What to do with the kids on a dune vacation ?

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Overkill and I took our families out west for a multi stop vacation. The one I was looking forward to is St Anthonies. But what to do with 2 wives and 3 kids who have never seen a dune before. Call PMS (performance motor sports) and get hooked up with some butt kicken buggies. Strap them in and watch them scream and eventually cry. Well at least the wives cried. ohmy.gif I was amazed at how good these little 4x4's do in the sand. We switched off riding the Dale and RAZRS and they are maybe 80 percent as fun as a quad. Of course they couldn't do the big dunes, but had no trouble just playing around and jumping.
I was worried about the auto clutch in Karen's Moto after hearing stories of failures but I geared the quad down as far as possible and it performed flawlessly.
Since it was our first stop I became a chicken about taking the bike out in the sand and didn't want to hurt myself and ruin the next 2 weeks so it stayed in the parking lot for the bewildered onlookers who have never seen a Cannondale bike.
I don't have software on my laptop to convert video but when I get home I will post up a little quad play time.

It looks like plans are in the works for yet another return to the dunes this fall but it will be an all guy trip. laugh.gif

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

The kids learned the hard way not to play in the sand with riding gear on. LOL It gets everwhere.....

speedracer

#3 Post by speedracer »

How did you like the 4 seat rzr?Looks like a great time.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

You know even though it was a bit heavier and had the 800cc engine it did everything the 2 seater did. Even fully loaded.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

After 4300 miles and 7 states worth of touring at last we made it home. I whipped this vid up this morning for your viewing pleasure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EJNEtyIVQ

speedracer

#6 Post by speedracer »

Nice vid. That is a tall dune. I guess that is your auto clutch dale since there is no lever, how do you like it?

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

For me I seem to spend too much time on worrying about the gear that I am in because the dang clutch is so smooth on engagement that its hard to tell when it may be slipping at lower rpms. As a result I tended to keep it in a lower gear than needed like when going up the hill I downshifted out of 3rd into 2nd when it may have made it up in 3rd. I do worry about my wife when she drives it because she has very little experience with manual trannies. She has a slight issue with shifting the tranny as its getting a bit notchy to shift after 10,000 miles of abuse.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

BlackToothGrin

#9 Post by BlackToothGrin »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jun 27 2011, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's the deal with no clutch lever? Are you running a slipper clutch? Or is it an auto clutch? I thought a slipper is for when the wheels are spinning faster than the engine and not the other way around. Are you able to just slam through the gears without lifting the throttle? Please explain!

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

I slam through the gears on all my quads regardless of a clutch.LOL I think slipper clutches are for motards. Im using an auto clutch on that quad just to make life easier for my wife. Unless your a dedicated GNC racer I see no other need for an auto clutch.