Silver Lake

MX Quad Dad

#1 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Supposed to head out there tomorrow night to ride on Sunday. Will have two dales. a speed and a moto, both in cannibal costumes. should be a few more in our group but our rides are the only good ones laugh.gif

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

On the way to the dunes we stoped in Portland for fuel and my son noticed two Dales on a trailer that pulled in. So I went over to check them out and found out they were ScramblerXLE's. I talked to him for a few, then he told me about some bad luck he had.

Nice meeting you and hope the dale is OK.

On to the dunes:

I borrowed some paddles this time and think if I do much more duneing I'll get me a set. I haven't really been to the dunes much but in the past the tops of all the dunes were well rounded but this time they were peaked and were pretty steep on the down side, there were also some drop offs. Nothing too severe but made me run with caution because I couldn't remember where they were. I do think the paddles really helped on the peaks because they allowed me to slow down to roll over the peaks without getting stuck.

Even with the bad it was a great time. Not enough riding (because of the bad) but I did see some nice dune machines, custom rigs too.

The bad sad.gif My quad started pushing coolant out fairly early. It seemed to me it was the water pump seal (weep hole), so I just kept an eye on coolant level. Stopped often to check and top off the coolant and it did seem to be running a little warm so I sat out every now and then for it to cool down. Towards the end of the day I was running pretty fast and it quit. Hit the starter and it fired right up a couple dunes latter it quit again. Coolant seemed to be bubbling so we sat for a few minutes since we were out of the flow of traffic. After a few seconds I realized the fan wasn't running (it was running every time I had stopped earlier) about that time the fan turned on. Odd I thought. after a short wait It was getting time to go, so I headed for the truck. It fired right up, ran for a couple thousand feet and quit. Hit the starter and it fired right back up. It ran a few hundered feet and quit again. I didn't even stop, just hit the start button without pulling in the clutch (still have the clutch switch hooked up). It would refire and run for few hundred feet. So after this I was thinking about the fan not running for that few seconds then turning on. Is it possible the fan quit while riding?

I'm thinking about running it a little this weekend to see if it still stalls frequently.

I should add. I did pull the bleed hose off the coolant bottle and blew thru it and also siphoned coolant up thru it and there seemed to be no blockage. Radiator was hot top and bottom and bike seemed to run fine.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen?