Mig Welding question

cdalerider75

Mig Welding question

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

OK so looking for someone that knows what they are talking about regarding MIG welders or welding the subframe and other such items.....

What could you get away with, cheap.. doesn't have to be the best...

What do you need to look for when buying a Mig welder?

jacobw

#2 Post by jacobw »

Hobart's are really good welders!

cdsracer

#3 Post by cdsracer »

I have a Lincoln Electric WeldPak 100 that I have set up for aluminum...I had to weld a crack in my engine cradle and it has been holding up very well. My radiator mounting tab broke off and I repaired that as well, no problems either. Welding aluminum with a MIG is very tricky, and not the best way to go, but it works.

61austin

#4 Post by 61austin »

In my opinion Millers are the best, I have never used anything else that welds as smooth. If you are getting a smaller one make sure you get one that has a high enough amp rating to weld the thickness of metal you are planning to use it on.

cdalerider75

#5 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by 61austin
In my opinion Millers are the best, I have never used anything else that welds as smooth. If you are getting a smaller one make sure you get one that has a high enough amp rating to weld the thickness of metal you are planning to use it on.

Can you explain more?
high enough amp rating to weld the thickness of metal you are planning to use it on

Also.. how cheap do you think I can get one for? ballpark

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

If you want good strong nice looking welds tack your parts together with a mig and then take them to a shop that does TIG welding. Mig welding aluminum is a pain in the but.

61austin

#7 Post by 61austin »

Originally posted by cdalerider75
Can you explain more?
high enough amp rating to weld the thickness of metal you are planning to use it on

Also.. how cheap do you think I can get one for? ballpark

The amps determine the amount of heat that is produced by the arc. Each welder had an adjustment for it but the maximum on some of the smaller home garage type welders isn't even enough to weld 1/8" steel. If you talk to a welding supply dealer they should be able to answer any questions you might have about what size of welder you need and what the setup will cost you.

If you plan to weld aluminum I would have to agree with wistech, it is possible to make good welds with a mig but it isn't easy.

cdrookie

#8 Post by cdrookie »

you're making R conversion kits and don't know much about welding? you don't care how it looks? and sounds like you want the cheapest welder you can find...:confused:

cdalerider75

#9 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by cdrookie
you're making R conversion kits and don't know much about welding? you don't care how it looks? and sounds like you want the cheapest welder you can find...:confused:

First good question.. second You assume WAY TO MUCH...

I am looking for one so I can learn... OK... any welding that I might have to have done will be farmed out...

I am the guy with the money... not much but I think enough to come up with a kit that most people can purchase... that includes the young ones with the paper routes....

I took a welding class way back in highschool where we used a torch and arc welder... I also worked for my uncle way back.. where I did some welding.. but I don't remember how much or what to buy.. so what do I do.. ask...

So I can learn...

I hope that cleared up what was confusing.

fig

#10 Post by fig »

This is a decent quick article to read.

http://www.weldingmart.com/mig_welding.htm