the front end up and when the rear tires hit and launced the back half of the quad into my bottom side I thought it was going to drive my spine thru my skull!
Good thing I have a personal friend that is a quad rider and a great quackerpractor!

Witches eyes I guess are formed when one of those mini tornadoes or dust devils we call them suck a big hole in the sand in mostly pedictable but sometimes random places. They can be enough to swallow your front end to a whole sand car! If you are not leading chances are they won't be a problem as long as you don't venture too far out of line.

speedracer

#48 Post by speedracer »

I guess their hard to see until its to late,I wouldnt care,sand it kinda soft!

Kuma

#49 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Nov 20 2008, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess their hard to see until its to late,I wouldnt care,sand it kinda soft!

they don't feel so soft when their deep enough for your bumper to hit, you speed goes to zero real quick!

cannondale27

#50 Post by cannondale27 »

I screwed up pretty quickly at Utah. Was following and stopped for a minute to adjust shock. The group got ahead so I played catchup and very quickly went over a good 20 ft drop. Thank God for good suspension! Alot of these drops have rock piles at bottom so could have been very bad. Stuck close after that! Speeds are so fast and you can easily misjudge the sand.