little sahara OK in july ?

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

We have been debating on weather to go back to St Anthony (1450 miles),killpecker WY(1300 miles) or little sahara OK (920 miles) or just saying the heck a dune ride and going to majestic PA 850 miles. I have a vacation black out again for august and september so the trip will have to be in july or october. Is it even possible to dune at little sahara in july? I know with the altitude and dry air killpecker and ST anthony is doable even if it gets close to 100 degrees. One of our local guys was just at Little sahara and he said it was over 100 and just bearable. One deal breaker for me was the guide said the dunes are only 75 feet high in OK. Is that true? The only thing it really has going for it is its an easy days drive so we could do it in a long weekend.
I am most interested in the PA ride because I have not been there in 2 years and I already hit the dunes. Plus Tim has a dyno now . Michigan is also another idea but not the crappy dunes . We have some new members in MI and some of the sandy trails might be fun in the northern part of the lower pennensula.

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

I have buddys that have been to little sahara,the dunes are small.July,wow talk about hot.OK.is alittle south of me,its just too hot to ride in July unless its the morning or evening.Not only the heat the humidty really zaps you. High temp.for Friday,July 1, 99 deg.in STL.Dangerous heat.I also heard its a rowdy place.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Oklahoma is just slightly better than Silver Lake MI.One day is enough.I will say the guys there love to drag race unlike some other dunes where most just watch.Is some small tree shots that were alot of fun.Is some nice hills but they are to far apart to get any good rhythm.Is a big forest to ride in in Missouri which is on the way so that would make trip worth it to do both.

dunnbandit1

#4 Post by dunnbandit1 »

If you go to majestic let me know I could ride with ya for a day
Only 200 miles from my place

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jun 29 2011, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oklahoma is just slightly better than Silver Lake MI.One day is enough.I will say the guys there love to drag race unlike some other dunes where most just watch.Is some small tree shots that were alot of fun.Is some nice hills but they are to far apart to get any good rhythm.Is a big forest to ride in in Missouri which is on the way so that would make trip worth it to do both.Yes it called Chadwick.Many miles of trails.If you do go to L.S. you should swing by St.Joe park,that is if you like to sand drag and ride nasty trails.

speedracer

#6 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jun 29 2011, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oklahoma is just slightly better than Silver Lake MI.One day is enough.I will say the guys there love to drag race unlike some other dunes where most just watch.Is some small tree shots that were alot of fun.Is some nice hills but they are to far apart to get any good rhythm.Is a big forest to ride in in Missouri which is on the way so that would make trip worth it to do both. Yes it called Chadwick.Many miles of trails.If you do go to L.S. you should swing by St.Joe park,that is if you like to sand drag and ride nasty trails.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Humidity sucks mad.gif On the 2008 dune trip Sandstorm told us the heat was to high in june /july for duning at little sahara UT. Man it was so dry we were in heaven coming from the midwest.

svahle

#8 Post by svahle »

I ride Little Sahara in OK 3-5 times a year. For what its worth, I don't think you'll wanna be there in July. As mentioned above, it will be miserably hot. The biggest dunes are said to be 70-80 feet tall. Frankly, I prefer riding all the sand trails which keeps me occcupied for a few days. When it isn't so hot, and the place is full of riders, the sand drags are fun. But, this time of year, noone will be there. I've been there once in July and there was only one other campsite occupied.