Cheesehead Glamis Trip

claas900

#191 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Jan 4 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I drained the tank and ran vp c12 this time as C27 suggested. The sound is more like a grinding. At first I thought the chain was rubbing on the frame. But it wasn't.

It runs like a raped ape. No power loss at all.

I had a funny noise onetime also,took a wile to figure out. But the shield that's around the rear brake master cylinder was rubbing on the chain and swing arm. Also make sure your chain isn't rubbing the frame brace below the swingarm.

cannondale27

#192 Post by cannondale27 »

I had that guard issue once also.Good one.Sure sounds like chain issue.For a test just tighten chain up tight and see if it goes away.Dont run it like that though.If you are running a 13t sprocket it also will add to the racket as I found out this past week.Wish you could have made Glamis I bet you wouldnt be worrying anymore.

Back to the trip.

Here is my favorite pic taken at HotWells in Arizona.
[attachment=7861:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]

As you may know we did this trip on a budget.Camping as much as possible.We ate cheap and very well.Most food cooked over a open fire with my tripod grill.MMmm!

[attachment=7862:Glamis_Trip_024.jpg]
[attachment=7863:Glamis_Trip_025.jpg]
[attachment=7864:Glamis_Trip_038.jpg]
[attachment=7865:Glamis_Trip_037.jpg]

More HotWells area pics taken right from our campsite which was at least 20min from nearest named road and 5minutes 4x4 road.Always wanted to do the desert.Was well worth wait.Will be more prepared for temps next time though.70deg+ during day an I saw 18deg at night!
[attachment=7867:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7868:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7869:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7870:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7871:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]

cannondale27

#193 Post by cannondale27 »

I can't remember names I apologize. But this was the party van at Glamis in our camp. Guy had a Digital projector which we watched videos some of which I took that same day. Cool setup and check out the clown!Right out of Stephen King movie laugh.gif

[attachment=7866:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]

cannondale27

#194 Post by cannondale27 »

New Mexico mountains.Got pretty hairy up there.Since weather was great we took some LowRange 4x4 roads over the mountains in the Custer Natl Forest.No Guardrails on most of these roads.
[attachment=7872:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7873:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7875:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7877:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7878:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7879:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]
[attachment=7879:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]

cannondale27

#195 Post by cannondale27 »

Only pics I have of Little Sahara OK.Lot of video of all the areas but even that was only taken when we would stop and turn it on which wasnt very often!Most of the really cool stuff we were just having to much fun to worry about taking pics.
[attachment=7881:Glamis_T..._Medium_.jpg]

This one here was after the wind whipped the dunes up really good.Area changed alot in minutes.MyDreamride was leading and we took a normal treeshot but trail had dissappeared.He made it but I was too close and had to slow too much.Didnt make the climb but didnt fall into the swamp below either laugh.gif
[attachment=7882:PICT0007.JPG]

2000ex

#196 Post by 2000ex »

Desertbound, I agree that it could very well be the chain rubbing against the guard on the rear master cylinder. This has happened to me a few times, but now I know that sound. Also, I have sometimes had the chain rubbing on one of the heads of the swingarm skid bolts causing a grinding noise as well.

Check your chain for any rubbing.

NRath

#197 Post by NRath »

27 & Dreamride- That looks like such an awesome trip!! Definitely a memory for a lifetime! I want another one for myself! That was truly an adventure- glad you got to do it.

The baja style riding looks like it would be such a blast! And tree shooting has got to be awesome, too!

I know what you mean about the hard time taking pics. All the best pics are left in your head as memories- no time to take pics when you're having fun.

Glad you guys made it home safe and had an awesome trip!!!

rayspeed

#198 Post by rayspeed »

Glad to hear you guys made it back safe and had such a good time. I was happy to do what I could to help and it was an honor to lead such a great group of exceptional riders.
You guys and anyone else is welcome to come down anytime!

BTW that was Tom Hamilton on the two wheels... he is the one that came up with a process for ceramic coating pistons and heads with none of the defects typically found with other processes. Will try it out on a 450 piston in my next build.
Ray

mydreamride

#199 Post by mydreamride »

Heres a few Pics I took at Little Sahara OK when Cannondale27 made me ride alone for about an hour (blames it ont the pig AKA Raptor) but did alot of jumping during that hour. Thank god for the LT suspension on my yfz because a few drop offs on the backside of a dune showed up out of know where laugh.gif . Trip was definately worth the long drive. Also here a pic of 450blaze (Joel Hayes right) and 2003cannondale (alex middle) when we ran into them at LS OK (last pic)

cannondale27

#200 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes I will admit maybe its my age or the beating I took on the Brontasaurus(Raptor) but I just was shot that morning. Sure wish we would have gotten to do more riding with those guys. Timing never worked out for it. 2003cannondale where did you go? If you still want to check your ECU just box it up and send it over. Not a problem.